The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 506 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 26  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 6:02 am 

Captain Crunch wrote:
Hey guys. I've seen some nice BIG North Carolina models on youtube, most of which are RC models. They look like 1/200 or larger. I cannot find anyone who makes a large scale NC anywhere so I'm wondering where are these guys getting these? I think model monkey even lists some 1/200 scale NC parts in his shapeways store for an NC made by GPM. Who is that? After I finish the Yankee modelworks 1/350, I would really like a BIG girl, maybe even to put in the water as an RC. Anyone know where I can find one? Thanks gents!

-Woody

Southern Cross Models here in Australia does a 1/72 North Carolina hull

http://southerncrossmodels.com.au/ncarolina.php

That's Tim's NC underneath his HMAS Hobart

Cheers Bruce

Attachments:
North Carolina 1.jpg
North Carolina 1.jpg [ 190.07 KiB | Viewed 4898 times ]

1/72 RC USS SAIPAN LHA2
1/72 RC USS JOHN PAUL JONES DDG53
1/72 RC USS SHARK SSN591
1/72 RC USS SEAWOLF SSN21
1/72 RC USS ALBANY CG10
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 12:25 pm 

Jim, last time I was aboard her she was in very good shape. A little rust here and there, but not bad. If you have the time and opportunity, if you check out their web site you can sign up (and pay) for a guided four hour tour of her unrestored and non-public areas both below decks and up in the superstructure. I think it's about $50.00 and sounds like it would be money well spent. I've read some comments by those who have taken that tour and she is apparently in surprisingly good shape, even in the non-restored areas.

Bob M.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 7:18 am 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Captain Crunch wrote:
...I cannot find anyone who makes a large scale NC anywhere so I'm wondering where are these guys getting these? I think model monkey even lists some 1/200 scale NC parts in his shapeways store for an NC made by GPM. Who is that? After I finish the Yankee modelworks 1/350, I would really like a BIG girl, maybe even to put in the water as an RC. Anyone know where I can find one? Thanks gents!

-Woody

Hi Woody! Indeed I do offer products for large scale models. GPM is an established paper model company from Eastern Europe. 1/200 is one of their most popular scales. Modelers who prefer materials other than paper can use GPM models as templates.

HvyCgn9 wrote:
....Southern Cross Models here in Australia does a 1/72 North Carolina hull

http://southerncrossmodels.com.au/ncarolina.php

That's Tim's NC underneath his HMAS Hobart

Cheers Bruce

Fittings and 5"/38 twin mounts, perfect for North Carolina class models, from 1/700 and larger, including 1/200 and even 1/72(!) are available.
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/Model_Monkey

Attachments:
Model Monkey Mk.28 5in-38 Twin Mount.a.jpg
Model Monkey Mk.28 5in-38 Twin Mount.a.jpg [ 99.23 KiB | Viewed 4827 times ]
Model Monkey Mk.28 5in-38 Twin Mount.b.jpg
Model Monkey Mk.28 5in-38 Twin Mount.b.jpg [ 105.21 KiB | Viewed 4827 times ]
Model Monkey Mk.28 5in-38 Twin Mount.c.jpg
Model Monkey Mk.28 5in-38 Twin Mount.c.jpg [ 110.75 KiB | Viewed 4827 times ]

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 12:32 pm 

Howcummzit Washington gets much less play, she had as good a war record as any US Battleship. At least one of the class is preserved, the one that set the general pattern for all that followed.

Cheers: Tom

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 3:31 pm 

Fliger747 wrote:
Howcummzit Washington gets much less play, she had as good a war record as any US Battleship. At least one of the class is preserved, the one that set the general pattern for all that followed.

Cheers: Tom

North Carolina seems to be more "famous". Maybe the whole "Showboat" name, plus, as you said, she is preserved.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 4:13 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

NC is just a very cool ship and being able to touch it is quite amazing. My family and I live about 3 hours to BB-55. We like to visit each summer. Here we are back in 2007 for our first visit as a family. My wife is holding the camera and our kids are all much bigger now, and eat like it, too.

Attachments:
BB-55 2007 Larsen Family Trip IM003504.small.jpg
BB-55 2007 Larsen Family Trip IM003504.small.jpg [ 191.37 KiB | Viewed 4710 times ]

-Steve L.

Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 7:08 am 

ModelMonkey, it's good to see that your young ones are also interested. So many kids today could give a whit less about history of any sort. Takes them away from their X-Box, you see. Congratulations on bringing them up in the way they should go.

Bob M.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 11:24 am 

Bruce- Thanks for the info. When I decide to tackle a big NC it will be nice to have the sources on hand!

Steve- Thanks for the cool 3d printed 5" turrets. I realized I bought the wrong veteran models ones (MK32 instead of the MK28) oops. Yours will be perfect, and thanks for the info on the "eraser". I will pick one up! :)

My thoughts on NC's popularity vs Washington. Well she was the first post WWI Battleship, first in the class, first fast Battleship to enter Pearl Harbor after the attack, which as I'm told by my father-in-law who served aboard her, made a very deep and important impression on everyone there. And that is just a short list of important firsts. Don't get me wrong, I love BB56 too, and she and her crew served valiantly. Her combat service was exempliary, but there is something about being the first, especially with all the early press NC received. Of course, as already mentioned, we can go to see and touch her today. That is huge. I have yet to make the pilgrimage, but I will get there someday soon!

Carry on mates!

-Woody

Current project: Trumpeter 1/350 USS North Carolina

Future projects:
Yankee ModelWorks/Classic Warships 1/350 North Carolina
Trumpeter 1/200 Missouri

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 2:43 pm 

As a kid growing up in Wilmington,The "Port City" as she is known..we lived 15 miles from the Park. I can remember back in elementary school collecting monies for her purchase/restoration. Only cost a DIME for us school kids.
Back during that time period on sat. mornings Mom would normally drop us off over at the movie theater on 3rd. for 3-4 hours of "Jungle Jim" "Buck Rodgers", "Spanky and BuckWheat" and of course "The Three Stooges" While she went Grocery shopping and store visits to WoolWorth and Belks downtown on the river front in Wilmington.
Admission to the "movies" required 6 Pepsi cola Bottle caps and a DIME ..she gave both of us a
quarter each for drinks and candy... That one particular summer my brother and I decided we would save the Dimes for the "ShowBoat" instead. Besides we had already seen all those old black and whites a couple time already by then. It was easier on me because I had a little job enterprise selling "Grit", that was a little gossip.news publication that you earned 3.5 cents for each copy you sold. Took some of the money that summer and bought my first model..it was an Aurora kit featuring 3 airplanes...they were probably 1/72 I would guess....I t was 3 WW2 prop planes...two US and either 1 German or one Japanese and I always gave my brother the enemy Aircraft. Whole thing cost like .79 cents! Then a Dime for the tube of glue...and no they didn't need to see my ID back then. HA!!
By the 7th grade we were allowed to go see her about 1 time a month.....only cost about 2.50$ for youths back then and you didn't need a Parent to supervise you unless you showed you A*S.

Man oh man growing up back in the 60's in the south was awesome...and twice so growing up in a Beach town called Wilmington North Carolina.

I moved away from there a couple years back but am still only 3 hours away. I try to go back atleast each year for a visit and to see her.
If any of you get the chance to visit..please do go. She is a Hallowed Memorial and you may even choke up a bit with pride as you walk her decks at the very least you will have a large time.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 4:44 pm 

Ah, to remember the days when you could buy a kit for money from your allowance and have cash left over. Run home, build it, maybe slap a little paint on it, decals and there you go. Then, when childhood boredom rears it ugly head, you banished it by packing your creation with firecrackers (or better cherry bombs or M-80s) and watching shards of shattered styrene go flying around your basement or across your back yard. Then repeat cycle. Come on, guys, don't tell me you never did this as a kid. Now can you imagine someone eyeing anything on your display shelves with a pack of Black Cats (a brand of firecracker, or the uninitiated) in their hand. Oh, the simple pleasures of youth, and we actually did it, not just pretended we did it on a video game.

Bob M.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 7:42 pm 

Bob...I see you remember those days as well. By God life was good then...uncomplicated with the affairs of adulthood !...LOL A Pepsi and a Pack of "Nabs" was a great afternoon for us youngins. Back then we did blow up quiet a few models with "Black Kat's"..:)
As a young kid, we/I naturally assumed every town had their own Battleship that fought the bad guys back then... I remember my school raised an unheard of amount of 400$ some odd dollars over the course of two years to help the STATE purchase her from the Navy..schools and communities all across N.C. raised the needed funds to bring her home to the "OLD NORTH STATE"... BB-55 is total STATE owned and operated by the visitors generous support. I have visited a few of the other Ship museums and found them to be very nice ..That is until I go back home and climb aboard the "SHOWBOAT"!! She is VERY WELL preserved and maintained, and the only one wearing HER WAR PAINT.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 1:07 am 

Oh the memories.... Let's see. I remember dispatching models by shooting them with a bb gun, throwing them off various high places, blowing them up with firecrackers, dowsing them with gasoline, floating them through a water puddle in the driveway...that was on fire...due to gasoline, all so I could make room on my shelf for MORE MODELS!! :) Fun times!

Current project: Trumpeter 1/350 USS North Carolina

Future projects:
Yankee ModelWorks/Classic Warships 1/350 North Carolina
Trumpeter 1/200 Missouri

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 5:35 am 

:)

Now I will return this High Jacked thread back to it's proper place!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:37 pm 

I just HAVE to throw in my thread hijacking .02 cents worth. :P I grew up a couple hours north of Wilmington and every so often I would get the chance to go down during the summer to visit "MY" beloved battlewagon. The source of pride she instilled has been so great I doubt it will ever leave me for sure. I grew up in the 70's and 80's and even then a better time could NOT be had with an old plastic model and pocket full of "Black Cats".

Well, here we are, decades later and life has carried me half way around the world; a place where the 'ol SHOWBOAT actually helped liberate... the Philippines! However, before I left I got a piece of her to carry with me just so I can remain close in spirit if not in reality. This is part of the original teak deck that was removed during her deck renovation in 1999.

Attachments:
cache_4200256873.jpg
cache_4200256873.jpg [ 44.35 KiB | Viewed 4428 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:28 pm 

Doing some research for the Essex book this weekend and I came across details that I feel are worth noting.

North Carolina was at Pearl Harbor Navy Yard for repair and overhaul from May 9 to June 28, 1945. During this time two new radars were installed. One was a SCR-720 (the same radar mounted on the P-61 Black Widow) and the other was a SC-5, which was an improved SC-2 (following the improved SC-3 and SC-4) ordered as a stop gap until the new SR radar was ready for the fleet. The SCR-720 was mounted on the front of the forward stack and looks similar to the radar domes we know today. The SC-5 was on the mainmast (aft) and was *tilted back* 35 degrees from horizontal.

Both were a measure to improve air search overhead due to the onslaught of kamikaze attacks. North Carolina reported that performance was excellent for the SC-5 and "disappointing" for the SCR-720, due to interference from superstructure, lack of IFF, and an extremely wide target indication bearing (I suspect due to it's genesis as an airborne radar).

You can see the SCR-720 radar "dome" on top of the forward stack along with the tilted SC-5 radar here on her Navsource page as well as evidence that the SC-5 was still mounted in June of 1946 while the SCR-720 was not.

So, in summary, anyone wanting to build a WWII BB-55 North Carolina from June until the end of the war might take these two radars and their appearance into consideration.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:17 am 

Thanks Bruce for your comments and promotion.

The question why BB55 is perhaps more popular as a model than BB56 is interesting. As an Aussie, I think I’m quite unbiased in regards to the nationality of ships and individual ships in a particular class. We Aussies have a great naval history, but nowhere near as big or well known as the U.S. Navy or that of Great Britain. The Australian Navy never had battleships or carriers in WW2.

So for me why I chose to build a 72 scale North Carolina, was for about 6 reasons.

Firstly, She was the first U.S. built battleship after the treaties. Secondly, she was the first battleship that entered Pearl Harbour after the attack by the Japanese, which left a huge impression on all who saw her come in. Thirdly, I had a great uncle who served on HMAS Hobart, and Hobart was with the North Carolina and the invasion fleet on the voyage to Guadalcanal. Hobart was also protecting the transports with USS San Juan at the time the Japanese were smashing up our heavy cruisers around Savo Island. My Great Uncle was very moved by the sheer size and power of the North Carolina, but he was more moved by the beauty of the ship. He was impressed by the ships lines and the fact that she just bristled with guns. Fourth, North Carolina won more battle honours than any other U.S. battleship during WW2. Fifth, Washington never carried a splinter type camo paint scheme like the North Carolina did. Washington’s early war camo looks great, but it is in my opinion a more difficult camo scheme to paint, at least North Carolina’s scheme has straight lines. Sixth, I really like the look that Stryker’s Bridge adds to the forward tower.

I like building WW2 ships the most, because I like the cluttered look. The amount of guns and ammo lockers, directors, and all the other gear that clutters a ship from end to end in WW2. When I display the HMAS Hobart next to a Modern one hit ship, most people will look at Hobart much longer because there is so much more to look at. North Carolina will be even more interesting to the average person because even today, people still hold a battleship up as one of the greatest and impressive weapons ever. She’s going to be the flag ship in my model fleet that I’m building.
She’s a very slow project as I don’t get much time on her, but I have been planking her decks………. one plank at a time……………

Tim Amos

"Fear God and dreadnought"
Motto of ADM Jackie Fisher 1905

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:36 am 

Here's some planking photos :eyebrows: from a few months ago.

Sorry for the poor quality.

Attachments:
NC planking 1.jpg
NC planking 1.jpg [ 90.67 KiB | Viewed 4183 times ]
NC planking 2.jpg
NC planking 2.jpg [ 73.09 KiB | Viewed 4183 times ]
NC planking 3.jpg
NC planking 3.jpg [ 35.21 KiB | Viewed 4183 times ]
NC planking 4.jpg
NC planking 4.jpg [ 140.7 KiB | Viewed 4183 times ]
NC planking 5.jpg
NC planking 5.jpg [ 168 KiB | Viewed 4183 times ]
NC planking 6.jpg
NC planking 6.jpg [ 114.63 KiB | Viewed 4183 times ]

Tim Amos

"Fear God and dreadnought"
Motto of ADM Jackie Fisher 1905
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:55 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Brilliant! Truly inspirational work.

-Steve L.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:51 pm 

hi guys!
needing some assistance here...
bought last weekend a water damaged set (no packaging and the assembly guide) of the North Carolina in 1/700...
i cannot find the assembly guide in http://www.1999.co.jp/ and http://www.trumpeter-china.com/
hoping anybody here can share theirs. :) :wave_1:

thanks a bunch!!!! :thumbs_up_1:

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:21 pm 

OOOPPPSSS!!!!

i missed this! :smallsmile: :heh:

THANKS!!!! :wave_1: :big_grin: :thumbs_up_1:

Tracy White wrote:
Funny timing on your part; I actually started a thread on this yesterday but got busy and had to cancel it before I could finish!

*Incomplete List*

Kit Reviews
* Trumpeter 1/700th BB-55 North Carolina
* Trumpeter 1/350th BB-55 North Carolina
* Classic Warships/Yankee Modelworks 1/350th BB-55 North Carolina

After Market Reviews
* Gold Medal Models 1/350 North Carolina Class Photo-Etch
* Lion Roar 1/350 Super Detail Update Conversion Set
* White Ensign 1/350 USS North Carolina BB-55 Fitting Set
* Yankee Modelworks 1/350 USS North Carolina class Set

Ship Gallery
* USS North Carolina BB-55 by Frank O'Neill
* USS North Carolina BB-55 by David Griffith

Walk-Arounds
* May 2006 by Avery Boyer

Ron Smith is the undisputed expert on North Carolina. I've been helping him research her the last couple months and the amount of information he has is staggering. A lot of it was collected for a publisher who is going to release a book on the two ships, but he has an article of his own coming out in the Nautical Research Guild's May Issue of the Nautical Research Journal. If you have a thing for the ship this is a "must have" issue as it kills myths dead! There is a lot that have been written about these two ships that is wrong, confused, or simply sloppily researched. Ron's put the time in to be able to stand by his work.

I've researched Washington but nowhere near as much as I have the Essex class. I've got pictures Ron's sent me on her (can't redistribute or post them though) so if anyone has questions on Washington feel free to fire away. My thought is to do a book on these two ships after the Essex book, but until I finish the first I won't spend too much time on the second.

Updated list of kit reviews - Cadman

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 506 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 26  Next