The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 422 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 22  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:35 pm 

Does anyone have any opinions on the Commanders 1/350 scale Nelson/ Rodney? Is it worth it or should we just hope Trumpeter makes one in the future?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:34 am 

Mike_in_Vancouver wrote:
Does anyone have any opinions on the Commanders 1/350 scale Nelson/ Rodney? Is it worth it or should we just hope Trumpeter makes one in the future?

You can see Jim Baumann's build of the kit by clicking here.

I don't have the kit, but speaking to someone who does, they said it's typical Commanders quality: Lots of holes and voids on the bottom of the hull, plus many brittle and mis-formed small parts, but the basics are there to build a decent model.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:30 am 

Yes Mr Baumann's the master builder he is. Makes me just put mine ships away for another couple of months.

Has anyone noticed the pictures of the deck hands staining the deck is partially staged? Look at the uniforms. I think we have some sailors who wanted to be in a picture. Or were ordered to.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:56 am 

Mike_in_Vancouver wrote:
I think we have some sailors who wanted to be in a picture. Or were ordered to.

The two "posers" are smiling....notice the expressions of the other blokes, many even trying to avoid the camera. I think the picture contains both wannabes and regular jobbers! :lol_4:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:21 pm 

phil gollin wrote:
Now this was also obtained at the same time and labelled "HMS Rodney, 1940" and if I remember correctly was in the "Man O' War" http://booklet.http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/download/file.php?id=647&mode=view

Have fun

Where did the photographer stand when taking this picture? He was outboard of the ship's side and somewhat above man height. Was he standing precariously on the barrel of a 16" gun trained to starboard?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:28 am 

Hello there,
A quick question: was there railing on the mast star of Rodney? (sorry if it is not the correct term). I've noticed some builders put a railing on, but can't quite tell for sure from photos.

To RNfanDan. Great tip re: British Battleships book in German. I ordered it a few weeks ago. Delivery was very fast and the book is quite inexpensive all things considered.

John

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:50 am 

I've just bought the Tamiya 1/700 HMS Nelson and have noted some odd things about the anti-aircraft gun fit (I think the kit is supposed to represent the ship in 1943).
Firstly, it has 20mm Oerlikons in gun tubs on the main turret roofs, but nowhere else (the 20mms are also moulded onto the turret 1950s Revell-style, but that's another story!)
Secondly, the medium AA appears to consist of a mix of octuple pom-poms and quad 40mm Bofors (which I didn't think the RN ever used in WW2).
Are either of these correct?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:24 am 
The kit was meant to represent NELSON after her 44-45 refit in Philadelphia - but omits 59 of the 65 single 20mm Oerlikons! In that refit, she had four quadruple 40mm Bofors mountings added, boat stowage rearranged and the armoured director tower hood between the third ('X') 16" turret and the bridge removed, and a complete change of camouflage. To backdate her to her Admiralty Standard camouflage period requires removal of the Bofors and their platforms, and addition of the director tower hood, plus a different arrangement of 20mm (only 41 at that stage!). To be fair to a 30+ year old kit, I suspect Tamiya didn't mould the remaining Oerlikons onto the decks in order to be able to use the parts for the pre-war RODNEY kit!

Several RN carriers, battleships and cruisers carried quadruple 40mm Bofors by the end of the Second World War (some Illustrious class, 4 x KGVs, a number of Town and Colony class, plus AJAX, LEANDER, ARETHUSA and PHOEBE).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:31 pm 

Hi Everyone!

does anyone of the Gentleman knows which Part of AR´s Warship Perspectives contains HMS Nelson´s Pattern during 1942/43. There are two possible Volumes.
Vol 2 (1942)
Vol 3 (1943/44)

a Friend of mine is looking for her Appearance like shown at the Pic below. If anyone owns a Exemplar, may you can take in a short Look and tell me which Volume he needs?

Thanks in Advance Gentleman! :thumbs_up_1:

Last edited by MöLDERS on Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:41 pm 

I can see why, that's a pretty smexy looking camo scheme... I'd be tempted to install that colour pattern when I do my G3 Battlecruiser eventually. It should look pretty interesting, I should imagine.

It's not Overkill, it's Insurance.

If you think my plastic is crazy, check out my Line Art!
http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e58/S ... %20Images/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:55 am 

Unfortunately, Nelson is not covered in the Warship Perspective series. You'll need to find the old Ensign or Man o' War pub on Nelson/Rodney.

Shady Grove Farm on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ShadyGroveDuckEggs

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:10 am 

Hi John,

thanks for Reply! Thats sad. I would had gave 10Bucks, betting she is in there....
Hm...

Post subject: Nelson
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:54 pm 

Hi,
Can anyone ID the BB beside HMS Edinburgh in this photo.
Cheers
Spruso

Attachments:
HMS Edinburgh 1939 2.jpg
HMS Edinburgh 1939 2.jpg [ 115.34 KiB | Viewed 7603 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:16 am 

rodney i think
peppe

Attachments:
File comment: rodney 1940, polish book eow 14
092.jpg
092.jpg [ 215.51 KiB | Viewed 7615 times ]
File comment: nelson 1940 polish book eow 14
0101.jpg
0101.jpg [ 195.75 KiB | Viewed 7569 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:34 am 

Hello Spruso

I got a picture of the HMS Rodney with the exact replica of the structure supporting the experimental radar set ( Type 79 )
The text with the picture said the date is 1939 and at this time the HMS Nelson was not similar
My picture is from the book ( WARSHIP a quarterly journal of warship history ) which is a very serious series

Best Regard

Marc P.

Montreal, Quebec
Canada

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:44 pm 

Thanks gents,

I always find these two diifucult to ID. I have a 1936 Janes F.S. but unfortunately that didn't help me. Hooray for forums!
Cheers
Spruso

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:58 am 

Hi everyone I' hoping someone out there can help me. I'm trying to make a 1/700 scale Rodney as she would of appeared during the sinking of the Bismarck. Does anyone know is she carried the airplanes back then on, I think, C turrett?

Also, I've got the PE arts from WEM. And I'm hoping someone can answer me a question? I might be really stupid asking this question but it has been troubling me for a long time! Which of the railing goes round the ships circumference and which around the superstructures for the German and British Battleships? In some cases I've got as many as 3 different sorts of railings!

Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

Chris

:wave_1:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:47 am 

Can't help directly, but you may find something of use here -

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=6855

:thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:34 am 

Hi I'm working on a 600 scale build of Nelson.

Does anyone know whether this classes two torpedo tubes were fitted one either side of the bow or both on one side and are there any pictures about showing what they looked like? I want to show the fitment on my model, possibly scribed into the hull.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:29 pm 

no foto but some draw: the two tubes are one on each side under the lower deck forward
ciao peppe

Attachments:
r088.jpg
r088.jpg [ 162.4 KiB | Viewed 7526 times ]
r090.jpg
r090.jpg [ 139.31 KiB | Viewed 7503 times ]
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 422 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 22  Next