The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:44 pm 

DariusP wrote:
Anthony P - I am ALMOST sure that I have seen posts about stripes on funnels of Russian battleships somewhere on Russian forums but there is just no way that I can find it again any time soon.

Darius, thank you for your response. Russian forums are beyond me, I am afraid!

All I can say is that the Sobanski book illustrates the Petropavlovsk in 1915 with a thin red stripe on the front funnel, while it contains pictures (BW of course!) of the Gangut in 1914 -before acceptance trials- with one thick black (?) stripe in each funnel and in 1915 with one thin stripe in each funnel. Same stripe pattern for the Sevastopol in 1917-18 -colour undetermined... Maybe someone else knows - we have very knowledgeable people in the MW community and I am very grateful for info I have received over the years!

Would you have any information regarding differences between ships at the early stages of their lives? I would assume that the ships built by the same shipyard (Sevastopol and Petropavlovsk at the Baltitskiy Zavod, Gangut and Poltava at the Admiralteyskiy Zavod) would have emerged as identical sisters when starting their lives. It seems though that not all received their full 75mm armament from the very beginning.

Anthony

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:35 pm 

Location: Cologne / Germany, sometimes Poznan/ Poland and Chessington/ UK
Hi Antony,

about Sevastopol Timmy C. showed 1 page before here a link to a picture around 1916 and there she had only on aft turret her 2 x 75mm guns on the roof. On the other 3 turrets are no installed. If this is valid for all 4 "Gangut's" I can't say, but I made my current Sevastopol having only on aft turret guns (see work in progress thread).

Cheers,
Christian
:wave_1:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:57 am 

Anthony P wrote:
Would you have any information regarding differences between ships at the early stages of their lives? I would assume that the ships built by the same shipyard (Sevastopol and Petropavlovsk at the Baltitskiy Zavod, Gangut and Poltava at the Admiralteyskiy Zavod) would have emerged as identical sisters when starting their lives. It seems though that not all received their full 75mm armament from the very beginning.

Anthony, first you have to understand that dreadnoughts are really outside of the area of my main interest so my knowledge about them is fragmentary. But,from what I understand, all 4 ships of Sevastopol class were indeed very similar to begin with.
About armament: A.W Skvorcov in "Battleships of Sevastopol class" (midel -shangout 1(6) 2003) writes that, according to the design, all ships should have received eight 75mm, four 47mm and four 63.5mm AA guns. In fact (due to the gun shortages) Sevastopol and Poltava received two 75mm and one 47mm while Petropavlovsk and Gangut two 63.5mm and one 47mm.

Last edited by DariusP on Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:33 am 

Hello Darius,

do you have the ISBN number of that book about Gangut class? Further, do you know a good book about Borodino class ships too?

However,
helpfull are things on narod.ru and this here what I found about Gangut class in Internet: http://www.steelnavy.com/OS%20Sevastopol.htm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:02 pm 

two different paints of same ship
isbn of seastopol midel 5-85875-025-7
ciao peppe

Attachments:
SHIP_399.jpg
SHIP_399.jpg [ 38.17 KiB | Viewed 8083 times ]
Color2.jpg
Color2.jpg [ 136.71 KiB | Viewed 8083 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:29 am 

Sevastopol class: ISBN 5-85875-025-7 Christian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:44 pm 

peppe wrote:
two different paints of same ship isbn of seastopol midel 5-85875-025-7

This is just artwork peppe so "artistic licence" and all that... And we don't even know when they were done.

Christian M. wrote:
Also eagle on stern is at Zvezda a golden decal, but here I will try to paint PE eagle from Pontos in full color with black, golden feets and beacks, silver crown etc. :wave_1:

I have stumbled upon something Christian... Two surviving eagels from Russian ships were painted gold not black:
http://www.balancer.ru/forum/punbb/attachment.php?item=6660&download=2 is from "Gangut";
http://www.balancer.ru/forum/punbb/attachment.php?item=6752&download=2 from cruiser "Kniaz Pozharskij".
Both come from this thread: http://forums.airbase.ru/2005/10/t35298,5--krejser.html about half way down the page.

More importantly, look at this photo of Poltava's stern: http://fanmodel.tforums.org/gallery/image_page.php?id=121

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:30 am 

Anthony P - I was doing some research into bands on the funnels of Gangut class ships and have found a Russian site with a great collection of photos of those ships: http://fanmodel.tforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=16. If you look through those photos you will notice that Gangut did have band of each funnel near the funnel's top. Poltava did have bands on both funnels too but about half way up. Pertopavlovsk - band on forward funnel high up. Sevastopol - band on forward funnel half way up.
And, judging from this photo of Petropavlovsk at CWMM in St Peterburg, the colour of the bands was red: http://radikal.ru/F/s004.radikal.ru/i207/1008/37/0185660e2375.jpg.html

Last but not least: here is a photo of Gangut's funnel which should allow you to estimate band's width:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:49 am 

Hello Darius,

you are again very helpfull and bring some light in "my darkness of missing knowledge". :thumbs_up_1:
So I will repaint eagle in complete gold color ... all the detail work I did was useless! :woo_hoo: :big_grin:

Last edited by Christian M. on Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:32 am 

Christian M. wrote:
... all the detail work I did was useless! :woo_hoo: :big_grin:

Call it "practice" and you will feel much better :big_grin:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:34 am 

DapiusP - Happy New Year! I have to express my appreciation and and many thanks for the links and photo! Question fully answered...

Anthony

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:25 am 

Identification bands on the funnels of Gangut class battleships.

Best regards to all.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:01 pm 

Ok, so a red stripe around forward funnel at Sevastopol ... great and thank you. :smallsmile: :wave_1:

But another question ... only to be 105% sure for preventing any fatal error as happened at my Varyag with being grey painted insteed dark oliv:

On modern Russian / Soviet ships, metal ground areas on deck are in a red brown shape (don't know without dictonary material in English in moment), but this was not on WW-1 Gangut's too (there are some areas wich are not wooden floor, particularly at bridge, central funnel platform and aft coning tower / mast platforms etc.)?
As told, only to be sure, because in moment I can change it if it was, later not.

Cheers,
Christian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:08 pm 

Christian M. wrote:
On modern Russian / Soviet ships, metal ground areas on deck are in a red brown shape, but this was not on WW-1 Gangut's too (there are some areas which are not wooden floor, particularly at bridge, central funnel platform and aft coning tower / mast platforms etc.)?

Forgive me, but I did not understand, where is your question? :smallsmile:
If you ask about the covering of the bridges, central funnel platform and aft coning tower / mast platforms, I can answer that they had a coating of linoleum.
It can be argued with a very high probability, that this linoleum had reddish-brown color (red iron oxide).
A wooden grids (lattice) are lie over the linoleum covering on the bridges.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:27 am 

This is a standard design of Russian battleship bridges. :smallsmile:
As you can see, they are too thin for the wooden cover.

It`s the aft coning tower/mast platforms:

It`s the central funnel platform:

And the forward bridge with the wooden lattice:

Best regards
Kronma

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:13 am 

Kronma 77 wrote:
Christian M. wrote:
On modern Russian / Soviet ships, metal ground areas on deck are in a red brown shape, but this was not on WW-1 Gangut's too (there are some areas which are not wooden floor, particularly at bridge, central funnel platform and aft coning tower / mast platforms etc.)?

Forgive me, but I did not understand, where is your question? :smallsmile:
If you ask about the covering of the bridges, central funnel platform and aft coning tower / mast platforms, I can answer that they had a coating of linoleum.
It can be argued with a very high probability, that this linoleum had reddish-brown color (red iron oxide).
A wooden grids (lattice) are lie over the linoleum covering on the bridges.

Hi Kromma,

this was my question about, if they have the reddish brown linoleum coratin on floor. So they had this linoleum coating in 1914/ 1915 too ... or only later during Soviet time?
Sorry to re-ask now, but I want only to be sure about with my Sevastopol model from Zvezda. :wave_1:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:56 am 

Yes Christian, even Rurik II (1909) did have linoleum covering on the bridges.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:21 am 

Thank you Darius .... so I will make the floors with it and paint them in reddish brown.

Problem is / was, that all useful Pictures I found of early Gangut's gave no real view on the floors of all the named patform areas, because this tarpaulin on railings. :wave_1:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:46 pm 

Images of the Zvezda 1/350 Marat CAD have been released! Here are two views, courtesy of user Litvin70 who posted them in the Upcoming Releases thread:
http://images.vfl.ru/ii/1388344786/563d6675/3865293.jpg
http://images.vfl.ru/ii/1388344786/a805475e/3865294.jpg
They are very large files, so be patient!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:17 pm 

Has Zvezda released this kit now ?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next