The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 405 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Which were the best 1930's pre-war battleships built?
Poll ended at Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:55 am
King George V class (Britain) 17%  17%  [ 4 ]
Jean Bart class (France) 13%  13%  [ 3 ]
Bismarck class (Germany) 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Vittorio Veneto class (Italy) 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
North Carolina class (United States) 13%  13%  [ 3 ]
South Dakota class (United States} 43%  43%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 23
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:10 pm 

Again, it depends partly on WHEN in 1945 you are looking at. I don't know what configuration Trumpeter has modeled USS MASSACHUSETTS in their kit. Or speak to how accurate it is for any timeframe that USS MASSACHUSETTS was in service.

USS MASSACHUSETTS (BB-59) was overhauled at PSNY in July-August 1944 and emerged in Ms 22. I would think it is safe to assume she would have been painted with the same paints used since the war started, at least since August 1942. She was kept pretty busy after returning to the war zone. She may or may not have had a complete repainting done at a forward base, I don't know. With what paints, I don't know. That gets into the AVAILABILITY of paint supplies question. If she was dry-docked in the forward area, her hull may have been repainted, but likely her superstructure would have only needed to be touched-up.

MASSACHUSETTS didn't have another overhaul until September 1945 after the war was over. TECHNICALLY that was the "end of 1945". New paints likely would have been used then.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:40 pm 

Rick E Davis wrote:
Again, it depends partly on WHEN in 1945 you are looking at. I don't know what configuration Trumpeter has modeled USS MASSACHUSETTS in their kit. Or speak to how accurate it is for any timeframe that USS MASSACHUSETTS was in service.

USS MASSACHUSETTS (BB-59) was overhauled at PSNY in July-August 1944 and emerged in Ms 22. I would think it is safe to assume she would have been painted with the same paints used since the war started, at least since August 1942. She was kept pretty busy after returning to the war zone. She may or may not have had a complete repainting done at a forward base, I don't know. With what paints, I don't know. That gets into the AVAILABILITY of paint supplies question. If she was dry-docked in the forward area, her hull may have been repainted, but likely her superstructure would have only needed to be touched-up.

MASSACHUSETTS didn't have another overhaul until September 1945 after the war was over. TECHNICALLY that was the "end of 1945". New paints likely would have been used then.

The model reportedly portrays the ship at the end of 1945 or early 1946. And when I last asked several years ago, it was said that it was a fairly accurate rendition of the ship with no issues worth reporting.

The instructions show to use the purple blues, but I don't know if Trumpeter's researchers looked deep enough to know about the switching of paint colors in 1945.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ThomasEJohnson

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:36 pm 

pictures show the ship in measure 22 til at least end of war.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:22 pm 

DavidP wrote:
pictures show the ship in measure 22 til at least end of war.

Yeah but was it measure 22 with the purple blues, or with the neutral greys?

http://www.youtube.com/user/ThomasEJohnson

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:35 pm 

they look grey to me.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:52 am 

Hi !

I would like to know where and what kind of outer bridge equipment we can find on this class of ship : sky lookouts, compasses, peloruses, binoculars, lights and so on !

thank you. a little schema of the various outer bridges would be cool ! (especially for a late 43 early 44 Indiana)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:33 am 

I have plans for the 1944/45 South Dakota.

But I think that The Floating Drydock has plans for the 44 Indiana or Massachusetts, but either the Mass or the SoDak would give some details that would be similar across ships (such as the tower lookout stations).

http://floatingdrydock.com/Bu.htm

MB

Working on:

1/700 (All Fall 1942):
HIJMS Nagara
HIJMS Aoba & Kinugasa
USS San Francisco
USS Helena
USS St. Louis
USS Laffey & Farenholt
HIJMS Sub-Chasers No. 4 - 7
HIJMS Sub-Chasers No. 13 - 16

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:00 am 

Yeah but Floating Drydock postal fees are far too expensive for foreign shipping : largely more than the price of one plan...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:12 am 

Does the big 5 had larger float plane's crane than the USS South Dakota class ? Trumpeter's kit in 1/700, the Big 5 have a larger crane and the USS South Dakota class smaller, is that a scale inaccuracy ?).
Thanks in advance :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:05 pm 

I came across the old Yankee Model Backdate kit for MA/AL. Question Is the kit really need to do her post 44. I grew up in the shadow of the MA and went to her numerous times as a child. Just would like to build her as they are now. One for me and one for my CC at home (She is from AL). Also which deck to use blue or teak?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:06 pm 

Well....

As BB-59 is "Now" it has teak-decks, with the metal decks painted Deck-Blue.

But as she was in 1945, those decks would have been completely Deck-Blue.

MB

Working on:

1/700 (All Fall 1942):
HIJMS Nagara
HIJMS Aoba & Kinugasa
USS San Francisco
USS Helena
USS St. Louis
USS Laffey & Farenholt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:49 pm 

Unless something has changed since my last visit, Big Mamie's steel decks are gray.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:10 pm 

Building the Trumpeter 1/350 USS Alabama with Alliance p/e. going with the 1942 config ( I think lol ) Is there a boat crane on the port side to the rear of the last dual 5inch mount ? Thanks !

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:47 am 

pequa1 wrote:
Building the Trumpeter 1/350 USS Alabama with Alliance p/e. going with the 1942 config ( I think lol ) Is there a boat crane on the port side to the rear of the last dual 5inch mount ? Thanks !

When in 1942?

Because her shakedown cruise didn't start until December, 1942, and she had both Boat Cranes landed by that time.

She was outfitted with the cranes, but they were removed shortly afterwards.

I am trying to find my other South Dakota-class book, because the Warship Pictorial only shows the Alabama in July of 1942 (being fitted out - with the king posts for the cranes, but no cranes), and after Dec. 1942 (No cranes or king posts) during the shakedown.

It looks like she has quad-bofors and a couple of 20mm Oerlikons where the cranes would be on each side.

MB

Working on:

1/700 (All Fall 1942):
HIJMS Nagara
HIJMS Aoba & Kinugasa
USS San Francisco
USS Helena
USS St. Louis
USS Laffey & Farenholt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:42 am 

thanks Matthew, that's why I asked here, always an expert ! Tom's Modelworks included one crane in PE but every picture I could find had none. And you are correct, the crane would have been in the way of the quad 40 and even the 5inch mount. I guess they just used the aircraft crane. That said, is there any preferred placement of hose hangers from the P/E ?
I did find a picture of the USS Massachusetts. it has a boat crane on the starboard side, behind aft 5inch mount.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:57 am 

pequa1 wrote:
thanks Matthew, that's why I asked here, always an expert ! Tom's Modelworks included one crane in PE but every picture I could find had none. And you are correct, the crane would have been in the way of the quad 40 and even the 5inch mount. I guess they just used the aircraft crane. That said, is there any preferred placement of hose hangers from the P/E ?
I did find a picture of the USS Massachusetts. it has a boat crane on the starboard side, behind aft 5inch mount.

The Massachusetts kept one of her Boat Cranes (for a while, at least).

For the hose-hangars.... That is a good question, as I have not yet got to that part in the USS South Dakota I am building (as well as it being in 1/700 scale), and I have not yet started looking where Fire-hoses went.

I will look through some books, but I am betting one of the guys who regularly gets out to NARA will have more information.

MB

Working on:

1/700 (All Fall 1942):
HIJMS Nagara
HIJMS Aoba & Kinugasa
USS San Francisco
USS Helena
USS St. Louis
USS Laffey & Farenholt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:37 pm 

Definitely do the book route first. If we took on every question we'd never get any of our own research done. :thumbs_up_1:

That said, it's not a ton of help in this case, but I have South Dakota's 1946 Booklet of General Plans posted and the BOGPs generally have information that can be used to zero in on the hoses. The General Information sheet for a ship will list the number and location of fire plugs; and where there's a fire plug, there's a fire hose. In South Dakota's case, it only lists the number per deck. If you compare it to Arizona's 1941 BOGP you will note that they were typically more useful. But hopefully this will be of some use to someone in the future....

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:48 pm 
How different was the Alabama after her 1945 refit from 1942 which to my knowledge is when the trumpeter kit is supposed to be modeled after from the box.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:02 pm 

http://navsource.org/archives/01/060/016043a.jpg

How different was the Alabama post-1945 refit mainly this picture from September 1945 from the kits of her or Massachusetts in 1/350?

1/350 USS Alabama BB-60

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:03 pm 

The only things that I have cataloged on the Alabama are:

• The Bridge structure being "squared-off" and enclosed from the open, rounded bridge of the 1942 Alabama.
• The platforms on the Pyramid Mast being shaped differently (especially the top one and the level corresponding with the "Striker's Bridge" on the Washington/North Carolina-Class). The top level was more "squared off" in 1942, and more rounded in 1945. And the searchlight platform on the Aft of Pyramid Mast is shaped differently.
• The Mainmast is removed from the pedestal and attached to the aft of the stack.
• More light AA guns (don't know where on the 'bama).

MB

Working on:

1/700 (All Fall 1942):
HIJMS Nagara
HIJMS Aoba & Kinugasa
USS San Francisco
USS Helena
USS St. Louis
USS Laffey & Farenholt

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 405 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next