The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 419 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 21  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:16 pm 

I have decided my next build will be the Tamiya 1/700 HMS Nelson,I really would like to go to town on this one and really enhance the model as much as possible.
Would any kind person here have any suggestions as to after market additions and any tips on how to bring the best out of this kit?

Thank you in advance

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:49 am 

Hi Zaladis

There are many builders that paved the way for you, if you look into the Gallery you'll find them. Several have detailed all the aftermarket stuff they threw in, but remember it's the skill that makes the model perfect, not the goodies themselves! Just a few excellent examples I knew of:

Paul Neuhaus, Bernd Villhauer (twice), Kostas Katseas, Jim Baumann (Rodney)

http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html

Also a buildup article by Blackbrazen on the forum, not fully complete yet I believe:

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=50774

Enjoy!
Maarten

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:25 am 

Thank you Maarten

Greatly appreciated indeed. :thumbs_up_1:
Skill is something we all have in our own little way and after looking at those excellent galleries I know I am in very good company,always like to think the most important aspect is that we are simply enjoying ourselves,whatever level we work at.
I like to bring something a little different to my models and already have an idea or two for my model of HMS Nelson,cant wait to get going on this one :wave_1: .

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:33 am 

Just a single picture to show a little of the progress with my 1/350 scratch built Rodney.

I'm more and more amazed how badly documented her configuration on May 27th 1941 was (in my view her 'finest moment', when she pounded Bismarck into a blazing wreck), all I can do is just arguing and guessing what had been already installed or removed, and what was to be added later in her life.

The catapult is completely scratchbuilt from pictures, the aircraft crane was of almost the same type as installed on the Repulse, and I am going to use one from the Trumpeter kit's PE set with some small modifications and additions. In due course I will supply a complete list of the sources of the parts I used, but 90% or more is really built from scratch. The pom-poms you see are from Tamiya's KGV, I will certainlty replace these with better detailed parts later on.

People keep saying to save my time as a kit will surely arrive in due time. They might be right, and when that happens I will model her again in her spendid camo scheme, but this current model wil be in AP507B medium grey, showing all detail to good effect.

Attachment:
P1030843b.jpg
P1030843b.jpg [ 128.83 KiB | Viewed 3509 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:01 pm 

Looks great, Maarten!! :thumbs_up_1:

Of course, you do realize that the moment you finish it, either Trumpy or Dragon (or maybe even someone else) is going to release it as a kit! (At least, that is the way it seems to work.) :heh:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:18 am 

Hi Dick,

Yes, I do realise that. When that happens, I'l be in the prime position to spot all the errors in the new kit :heh:

Or otherwise, let's hope that the entrepeneur who's planning to produce such a kit reads this forum and contact me in the design phase, when corrections still can be made. :big_grin:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:48 am 

Have built both HMS Nelson and Rodney 1/700 scale in both overall grey and camo schemes and set together at sea many years ago and both are pride of place in my model room.
I have always had a soft spot for this class of battleship and found them an interesting subject to study and build i guess due to there unusal appearance.
If anyone visits Newcastle upon Tyne check out the Discovery museum they have a whole floor dedicated to ship building on the Tyne and pride of place the centre piece is a HUGE build of HMS Nelson believe me it takes your breath away. Regards Alan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:22 am 

I'm thinking it's about time I built my Tamiya 1/700 Rodney and I just want to do a final check on the details before starting the model. The Tamiya kit looks to represent the ship in the early 30's but I want to model her as many have or do, in May 1941. So I'll list the modifications I know of and I ask that if anyone knows anything I've missed, please let me know.

So by 1941 Rodney had a catapult on X turret (with Walrus) and the associated crane on the Port side of the bridge. 3 8 barrel Pom Poms, 2 20mm Oerlikons on B turret and type 279 radar antennas atop the masts. She was painted in 507B grey.

I know of 2 bits of information I still need that my own resources can't answer - first of all, what was the colour of the steel decks and turret tops? Secondly, has anyone got a pic or diagram to show the 20 mm guns on B turret - I assume they would have been in some kind of 'tub' rather than just randomly stuck on the turret roof.

thanks
Mike

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:17 am 

from a polish book EOW 014 - Brytyjskie pancerniki Nelson Rodney - rodney in 1940
ciao peppe

Attachments:
r029.jpg
r029.jpg [ 114.14 KiB | Viewed 3127 times ]
r091a.jpg
r091a.jpg [ 34.3 KiB | Viewed 3127 times ]
r091b.jpg
r091b.jpg [ 35.51 KiB | Viewed 3127 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:01 pm 

Thanks for that Peppe. I should be able to fabricate something similar from plasticard strips.

Anyone else want to add something?

thanks
Mike

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:11 am 

I beleave Mike the steel parts of the upper deck/turret were in the same colour as the hull at this time, a bit bland I know :smallsmile: .
Only later with the camoflage colours did she become more colourfull.
As a side to this, me uncle served on Rodney, 'wonder why I had this as my middle name' :whistle:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:51 pm 

Hi,

As I'm building my 1:350 version to exactly the same point in time, I maybe can help here too.

The metal decks and turret tops were Dark Grey 507A as opposed to the sides which were 507B. However, as the decks are more exposed to the light from above they LOOK lighter, so almost the same hue as the sides. I therefore used Humbrol 27 for these decks, which has less blue in it. 507B is very well matched by Humbrol 145, particularly when one takes the scale effect into account.

Rodney did have a degaussing coil around her hull, just below the deck rim (as opposed to Nelson which had it on deck lower), just look at the photos. At some places around the anchors it is lifted upwards to clear the hawseholes.

Rodney still carried two 50ft steam pinnaces at that time on the outboard cradles.

The 279 radar lantern was not fitted until August/Sept during her refit in Boston, so leave that off.

The quad .50 vickers guns on the side platforms of the bridge were still fitted.

And don't forget: the very particular cavity on the starboard side of the bridge building, with the associated sponson, which was never occupied by any weapon. Nelson never got that sponson nor the cavity.

For the rest I go along with all the other comments given.

Maarten

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:28 am 

Small correction: the radar lantern is Type 273, Type (2)79 is a stacked dipole aerial.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:26 am 

Thanks Guys for the info.

Maarten, I was hoping you might have some answers! I can't find any pics of Rodney thay show a degaussing cable or the sponson/cavity you mention. Do you know of any you can show?

thanks
Mike

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:56 pm 

Hi Mike,

Here a picture showing both: the degaussing cable, and the cavity in the bridge. Unfortunately I can't load a larger version here.
Attachment:
Rodney autumn 1941-c.jpg
Rodney autumn 1941-c.jpg [ 123.42 KiB | Viewed 2888 times ]

This picture can be found in Raven&Roberts Battleships of WW 2, page 270. On page 268 the cavity can be seen even better, on the well-known picture of a line of matelots scrubbing the deck.

Although the external degaussing coil was never mentioned in any book about the Rodney (at least I never found it anywhere, apart from the caption with the picture shown here), it must have been applied in December 1940, and removed in Spring 1942, when the camouflage paintwork was put on. I believe it was replaced with an internal coil then, similar to the King George V.

Quote:
Small correction: the radar lantern is Type 273, Type (2)79 is a stacked dipole aerial.

Oops! thanks for the correction, EJ. :wave_1:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:31 pm 

Thanks Maarten

I think I've found that pic of the sailors scrubbing the deck. There is something tha looks like a round tub, similar to those that housed Pom-poms or Bofors guns. It's on the Starboard side, just forward of the first 4.7' gun, on the same deck level as the conning tower.

thanks
Mike

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:22 am 

Right, Mike, that's the thing.

Funny that is was never used for any weapon though, that it was ony made on the starboard side and that it was only built on Rodney (not on Nelson). And it stayed with her for the rest of her life.

If you're looking for more good pictures of Rodney in her Spring/Summer 1941 guise have a look at the Polish PM book on Rodney, there are several in there, showing also other parts of the degaussing coil. However, the elaborate plans in that book (from which Peppe also copied those images above) are somewhat suspect and incomplete (degaussing coil nowhere shown f.i.) and to be used with caution, always keeping a good look at the pictures.

As I'm currently building the 4.7" HA guns from scratch (thanks, John Lambert!), I'm also getting more ideas about the bulwarks on the quarterdeck. Few photographs of that area...

Btw: the catapult on B-turret is also an interesting contraption, only recently I found more details on that one, in an old article in 'Model Shipwright' magazine.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:29 pm 

Thanks Maarten.

I'm building it in 1/700 using the Tamiya kit and WEM etch. The WEM etch provides the catapult and crane, ariels, doors, hatches, rails etc. I've also got WEM resin replacement 0.5' guns and pom poms. I've decided to leave off the Degaussing cable as I've not got anything suitable to make it from, seems like I'm not the only one that's done that though!

thanks
Mike

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:02 pm 

Well Mike,

I certainly haven't left it off: on 1:350 scal I made it from Evergreen .030 x .020 strips, on 1:700 I would still make it from .020 x .010 strips.

And yes, everybody left it ff so far, as very few if any ever noticed it should be there! You have now seen the proof that it was really there. It's of course up to you what you will do.

Maarten

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:11 pm 

A couple of questions for you guys,

What colors were used for disruptive schemes..........

Nelson 1942.........

Rodney 1942............

Also, the bus shelter opening below bridge, stbd side on Rodney, was this ever plated over, or did she have it for her entire life?

Thanks Guys

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 419 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 21  Next