The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 422 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:45 pm 

amazing work on one of my favorite ships!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:02 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Superb!

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:31 pm 
Is this 1:350 Nelson kit expensive?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:01 am 

Guest wrote:
Is this 1:350 Nelson kit expensive?

It's scratchbuilt, as one can see in the photos in the link at the bottom of the first post.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:34 am 
Timmy C wrote:
It's scratchbuilt

...and it's RODNEY (not Nelson) :)

Regards
ZzB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:16 am 

Thanks for that! I was wondering why I didn't recognize the rear area armament layout! Rodney...wonderfully modeled.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:44 am 

Location: About 50 miles away from the Gulf of Mexico ( traveling W is you do so :)
Some say she looked like a garbage barge, just like her sister Nelson. I say, they had a cool unique design. superb model :thumbs_up_1:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:52 am 

From a modeller's point of view, how good is the book British Warships of World War 2 compared with the mythical British Battleships of World War 2?

I can't really invest 700$ CDN for the Raven and Robert book but I could eventually invest in the other book if it's useful for a modeller.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:58 am 

Very useful as included inside are many photographs of 'as fitted' plans from the NMM.
The NMM in way roped John into to compiling a book that publicises their plans holdings.
It is also very useful at explaining the benefits and limitations of these plans and they they were drawn and their role in the design and construction process.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:01 pm 

One way to circumvent the high prices of the British Battleships book in the used market, is to obtain the German-language edition. It is an excellent bargain by comparison (less than $45 USD postage-paid, brand new).

I hope that its companion volume British Cruisers will be similarly translated and marketed, in the near future!

:eyebrows:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:43 am 

Ohh boy!!! Thanks for the info Dan!!! :big_grin: I think I will get me this book very soon! I won't be able to actually read it but I think pictures and plans speak for themselves.

Cheers :wave_1:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:33 am 
It is a scratch build, but somewhat unusual - the author used 1:300 card model, scaled down to 1:350, as a basic template and made all parts from thin sheet metal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:24 am 

Superb craftmanship! I saw the post Foeth talked about but at first I did not see all the pictures! Truly inspiring work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:31 am 

Really amazing

:thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:15 am 

Attached, I hope is a photo I picked up years ago second-hand which was labelled on the back "HMS Rodney 1940" - but whether it is or not I don't know. I am pretty positive it is a print of an IWM photo, but can't confirm that. It has periodically got lost in my "filing", but turned up yesterday.

I am posting it as it MAY show the mysterious darkening of RN warship decks by soaking it in some sort of gunk. HOWEVER, I may be very mistaken - all opinions are welcome.

What I SEE is a work party relatively carefully using rags to cover the decks in SOMETHING. It is obviously dark (see sailors hands and forearms) and relatively watery (see sailor wringing out cloth over bucket.

IF it isn't putting something dark on, then it MIGHT be using some sort of solvent to take something off or to clean the decks.

Over to the clever people.

Attachments:
Rodney deck party040.jpg
Rodney deck party040.jpg [ 497.57 KiB | Viewed 4428 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:14 am 

Now this was also obtained at the same time and labelled "HMS Rodney, 1940" and if I remember correctly was in the "Man O' War" booklet.

It is obviously at quite a separate time, with all the clutter on the deck, but MAY OR MAY NOT be related.

Have fun

Attachments:
Rodney deck party 2041.jpg
Rodney deck party 2041.jpg [ 737.58 KiB | Viewed 4399 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:05 pm 

phil gollin wrote:
Attached, I hope is a photo I picked up years ago second-hand which was labelled on the back "HMS Rodney 1940" - but whether it is or not I don't know. I am pretty positive it is a print of an IWM photo, but can't confirm that. It has periodically got lost in my "filing", but turned up yesterday.

I am posting it as it MAY show the mysterious darkening of RN warship decks by soaking it in some sort of gunk. HOWEVER, I may be very mistaken - all opinions are welcome.

What I SEE is a work party relatively carefully using rags to cover the decks in SOMETHING. It is obviously dark (see sailors hands and forearms) and relatively watery (see sailor wringing out cloth over bucket.

IF it isn't putting something dark on, then it MIGHT be using some sort of solvent to take something off or to clean the decks.

Over to the clever people.

The methodical way it is being applied suggests its more than mere cleaning, unless RN ratings cleaned eask teak plank in a uniform manner, in wartime, which seems unrealistic.
This does seem to fit the anecodotal evidence which was posted last year from a members PoW survivor relative or friend that a dark water-down solvent/tar based product was applied to fresh teak decking in order to tone-down the bright teak colour and to also waterproof it.
P.S. I can never be labeled a clever person! :heh:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:16 pm 
Hi Enki,
I've got a copy of the Airfix annual number 5 from 1976(!) that has an article on converting the Airfix Nelson to Rodney, complete with camouflage scheme details and some basic instructions on detail changes etc. If you want, I can try to scan it and post it to you? just drop me a line if you're interested
best regards

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:33 pm 
Can you post the article about the convrsion from Nelson to Rodney here for all of us to read? I have a Nelson and might be interedted in converting it. Many Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:14 am 
The Airfix Magazine article is available online at http://www.davecov.com/index.htm?http%3A//www.davecov.com/reference/airfixmagazinearticles/warships/annualsguides/annual5_hmsrodney.htm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 422 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22  Next