The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:31 am 

I will set the ball rolling ,what was the external differnces between the Queen Mary,and the other cats?I`m planning a Lion,and have plans for the QM,Can I use them?
Thanks, Phil

Moderator Edit: This thread is for Lion, Princess Royal, Queen Mary and Tiger. Separate Tiger thread merged here.

Available Kits
1/700
Combrig HMS Tiger
Combrig HMS Princess Royal
Combrig HMS Queen Mary
Combrig HMS Lion

1/350
Combrig HMS Tiger
Ironshipwright HMS Queen Mary

Gallery Entries
1/700:
Ken Hoolihan’s Classic Warship Lion: http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html
Frank O’Neill’s Combrig Tiger: http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html
Chris Smither’s Combrig Tiger: http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html
David Griffith’s Combrig Tiger: http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html
Mike McCabe’s Combrig Tiger (1928): http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html
John Werler’s Combrig Tiger: http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html
Andrew Holland’s Combrig Queen Mary: http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html
Frank O’Neill’s Combrig Queen Mary: http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html
Kostas’ Combrig Queen Mary: http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html
Peter Fulgoney’s Combrig Tiger: http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html
Martin Quinn’s Combrig Tiger: http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html

1/350:
Robert Apfelzweig’s ISW Queen Mary: http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... /index.htm

Various Scales:
1/2400 GHQ Tiger, by Paul Helfrich: http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html
1/192 scratchbuilt Queen Mary, by Marius Chescu: http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:58 am 

From the website World War 1 Naval Combat : Queen Mary. Visually she was hard to distinguish from the Lion class but with the secondary armament on a single deck, the centre funnel was rounder than in the Lion class and she had a stern walkway that was lacking in her near sisters. Originally fitted with a pole mast this was later altered to a tripod mast.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:19 am 

Thanks for that Martin,

Regards Phil

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:23 am 

i found this on a polish magazine
ciao peppe

Attachments:
r56592_Scannen0047_122_797lo.jpg
r56592_Scannen0047_122_797lo.jpg [ 142.46 KiB | Viewed 13366 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:03 pm 

Many thanks ,Peppe,it all helps!!

Bye Phil

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:43 pm 

Since we are trying to keep the CASF threads to manageable lengths, I've move Phil's WIP LIon to it's own thread, here: viewtopic.php?f=59&t=55102&p=344142#p344142

In other news, Combrig has released a 1/700 Princess Royal and Lion. Available at your favorite sponsor...

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:00 am 
Hello everyone.

I hope I'm in the right place to ask a question about HMS Tiger (WW1)?

I already have the Combrig 1/700 kit of her, but are there any other kits of her in any other scale either available or planned?

Ideally, I'd like to get my hands on a 1/350....

Thanks in advance for your thoughts,

Nigel.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:11 am 

Guest wrote:
I already have the Combrig 1/700 kit of her, but are there any other kits of her in any other scale either available or planned?

It's been rumored that Commanders Models/Iron Shipwrights was going to do a resin Tiger in 1/350 scale as a follow up to some earlier WW1 RN battleships and battlecruisers releases.

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:12 am 
Thanks for the reply Martin - I'll be keeping my fingers crossed!

Cheers,

Nigel.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:39 pm 

Hi all.

Just over a year ago I was asking as a "Guest" about the likelihood of a 1/350 Tiger (the last post on this thread, sadly) - and I've just seen an announcement on the Manufacturers and Suppliers Forum that Combrig have come up with the goods:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=105131

Frankly, I'm a cr@p modeller, but I have a pretty impressive stash, and this one will be joining it shortly - surely the best looking battlecruiser ever?

Cheers,

Nigel.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:45 pm 

Nigel H wrote:
surely the best looking battlecruiser ever?

No doubt! :)

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:42 pm 

Should this be part of the Splendid Cat BC fans page? Surely the second most beautiful battlecruiser (SMS Lutzow anyone?) deserves it's own thread. I'm in the midst of collecting information for my next build. The 1/350 Combrig HMS Tiger. I already have received a great deal of advice and photos, but more is always better right?

I'll start off with a few simple questions. Did Tiger have caged aerials? What color was the ship painted when it was commissioned?

Post subject: Re: HMS Tiger Fans (BC)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:10 pm 

Hi,

I can't answer your questions directly as I have no idea what 'caged aerials' are but there is a book, 'Clydebank Battlecruisers' which has 25 or so pages of photos of HMS Tiger being built, as taken by John Brown's own photography department.

The book also features photos of Inflexible, Australia, Repulse and Hood, all built by John Browns.

The photos are incredibly detailed, although sized for the book. They are, I believe, based on the photos held by the National Museum of Scotland.

I hope this helps.

All the best
Sandy

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:47 pm 

Amazing, this forum, there is even a thread on this the most beautiful of all British Battle cruisers (including Hood). My attraction to this ship stems from seeing a photograph in , I think RA Burt's "British Battleships of WW1". The photos of "Tigers" on the ModelWarships.com site are amazing in clarity and detail when the (to me) tiny scale is considered. Congratulations!

I am about to start building this ship in 1/96, I have the drawings from the National Maritime Museum which are the "to be built" version. I intend modelling the original form as commissioned.

I hope to post the occasional progress photo. I have built several ships from model maker plans but over the last 20 or so years have concentrated on large R/C aircraft, including a 1/5 Hawker Hurricane, from No1 squadron dated 1st May 1942, built from Bentley's drawings of the full size plane. Using such material and photos you get an accurate model, without another modeller's assumptions and research limitations.

My question is, the plans indicate Tiger had twin rudders inclined some 10 degrees or so from the vertical. Was she built as such. This would make her pretty unique I believe in British capital ships. I think the QE class had twin rudders too, but parallel to each other?

I look forward to contacts from others who also admire this beautiful, if unsuccessful ship

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:05 pm 

I realise some time has elapsed since your post, but I have just joined.
The attached photos are dated 1928 but show what I believe to be a caged aerial. On my plans there is a "guard WT" in about this location

Attachments:
File comment: Abreast No1 funnel just ahead of the davit
aerial.jpg
aerial.jpg [ 66.34 KiB | Viewed 11504 times ]
File comment: It can be seen outboard from the 50ft launch with the aerial feed attached to the top.
aerial 2.jpg
aerial 2.jpg [ 78.5 KiB | Viewed 11504 times ]
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:07 pm 

Wikipedia has the following definition

A Cage aerial is a radio antenna, which consists of the top portion of a tower or mast and of several parallel wires, which are radially arranged around the lower part of the mast. one advantage of the cage aerial is that the supporting tower can be grounded, allowing it to be used for other radio services, such as a support for VHF or UHF antennas.

I stand corrected, but the arrangements of aerials on the ship make me believe that this is the case, especially as WT was in its infancy during WW1 and radios frequencies were relatively low . The guard would have been necessary as RF voltages at deck level would have been extremely dangerous.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:16 pm 

Your first photo does show cage aerials:

Attachments:
aerial.jpg
aerial.jpg [ 99 KiB | Viewed 11503 times ]

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:56 pm 

Well here we go, I received my copy of "Clydebank Battlecruisers" from Amazon, what a treasure trove of photos. There is so much more information available now compared to 1981, gotta love the 'Net.

I have begun the build; draughting hull frames from the lines plan. It will be a mix of bread and butter construction and plank on frame. Power will be four Decaperms that I have sitting here with gel cell batteries. Speed control all electronic. I will modify a 8-channel r/c system on 2.4GHz to make it more 'sensible ' for a boat. Functions planned : Speed control, rudders, train A&B and director, train Q&Y, elevate all, smoke control, 2 spare. I enjoy doing "animations"

I also propose building two suitable tugs to scale to handle the big hull. I have drawings for ST Flying Eagle as a start point.

My aim, possibly fanciful, is to have her waterproof by December 15th, that is 100 years after the original launch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:35 am 

I don't know British turret designations, but this structure sits just behind turret #3. In later photos, I see it built up about half the height of the stack, but it looks solid. In 1914, the bottom platform looks like it has splinter shields with the top being canvas railings. Can anyone help think of a better way to piece this? I have doubts about the fleixbleness and durability of these photo etch pieces. I'm thinking of replicating them with thin plastic sheet?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:42 am 

HMS Tiger

As promised; herewith a progress photo

The model's hull is complete and finished ready for painting. The hull is planked with "bread-and-butter" ends to get the tighter shapes. Filled to get shape correct and then fibre-glass. more sanding and filling to get the final surface. Detail of plate runs (only the overlapped strakes) are added using filler against masking tape to get the edge. The thin pale line represents the cover over the edge of the armour belt.

Prop shafts are fitted and next job there is to do props and how they fit the shafts. A-brackets are brass bearings on legs made of polymer moulding resin.

Superstructure (such as it was) is built up of ply and will have plasticard cladding to get the smooth effect of steel. It is mostly complete and the tripod mast is mocked up. This is the area where the plans do not match the 'as-built' and there is some guess work based on much peering at photos in the book. I think it is pretty right. The funnel blanks are car exhaust tube, a bit heavy, but strong and they will not distort. An interesting find; I spotted that the three funnels are different diameters, on the model they are 56mm, 52mm and 53mm which is confirmed on two plans, and a side view photo.

Attachments:
File comment: Apologies for the mess in the workshop. You may spot the twin rudders. I calculated the angle at 12 degrees
2013-08-25 20.59.41.jpg
2013-08-25 20.59.41.jpg [ 94.86 KiB | Viewed 10945 times ]