The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 419 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 21  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:51 pm 
Hi Davide,

Thanks for your pictures! Both are rather well known ones indeed...

The first shows Rodney AFTER her June-August 1941 refit in Boston, as can be seen by the 271 radar lantern in the main mast, which was fitted then. The second is in fact her sister Nelson, taken in (I think) the Firth of Forth in 1941, that can be seen from the two UP launchers each on B and X turret, instead of the aircraft catapult on X turret and the two much smaller 20mm guns on B turret... The maker of the book didn't bother very much to include accurate pictures of Rodney at the time of the Bismarck hunt.

But anyway many thanks for sharing the pictures! Let's keep up the conversation.

Cheers,
Maarten

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:34 am 

Hi gents,

Does anybode have detailed drawings of the QF 4.7" Mk VIII HA guns that were fitted to Rodney and Nelson?

My 1:350 scratchbuilt has come to the point of adding those, but besides some good pictures I have no clue about the right dimensions.

Help please!

Maarten

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:08 am 

Nelson with degaussing cable.
Attachment:
nelson.JPG
nelson.JPG [ 54.51 KiB | Viewed 2934 times ]

Attachment:
nelson2.JPG
nelson2.JPG [ 59.75 KiB | Viewed 2934 times ]

Attachment:
nelson3.JPG
nelson3.JPG [ 55.25 KiB | Viewed 2934 times ]

Attachment:
nelson4.JPG
nelson4.JPG [ 62.31 KiB | Viewed 2934 times ]

Attachment:
nelson5.JPG
nelson5.JPG [ 64.77 KiB | Viewed 2934 times ]

Attachment:
nelson6.JPG
nelson6.JPG [ 64.77 KiB | Viewed 2934 times ]

Measure twice, cut once. Measuring once could be quicker...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:56 am 

Those are nice shots. It's quite interesting that these twin cables have a thickness variation as is observed for other cables as well.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:39 am 

I would like to see them personally in 1/350 scale, wonder if they will ever be produced. Nearest is the 1/600 and 1/700 scale

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:33 pm 

Anyone aware of a 1:700 scale wooden deck available for Rodney or Nelson kits?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:02 am 

Hi all,

While working on my 1:350 scratch built Rodney, building and detailing her 4.7" QF Mk VIII guns appeared to be not so simple, as there was no graphical documentation around, anywhere! Also AJ Press' monograph on Nelson/Rodney has an glaring omission here.

But John Lambert came to the rescue! When I contacted him and related my search, he had to admit that he didn't have anything on these particular guns, and that he had been searching too for many years. But he would give it another try!

After several months he could tell me he had found an original manual for these guns in the Public Records Office in Kew, with a whole set of plans. Currently he is working to turn these into a set of plans to fit in his catalogue.

http://www.lambert-plans.com/

So, if you are in search for this detail info for your Rodney/Nelson model, turn to John Lambert!

John, thanks for your enthousiasm and the great help you have given!

Maarten

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:53 am 

USS California BB44 wrote:
These might help.

Where can I see more pics of this build?I'd really like to do this scheme.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:16 am 

The builder of this fine looking 1/350 model is Phil Reeder of Hull England, a very talented fellow. I do believe more photos can be found on either Britmodeler or in the Gallery section of this site. I know Phil frequents this web site and I’m sure he will post something here for you.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:49 am 

Hi TI4438,

I am just near completion of my 1:72 scale HMS RODNEY refit. She is in the same camouflage pattern as Phil Reeder's (with the exception of the upper deck camouflage paint, which was only applied for six or seven months during 1942), and you are welcome to use this larger scale as a template.

Phil and I know each other on another Forum, so I am sure that he wouldn't mind me sharing the same camouflage pattern with you.

Attached is an image taken at Weymouth IMMF last month (minus her 6"secondary armament) and there are plenty more taken from different angles.

Regards,

Sandy.

Attachments:
Weymouth Show 001.jpg
Weymouth Show 001.jpg [ 148.39 KiB | Viewed 2495 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:39 pm 

OMG that is awesome!!!!

Thanks.I'll be scoping it out for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:16 am 

The scheme is certainly awesome, nothing wrong with that!

But is this really the Rodney? Not only the secondary armament is missing, there is really no room for it either! Where's the broad beam of her rear deck?

This looks almost like a cruiser hull being used to mimic a Rodney! Not a battleship definitely...

@ Phil Reeder: I like your clever conversion of a KGV hull into Rodney very much, but this one is also lacking somewhat of the width towards the rear, as you must have noticed too. Those secondary batteries really needed more aft body added to the hull.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:00 am 

TI4438,

thanks for your comment.

As you have observed, I put the image up to help you with the CAMOUFLAGE PATTERN.

I didn't put it up for the purpose of critique. So I'm very sorry if the picture offends your very high standards Maaaarten. :huh: The hull was moulded (not by me) quite some years ago from a club battleship mould and built originally by two guys (one of whom died some time ago). When next I visit his grave, would you like me to mention your opinion??

So, TI4438, if you would like further images of the CAMOUFLAGE PATTERN, please e-mail me your requirements via this site and I will be very happy to oblige. :smallsmile:

Sandy.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:32 am 

Hi Sandy, all,

Well, I'm not offended by anyone, and neither are 'my' standards! No hard feelings whatsoever. Thank you for posting your reply.

Everyone is free to make a model just the way he (she) feels it to be allright. So if that's Rodney for you, that's fine. And sorry if I did offend you by my critique! That was not my purpose. Maybe I put it a little too direct.

Besides sharing the results of our modelling projects, on this forum there are many people as well trying to collect information to improve their models. Much of the information is hard to get by and critique is one way of selecting the information, to see what is right or less so in eachothers contributions. And sure I can tell you, mine aren't flawless either. So, critique is always welcome.

And yes, my name is really spelled with two 'a's, which is a very common vowel in Dutch. No bragging nickname at all, therefore.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:11 pm 

I'd be happy with a shot of the starboard side!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:56 pm 

I'm considering converting a 1/400 or 1/350 KGV class into Rodney during 1942/43. Any suggestions as to which plans are actually necessary? I know I would need a main deck plan in scale, but what else? If anyone already has plans in one of these scales and could make copies I'd pay for them.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:50 pm 

drdoom1337 wrote:
I'm considering converting a 1/400 or 1/350 KGV class into Rodney during 1942/43. Any suggestions as to which plans are actually necessary? I know I would need a main deck plan in scale, but what else? If anyone already has plans in one of these scales and could make copies I'd pay for them.

If I recall, someone has already done that. I have no idea who though.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:14 am 

USS California BB44 wrote:
drdoom1337 wrote:

If I recall, someone has already done that. I have no idea who though.

Phil Reeder over at Britmodeller

He used the Tamiya knock-off from China for the basis.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:24 am 

Phil's Rodney can also be seen here: http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:08 pm 

Ah ha!
So that's the Rodney,not the Nelson!
What to do about that catapult?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 419 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 21  Next