The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:22 am 

Location: Cologne / Germany, sometimes Poznan/ Poland and Chessington/ UK
Hello,

it is not special for one class as i.e. the Borodinos, it is a general issue about Russian Pre-Dreadnoughts.

Because I choosed (beside Royal Navy) as primary area of main intrest the Russo-Japanese war of 1904/1905, I need of course some more ... let me say "education" about the depending ships. So first and most important question is of course "which books are good to get necessary knowledge about and to rate what has to be (maybe) corrected on a kit and so on?"

Friend DariusP named me some in the past, as I learned in meantime by others here that in some other books I found and got is at least only bull**** written. So, because I have no big knowledge, I need to know which books are necessary and / or value to buy ... and because German book shops I know and found are sometimes strange in such things (even naming ISBN n° they can't find or help!), as well good shops where to buy in and outside Germany.

Thank you in advance!

Cheers,
Christian
:-)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:48 pm 

two books I really like are Russo-Japanese Naval War Vols 1 & 2 by Piotr Olender. They are available on Amazon
Also Start at this web site for more information
http://www.russojapanesewar.com/intro.html

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:09 pm 

Hi,
You can find very helpful russian naval books in this shop
http://www.navarin.ru/index.php/cPath/2 ... /39/page/5
http://www.navarin.ru/product_info.php/products_id/1531

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:44 am 

Thank you for info and help :-)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:59 am 

If you can find it somewhere at a reasonable price (or find a library which has it) you should start with "Russian & Soviet Battleships" by Stephen McLaughlin Christian. It's not perfect but it's the best English language source for general knowledge about Russian pre-dreads.

http://www.amazon.com/Russian-Soviet-Ba ... 1557504814

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:14 am 

Christian M.

Good luck with your search for good reference books. My own library now fills four large book cases but I don't think I have anything that will help in this instance.
If you find a good book title try ABE books on-line. I have picked up some good out of print books from here. It does help if you already know the ISBN number. If you are not a book collector and only require the information in the book you can some times get a slightly worn copy or even a paperback version cheaper.

www.chyldshallmodelshipyard.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:56 pm 

http://stores.ebay.com/Russian-Books-an ... 513&_pgn=1

this seller has numerous books on Russian ships. (and other navies as well)
I can not say if he is a good seller or a bad seller because I have not ordered from him

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:42 am 

Thank you guys ... still in process about the named sources here now :-)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:36 pm 

"http://stores.ebay.com/Russian-Books-an ... 513&_pgn=1

this seller has numerous books on Russian ships. (and other navies as well)
I can not say if he is a good seller or a bad seller because I have not ordered from him"

I have ordered from this guy and gotten fine service; no complaints at all.

However, I have to say that, when you order by mail (and there's no other way for this stuff!) it's hard to tell what you are going to get. The quality of these Russian-language monographs varies enormously. And, of course, it's always frustrating to buy (for example) a monograph on the Dvenadsat Apostolov and there are some nice photographs but a ton of text which I simply can't read.

Yours,
James D. Gray

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:45 am 

I quite agree James. It always pays to know something about a Russian book you plan to order because quality is so varied. And yes, it's usefull to have at least a smattering of Russian language (reading at least) to get more info from those books.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:30 am 

http://englishrussia.com/2013/10/17/bat ... e-suvorov/

Nice pictures.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:07 am 

They are. But most of them can be found in a higher resolution elsewhere :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:40 am 

RURIK II

Attachments:
调整大小 P1040922.JPG
调整大小 P1040922.JPG [ 76.52 KiB | Viewed 7263 times ]
调整大小 P1040930.JPG
调整大小 P1040930.JPG [ 69.22 KiB | Viewed 7263 times ]
调整大小 P1040931.JPG
调整大小 P1040931.JPG [ 59.87 KiB | Viewed 7263 times ]
调整大小 P1040923.JPG
调整大小 P1040923.JPG [ 69.54 KiB | Viewed 7263 times ]
调整大小 P1040924.JPG
调整大小 P1040924.JPG [ 78.8 KiB | Viewed 7263 times ]
调整大小 P1040925.JPG
调整大小 P1040925.JPG [ 91.31 KiB | Viewed 7263 times ]
调整大小 P1040926.JPG
调整大小 P1040926.JPG [ 89.14 KiB | Viewed 7263 times ]
调整大小 P1040927.JPG
调整大小 P1040927.JPG [ 59.98 KiB | Viewed 7263 times ]

Last edited by able on Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:29 pm 

As i've just ordered the new Trumpeter 1/350 Tsesarevich, I was wondering what the right colour scheme would be for him. Trumpy have played safe & listed Vallejo 990 as is the standard on all their grey ships so far, but i doubt he's the same colour as EVERY SINGLE other trumpy release....

Any input would be gratefully received.

Thanks guys,

Dean.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:50 am 

Well... that's a topic and a half... what period have you picked for your Tsesarevich? Pre Russo-Japanese War she was wearing white overall with buff funnels. During the R-J War she was painted in "Port Arthur warpaint" which was a dark olive colour (a mixture of olive, ochre and black) but its exact shade is unknown.

Check this page for more detailed discussion. It deals with Variag but also applies to Tsesarevich.
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=12304&p=543542&hilit=variag#p543542

Last edited by DariusP on Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:03 pm 

According to the box title, Tsesarevich is in his 1917 fit, so a Russian Revolution scheme would sound most likely. But as i said, Trumpy wanna have us paint the ship in light grey.....

Looks like he's gonna be some shade of olive.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:15 am 

I have only seen pre-production photos of this kit and it certainly didn't look like 1917 version. But, if it is, than mid grey would be a correct colour. Like Avrora in this photo EXCEPT for the red hull below the waterline.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_cr ... Aurora.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:35 am 

DariusP wrote:
I have only seen pre-production photos of this kit and it certainly didn't look like 1917 version. But, if it is, than mid grey would be a correct colour. Like Avrora in this photo EXCEPT for the red hull below the waterline.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_cr ... Aurora.jpg

During my investigations about Sevastopol I found out that WW-1 grey of Russian navy was a darker grey around the shade of German tank grey ... but hard to rate it correct, because status of weathering effect or how new paint is at least major point of shade.

Czesz Darius,
Aurora was a "million times" re- and overpainted since she becomes a monument. A colleague of me wants to make a 1/100 model in R/C version of her, full scratch depending to the millions of photos and also drawings he got from whomever about. During his investigations he founds out that Aurora was so often overpainted and became more an more in a USSR Navy grey at least. ;-)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:59 am 

You are probably right Christian. Almost every photo of Avrora shows a different shade of grey. Could be light conditions could be paint-job :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:47 am 

I have read your post again Christian and I have to say that I disagree with the "WW-1 grey of Russian navy was a darker grey around the shade of German tank grey". I know that it's difficult to guess the ship's color from B&W photos but those photos (as well as model of Petropavlovsk at CWMM museum in St Petersburg) suggest much lighter shade of grey. Mid-grey at the most.