The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 336 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 17  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:07 pm 

I can see Trumpy producing a model including the cocoon... Should be an interesting project attempting to restore much!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:05 pm 

I'm wondering if anyone knows, when Pennsylvania was at Pearl Harbor on 7 December and prior to, were the decks painted the dark Deck Grey, or were they the brown Linoleum?

On the bench:

1/200 USS Enterprise, CV-6

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:12 pm 

Mark, the directive for all steel decks on MS-1 camoflaged ships was to paint them 5-D (dark gray). However, I know of at least one example of a MS-1 ship on Dec 7th that did not have 5-D steel decks. That ship was USS Portland. There is no hard evidence yet to support what the steel deck colors were on any of the ships. So, I'd say until someone can prove you wrong, go with whatever color looks right to you.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:49 pm 

Thanks David P and Jeff Sharp:

Now it's decision making time! Hmmmmmmmmmm :cool_1: I'll figure something out and go with it. Thanks for the quick response.

On the bench:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:23 am 
Has there been any word on a repop of the Pennsylvania by Dragon?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:40 pm 
Hello all I'm in the process of converting the Hobby Boss 1/350 USS Arizona into the Pennsylvania as she appeared on March 2nd 1942. I've been studying all the pictures I can get my hands in and have a pretty good understanding of how to go about the convention but the one thing I haven't found an answer to is her portlights. From the pictures of her taken at San Fransisco you can clearly see that the portlights on her bow are covered over as well as five portlights under her superstructure, but by the time she left harbor were all of them covered over or just the certain ones that you see in the photos?

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 3:14 pm 

1:200 Main Deck Vents Adjacent to Turret 3:

I have worked up a 2D CAD plan for the vents adjacent to Turret 3 on PENNSYLVANIA. These are for those modelers converting the 1:200 Trumpeter ARIZONA kit to the PENNSYLVANIA. The references I have used are the Alan Chesley 1986 Plan for PENNSY after her 1935 refit and the Hi-Res photos of PENNSY in 1942 from Mare Island. Here is a .jpeg of the drawing I created:
Attachment:
BB-38 Main Deck Vents.JPG
BB-38 Main Deck Vents.JPG [ 149.2 KiB | Viewed 5196 times ]

For those building a 1:200 PENNSY post Pearl Harbor, I have included in red the additional vent flanges as they appear in the Mare Island photos. The .jpeg is not quite at scale. For a .pdf of this drawing, send me a PM on this forum with your email address requesting a copy. The pdf you can print to scale and use for making these vents.

NOTE: Accuracy to the historical ship is based on the mentioned references only. Since no actual plans for these parts are now available, I've drawn up what I can best describe as "best guess effort". Scratchbuilding experience would be helpful, also a bit of self-thinking on the part of the modeler might come in handy. Anyone requesting the .pdf file understands that results are based on YOUR abilities, not my drawing!!! :thinking:

Hank

Next up - I should have the 1:200 PENNSYLVANIA Main Mast & Platform 2D CAD drawings (3) available very soon.

edited - 05/21/16

Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48

Last edited by BB62vet on Sat May 21, 2016 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 4:25 pm 

Hi Hank:

This drawing clears up a lot of the questions regarding the vents on the Pennsylvania vice Arizona. Thanks for your diligence and effort in producing this document. It will certainly come in handy when I get to that section of the model.

On the bench:

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 6:30 am 

Mark,

I certainly appreciate the kind remarks! By the time you've put everything in place out in the Wild West :lol_pound: I may have an edit or two to that sheet - I noticed a couple dimensions that I probably need to add, but nothing really that important. I may even post a larger picture of that alarm horn, which is sort of unique in itself.

Hank

Builder's yard:
Finished:

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:45 am 

Pennyslvania, June 1942 before her reconstruction. Photo from the National Archives, 80G13137.

Attachments:
USSPennsyvlania0642_80G13137.jpg
USSPennsyvlania0642_80G13137.jpg [ 1.86 MiB | Viewed 4916 times ]

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 12:03 pm 

For those converting the 1:200 Trumpeter ARIZONA to PENNSYLVANIA:

I have drawn up plans for building the Main Mast and Platforms for PENNSYLVANIA in her PRE-WAR (post 1935 refit) configuration. Before we go any further I wish to point out a couple important items and details:

1) My only references for these drawings are the available photos from various sources (incl. Hi-Res photos from Mare Island, 1942) and Alan B. Chesley's 1986 rendering of PENNSY as of her 1935 refit.

2) Modelers use these drawings at their own discretion - I take absolutely no responsibility for their accuracy or your results based on your modeling abilities and skills. :thinking:

3) These drawings are based singularly on my interpretation of the above mentioned references and are thus subject to "best guesstimate" reasoning - i.e., one has to be able to accept that with limited information, accuracy cannot be verified 100%.

OK, having stated the above, I would also like to note a couple observations regarding differences between ARIZONA and PENNSYLVANIA:

1) According to the Chesley plans, PENNSY had slightly higher masts than did ARIZONA - Therefore, the kit mast legs will not work; the modeler will need to purchase either styrene rod or tube (or brass...whatever :doh_1: ) to use for replacement legs. The kit leg diameters (being metric, not in inches) work out to 3/16" dia. and I used 5/32" diameter on my prototype. These drawings indicate both sizes although the drawing is done for 3/16" legs. I think the 5/32" dia. styrene rod works out better when all the parts are assembled.

2) The main deck of PENNSY did not have the same clutter of antenna trunks and extended deck house from the fwd. main deck past the break to the lower main deck just fwd of Turret #3. This area was clear and I have removed all molded superstructure up to the break on my build.

3) The fwd. two legs of PENNSY's Main Mast are located on the main deck just after the break in the deck, inboard of the boat crane kingsposts on either side. This in another reason the kit legs don't work. NOTE: These legs need to be sized after the central leg is located and the lower two platforms are in place.

4) PENNSYs Platforms are shaped differently than ARIZONA's, thus the kit platforms won't work. However, they will provide an idea of the proper location of the openings from platform to platform for the ladders. PE from the kit and Eduard need to be somewhat modified to use. I have included the platform structural support steel locations (as I interpret the reference material) for layout of these items. The drawings list the Eduard PE sheets that could be purchased for the various fittings needed on the masts.

DRAWINGS:

I actually created 4 CAD drawings, but have only included the 2 necessary drawings for modelers to create their mast legs and platforms. The other two drawings are simply used for layout and design. NOTE: for those building 1:700 scale models, I have included the scaled platforms for 1:700 on Sheet #3.
Attachment:
BB-38 Main Mast Platforms Sh. 3. resized.jpg
BB-38 Main Mast Platforms Sh. 3. resized.jpg [ 170.44 KiB | Viewed 4067 times ]

Attachment:
BB-38 Main Mast Platforms Sh. 4 resized.jpg
BB-38 Main Mast Platforms Sh. 4 resized.jpg [ 182.05 KiB | Viewed 4067 times ]

Once again, these .jpg files are NOT to scale. Anyone desiring a .pdf that is printable to scale just PM me and I'll email you a copy.

One further comment - these drawings represent the Main Mast in PENNSY's Pre-Pearl Harbor Configuration, without the 50 cal. MG mount on top of the Fire Control Top. They also do not include the 50 cal. MG tubs added to the searchlight platform as shown in the Mare Island 1942 photos. As always, comments are more than welcome, good or bad!

Hope these help and Happy Modeling!

Builder's yard:
Finished:

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 6:47 pm 

Excellent work and a fine addition to our resources.

thanx hank!

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:59 pm 

Thanks, Mark - I can't say they're perfect, but right now (subject to revisions!!) as close as I can make them.

Hank

Builder's yard:
Finished:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:27 pm 

Here are Revisions to the two sheets I posted last week:
Attachment:
BB-38 Main Mast Platforms Sh. 3.jpg
BB-38 Main Mast Platforms Sh. 3.jpg [ 198.39 KiB | Viewed 3937 times ]

Attachment:
BB-38 Main Mast Platforms Sh. 4.jpg
BB-38 Main Mast Platforms Sh. 4.jpg [ 186.82 KiB | Viewed 3937 times ]

I did not capture the correct shape of the Searchlight Platform in the original attachments. These have been corrected by my best "guesstimate" on their shape.

Once again - I take no responsibility for the accuracy of these drawings based on the limited resources available. Modeler relies on his abilities, not my draftsmanship :thumbs_up_1: !

If you wish a scaled .pdf of these drawings please PM me and I'll be happy to provide you a copy.

Hope this assist those who are interested.

I hope to have some pix of my prototype Main Mast/Platforms late next week.

Hank

edited - 06/03/16

Builder's yard:
Finished:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:46 am 

Hank has graciously provided me with a pdf drawing in 1/350 for a conversion I'm working using the old Banner/Trumpeter kit as a base.
Using his plans I made templates and built a mock-up.

Now Pennsy had more of a rectangular slab sided spud locker than Arizona. I cut out the locker and rebuild the area with a slab sided box structure. ...hatches and vents can be added to the correct positions during the actual build.
The "V" shaped cut out (where the legs penetrate the deck on this kit) needs to be removed and cut square across from the locker to the crane kingpost support area to allow the legs to position on the main deck just inside the crane kingposts as they should for Pennsy.

When the above is done,The mock up fits very nicely. leg spread is accurate and the angle "looks" correct.
The platforms are faithfully represented and they line up very nicely with out any twist on the mast legs. Their height may need adjusting depending on how much re-work the builder does on the locker area, and also if you are using Model Monkeys cranes or not.
I am using both His cranes and his '41 superstructure replacement parts for my project.

Laying a level from the main mast legs (top of) to the fore mast legs showed to be well inside the marks. Comparing photos of the actual ship to the model I would have to say this looks spot on.
Also the included details for handrail stanchion placement and structure support beams look great and will no doubt come in handy when it's time to actually build this up.

Hank,...I believe this is a home run. Thank you my good Sir!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:00 pm 

Thanks, Mark; I appreciate the comments re. the Main Mast Platform drawings.

OK, so here is my version (1940ish) with rigging attached, but further rigging will be added when it is actually installed on the model. The kit parts I incorporated are the Rangefinder, (4) Searchlights, Main Top, and PE from Eduard where you see it. The legs, platforms, mast are all scratchbuilt.
Attachment:
Main Mast_2 - small.JPG
Main Mast_2 - small.JPG [ 128.62 KiB | Viewed 3762 times ]

Attachment:
Main Mast_3 - small.JPG
Main Mast_3 - small.JPG [ 99.5 KiB | Viewed 3762 times ]

Attachment:
Main Mast_4 - small.JPG
Main Mast_4 - small.JPG [ 94.65 KiB | Viewed 3762 times ]

Attachment:
Main Mast_5 - small.JPG
Main Mast_5 - small.JPG [ 105.73 KiB | Viewed 3762 times ]

I am using Lifecolor Acrylics on this model. The mast assembly is now safely packed up and the kit is in storage until I'm finished with NEW JERSEY.

Hank

Builder's yard:
Finished:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:03 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Hank, she is looking sweet!

And some good news for you, Mark and Martin (the three product requesters): the preliminary design for Pennsylvania's funky vents based on your drawings is done. Before I "go final" please take a look at the renderings and tell me what needs changing. I'm not sure I got the vent hood cutouts on the correct corners.

Attachments:
Unititled-316.crop.jpg
Unititled-316.crop.jpg [ 198.9 KiB | Viewed 3725 times ]
1-200 Pennsylvania Vents.a.png
1-200 Pennsylvania Vents.a.png [ 146.58 KiB | Viewed 3725 times ]
1-200 Pennsylvania Vents.b.png
1-200 Pennsylvania Vents.b.png [ 79.24 KiB | Viewed 3725 times ]
1-200 Pennsylvania Vents.c.png
1-200 Pennsylvania Vents.c.png [ 123.29 KiB | Viewed 3725 times ]

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:53 pm 

Steve,

Thanks for the kind remarks. Glad to see the vents taking shape. I'll check them over tonight and let you know.

David P wrote:
Quote:
Steve, the closes vent hood in the photograph appears to square shaped not like what you have in the drawing with the cutoff corner. also that same vent appears not to have a platform under the hood on the right side like in your drawing but just an arm sticking out. remember that the picture was taken slightly above in respect to that vent which means you should see that angled corner & platform which you are not.

Not stealing the thread, but Steve used drawings I provided him for the 3D design of the vents in addition to his posted photo. I used the photo shown above as well as two or three other photos (Hi Res versions) in that series with which to create the 2D drawings. I believe Steve did likewise. In all these photos you have to zoom in to see as much detail as possible about the shape of the vents and the vent caps. Photo 1107-42 when viewed zoomed in reveals that the starboard vent air deflector (my term) - the item below the vent cap is actually a 4 sided flat sheet of metal that is hinged on all 4 sides and can be lowered parallel to the vent shaft; in the photo Steve posted, this fwd. partition is, in fact, dropped against the vent shaft. What you are calling an "arm" is actually the deflector sheet facing us (stbd side) and is notched in it's shape, not diagonal as one might suspect.

Photo 1106-42 (not shown) actually shows the fwd. deflector sheet IS diagonally cut on the inner end at a 45. One other note to make - the center vent is NOT a square vent, but the two side vents are square in shape. This is hard to see from the 3/4 photos that were used for this drawing & design, but I believe this to be true.

Hope this helps,

Builder's yard:
Finished:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:19 pm 

Steve -

I don't know just how deep into these vents you wish to go, but I found a shot (Per Navsource, dated from 1935 - granted, their dates aren't always entirely accurate) which shows a pipe coming up through the flange on the port-side vent:
http://navsource.org/archives/01/038/013860m.jpg
Not sure if it was still there in 1941-42. It can certainly be left to the modeler to add the pipe detail if desired; just throwing it out there. Similarly, I see little braces around that flange which I can't make out in the 1942 shot but may still have been there. Obviously those wouldn't be 3-D printed.
(Wow, you just keep on coming up with new things for me to buy for this long-stalled project. You will make these in 1:350 also, won't you?)

- Sean F.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:52 pm 

Hank -

Where did you find the Chesley Pennsy '35 plans? I'd like to get a look at what's happening under the mainmast; I can't tell anything from the shots on Navsource.

- Sean F.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 336 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 17  Next