The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 395 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next

Which were the best 1930's pre-war battleships built?
Poll ended at Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:55 am
King George V class (Britain) 17%  17%  [ 4 ]
Jean Bart class (France) 13%  13%  [ 3 ]
Bismarck class (Germany) 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Vittorio Veneto class (Italy) 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
North Carolina class (United States) 13%  13%  [ 3 ]
South Dakota class (United States} 43%  43%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 23
 Post subject: Radar
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:54 pm 

Anyone know where the 6 40mm mounts where on the Mass when it first saw action in 42?

Last edited by bb-56 on Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: BB-59
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:19 pm 

Been making my BB-59 from the Hasegawa BB-60 Kit and 2 Skywave E9 Kits for more accurate dual 38s and all Flak guns and all the directors. The skywave parts really enhance the Hasegawa.

And so I visited the Mass. today. To my suprise, it had one boat crane on the starboard side only. The port side had a raised deck level that originally was lined with oerlikons. I checked the famous casablanca photo and she was built with 2 cranes so I went home and removed that entire square deck that goes right behind the funnel, then glued the mast back on. Now there is room for a pair of launches. I found pictures online that are inconclusive when the port crane was removed.

PS
The Teak decking is in very bad shape and there is unfortunate rust along the weather deck edges, but encouragingly, quite a few workers where welding and grinding the ship and one fellow was painting. The gift shop had a 1/350 Trumpy Massachusetts in stock.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:54 pm 

Quote:
Anyone know where the 6 40mm mounts where on the Mass when it first saw action in 42?

bb-56,

You should post that over on the Warships1/NavWeaps BB Discussion board.

http://warships1discussionboards.yuku.c ... eship.html

Member BOBC59 is a plank-owner from the Mamie, so address the question to him. IIRC, he was a black gang member, but he may know....

Regards,

Big Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:09 am 

G'day all.

I am wanting to buy a South Dakota/Alabama model in 1/700, but from what I currently know, Hasegawa is the only company that do these. I have also been told by an aquaintance that Hasegawa no longer, for whatever reason, do as technically detailed models as say Tamiya or Trumpeter. Is this correct ?

I am pretty sure I read somewhere on this site that Trumpeter may be doing the SoDaks in 1/700. Anyone able to clear this up for & also advise if anyone else does the SoDaks.

Thanks all. :smallsmile:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:40 pm 

JPH wrote:
I am pretty sure I read somewhere on this site that Trumpeter may be doing the SoDaks in 1/700. Anyone able to clear this up for & also advise if anyone else does the SoDaks.

Trumpy first released the North Carolina in 1/350, then followed in 1/700. Since they also did this with the Lexington's and Hood, it is expected that the South Dakota's will be the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:30 pm 

Thanks for that info Dick. Let's hope they stay true to form & release 1/700 Sodaks. :thumbs_up_1:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:48 am 

Additionally, while they haven't released anything new in 1/700 that I recall, they have been releasing 1/350th kits that are far above what Tamiya's last 1/350th effort produced.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:06 am 
JPH wrote:
G'day all.

I have also been told by an aquaintance that Hasegawa no longer, for whatever reason, do as technically detailed models as say Tamiya or Trumpeter. Is this correct ?

Thanks all. :smallsmile:

The bow is too narrow, and all the weapons, directors and radars have to be upgraded with skywave or similar. And some sodaks had a large boat crane next to the sky2 FC tower. I will post pics of my 57 and 59 shortly. the review page pretty much has all the shortcomings but I think the basic superstructure and details are sufficient if you add AA directors etc. The skywave e9 also has 2 anchors that can be glued over the terrible moulded in anchors on the hasegawa kit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:43 pm 

Thanks for that info bb56. :thumbs_up_1:

I have ordered BB-60 last week, so will arrive soon. I am one of those people that really enjoys the finer detail so will look into skywave after I check out the Bama. Hopefully, Trumpeter will give us a one or two of the Sodaks in 1/700 soon.

I am looking forward to seeing your Sodak & Mass pics.

Post subject: Interesting SD picture
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:09 pm 
Some of you may be interested in a new photo posted at Navsource by Pieter Bakels. It show modifications made on the SD in 1942.
http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/015736m.jpg

Moderator note: You can't link to NavSource pictures. You can link to the pages, however. The picture in question is the 2nd pictures down on this page: http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/57e.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:57 am 

Thanks for the links gs.

Is there more than 1 new photo?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:34 pm 
SeanF wrote:

Anyway, my question is: what are those black things on top of SoDak's turrets? They are visible in the photo posted earlier in this thread, and I've seen them on photos of her taken throughtout the war but not on her sisters, who usually have liferafts up there. (And those black things are definitely not liferafts.) I've seen similar things in photos of Nevada, post-repair/rebuild. Anyone know what they are, and any suggestions how to replicate them in 1:700?

Thanks.

- Sean F.

I am pretty sure they are floater nets. BB-59 had them neatly in baskets along the front of each 5"38 turret instead of atop the main battery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:25 pm 

Finally finishing up my Big Mamie from Trumpeter. I haven't finished a model in many years (I have a ton of half-builds, however). I don't know what I'll do with myself when the thing is finished! Regardless, I'm nowhere near the skill level of you guys and am a bit hesitant to take pictures. Too many hobbies that I'm just not great at: guitar, models, cars (though I finally got myself a 1976 BMW 2002 to restore!)... Eventually I'll choose a hobby to really develop. Probably the car, since I fit inside it...

Massachusetts sparked my interest in the navy. At 5 years old, I spent the night on her as part of a trip. Since then, I've been very interested in all things US Navy. I convinced myself at that age the Missouri was my favorite ship as my dad had "that big model" of it, but having Massachusetts in this large scale is just fantastic. I'm shocked at the quality of my work (in comparison to my past models), but disappointed that I can't bring it up to the site's standard!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:29 am 

rtheriaque wrote:
Finally finishing up my Big Mamie from Trumpeter. I'm nowhere near the skill level of you guys and am a bit hesitant to take pictures.

I'm shocked at the quality of my work (in comparison to my past models), but disappointed that I can't bring it up to the site's standard
!

You know what, you have piqued my interest & I would really like to see some pics of this build.

Please. :thumbs_up_1:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:00 am 

rtheriaque wrote:
Finally finishing up my Big Mamie from Trumpeter. I'm nowhere near the skill level of you guys and am a bit hesitant to take pictures.

I'm shocked at the quality of my work (in comparison to my past models), but disappointed that I can't bring it up to the site's standard
!

There are no "standards" on this or any site ( I hope)...every modeler and every model is equal and welcome here!!!...take some pictures and show us you're handywork man!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:53 am 

If anything, the only standard we would want to set would be that the modeler HAD FUN. People have fun in a bunch of different ways though, so there's no way to set a standard, and we wouldn't really want to. Too much policing work ;)

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:46 am 

Almost done... I'll post pictures when complete.

As for "most fun..."

There's an old piece of wisdom: "God makes babies cute so you don't kill them." Similarly, I think rigging a model comes last so you aren't tempted to smash months' worth of work leading up to it. If rigging came closer to the start of the project I'd have a puddle of melted plastic at this point...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:08 am 

As long promised...

This is my first build using photo etch, so pardon that aspect...

I took these pictures before weathering, dullcoat, flags and tightening the rigging- I wanted to prove that I'd built the thing and it looked halfway presentable before I potentially blew it with flame, dullcoat, moving it for spray, or clumsy hands.

Pardon my camera...

I'll update with the final pics when I take them (probably after the display case arrives).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:18 am 

Looks great! I see nothing that says "first time PE."

-Barbara Tuchman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:26 am 

Indeed, that's a really good PE job, especially for a first-time attempt, and the overall build is very clean and well executed. Thanks for sharing.

-Devin

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 395 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next