The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 667 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 34  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:23 pm 

Might as well start one myself. So, the only kit out there appearantly is the old Matchbox kit (OOP), which was re-issued by Revell (OOP) which was in turn re-issued by Alanger and supposedly only available in Russia. But NNT Modell has it listed on the site for a measily 9 euro's and so I went ahead and ordered one. I don't have it yet, but there's nothing to indicate it won't come.
What will I need to make this kit (if it ever arrives) look like a descent HMS Exeter (1942 Java sea version)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:45 pm 
Starling Models
Starling Models

hi Michel,
I''m doing one as a River Plate version but other things have taken priority at the moment. Biggest thing that needs fixing is the deck, there are no deck planks so I am trying to replace it with evergreen N guage siding. Not an easy job as the hull is in two halves and it needs a bit of engineering. After that there is a long list of what you might want to fix, what you might get away with and what you will have to fix if you want something that is anywhere near accurate. Once you get it pm me and I'll go through what I have found, though I'm away for ten days now so will reply when I get back.
W
hat you will need is some new boats and some wem cruiser cranes, though the list could be a long one, but the kit isn't as bad as I'm probably making it sound, it is do-able.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:01 am 

Anything from Matchbox is doable. I have been trying to get hold of an Exeter for ages.

If anyone wants to part with one, please PM me!

Thanks,

Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:22 am 

I've been working with her sistership ship, York. Lovelly ships. I happen to also have Matchbox Exeter which I got on E-bay from Hong-Kong once. A very rare model these days but might show up sometimes at E-bay, though price might go high. It's a bit of rude model but workable. I did take a look on her for a long time and did some comparison to York and what to get for her (I want to build her in the Java Sea version also) and I got some extra parts from WEM already (being the 4'' doubles some of them for instance). Other parts might be achieved with extra-market apart from one which I haven't been able to spot it anywhere....the seaplane catapult which apparently was of a unique or at least very rare looking type on Exeter (even different from Yorks one).
Might be a good project Michel. One of my favourite cruisers ever... I should be considering doing her after finishing York perhaps. We shall see.

Filipe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:13 am 

Matchbox's 1/700 waterline Exeter appears on eBay about 1 every month, I got mine from there for less than £10 a few years back.

There not as rare as you think in the UK as I've seen them at model shows also.

For reference material I have 3 of the 5 NMM 'As fitted sheets' for Exeter and a drawing Alan Raven sent me of the Winter 1940 modifications made to her which is what she will look like at Java.

She is a most beautiful ship indeed :big_grin:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:38 pm 

So chaps, I've got her. Arrived today. Will post an inbox review later. First things first: it says on the box:
"Made under license of Revell AG by <<Alanger Group International Ltd.>> (Russia). Any sale of this product outside the states of the ex-USSR is illegal"

What do you think of this? Should I turn myself in? :big_grin:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:24 am 

Dino Carancini wrote:
I saw Laurence post about cruisers references and I'm wondering where I could buy online this title :

Warship Profile 13 : HMS Exeter Heavy Cruiser 1929-1941 By Randall A. R. Tonks.

Any help will be apreciated!

Dino you can buy that small warship profile on Exeter on ebay there always for sale on there!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:14 am 

Lozza1981 wrote:
Dino you can buy that small warship profile on Exeter on ebay there always for sale on there!

Thank you, I'll check on ebay!

Dino

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:38 am 

I know this isn't relevant to modern-day modelling scale builders, but there IS another OOP kit of HMS Exeter that was once quite popular. It was manufactured and/or marketed by Airfix around 40-45 years ago (or longer), and was in or around 1:500 scale. At last check, this gem was going for BIG money as a collector's item. I had one in the '60s that I built, not realizing then what a treasure it would become...just like my 1966 baseball card collection :mad_1: :lol_1:

Laurence may be able to clarify this further, but I seem to recall HMS Exeter's re-issue by another marketer since those days....perhaps Frog?

Of course, this cruiser IS on my scratch-build list as a possible HMS Suffolk conversion, or perhaps as an enlarged HMS Ajax--both in 1:600, which is my own preferred scale.

One last comment--I thought I saw an HMS York recently, in paper-kit form, either in existence or in the works, but I may be way-off base...

O L, back to the hedgerow now....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:06 am 

Dan, no its an original 1/500 FROG kit from the 1960s.

FROG were a London based company who were on the scene with ship model kits way before Airfix had built Victorious its first ship kit.

Anything 1/500 scale you come across is usually always FROG as its their scale and their moulds have been bought up by all sorts!

The kit is still easy and cheap to find both as the FROG (more expensive) and also the later eastern European re-release NOVO. I sold a NOVO to Vlad a few months back and have still an original FROG one boxed in Aladdin's cave :heh: there come up on eBay weekly!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:23 am 

Dino Carancini wrote:
I saw Laurence post about cruisers references and I'm wondering where I could buy online this title :

Warship Profile 13 : HMS Exeter Heavy Cruiser 1929-1941 By Randall A. R. Tonks.

Any help will be apreciated!

I have some nice drawings B/N and in color ( the one in color isn't so accurate, but it's of some help ), but I still look for more documentation, and I'm available to share mine.

Regards

Dino

I don't know if any of you here, have seen this book:

ISBN:0890097801

It contains most of the information and color profiles of the "Profile Warship" series--literally dozens of them--and the price of the book is very reasonable at most used book dealers, far cheaper than chasing the individual publications (but of course, less content). The important thing is, the essentials are there, along with the color plates.

A few examples are: Furious, Cossack, Hermes, Illustrious, Dreadnought, Rodney, Hood, Lion/Queen Mary, Exeter, Abdiel, Hotspur, Cavalier, König, Seydlitz,Bismarck, Scharnhorst, Graf Spee, DeRuyter, and many more.

I mention it here, because it seems that every time I see a Profile-series book on eBay or elsewhere, I think "Hey, I've got THAT one already!"---but it's in the above book...

:wave_1:

It's been a not-so-secret secret of mine for many years, just thought I'd share it with you folks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:38 am 

Dan, I have the book also and the complete set of all 40 Warship Profiles in their original Arm's & Armour binders do I get a gold star??? :heh:

The book if my memory is correct actually omits alot of stuff which is in the profiles it is a collection of all the colour artwork and a few other nits and bobs, but it does not have the vast amounts of goodies in the profiles, but of course it is much cheaper buddy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:42 am 

Lozza1981 wrote:
Dan, no its an original 1/500 FROG kit from the 1960s.

Anything 1/500 scale you come across is usually always FROG as its their scale and their moulds have been bought up by all sorts!

I presume then, that Airfix bought some and labelled it with their logo...not the new logo, but the older one they had back in the '60s...I am absolutely certain mine was an Airfix kit. I remember this especially, as I purchased it around the same time as my first Hood kit, and was disappointed that they weren't the same scale.

I am aware of Frog and Novo, in fact Frog still markets two Perfect Scale kits--Repulse and Prince of Wales(?), both re-boxed Airfix/Heller/whatever of their Repulse and King George V kits.
I also have a few MPC re-boxes of Airfix kits, dating to the early 1980s when MPC bought their molds and moved them just down the road an hour or two from me, at their Mount Clemens, MI factory.

I see too, that there's a Polish firm offering what look like Airfix/Heller re-boxed destroyer kits in Perfect Scale--one of them I think is a re-named Cossack, the other I forget. I saw them at Squadron Hobbies online...they look interesting, just for their box-art.

Cheers! :wave_1:

Last edited by RNfanDan on Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:48 am 

Well Dan as I wasn't born I'll have to trust you :big_grin: though I'm sure Airfix have never reboxed anyone else's kits except Heller very recently.

Airfix marketed and prided themselves on being the first company in the world to produce warship kits to a 'constant scale' and not 'box-scale' like FROG and Revell were doing at the time.

Having been one of Airfix's biggest fans since the 1980s I have never ever seen a Airfix Exeter, the company's book I have also does not mention it, only FROG and Matchbox have ever produced Exeter with the later coming in the form of 700 waterline later on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:55 am 

Quote:
...far cheaper than chasing the individual publications (but of course, less content). The important thing is, the essentials are there, along with the color plates.

Lozza 1981 wrote:
The book if my memory is correct actually omits alot of stuff which is in the profiles it is a collection of all the colour artwork and a few other nits and bobs, but it does not have the vast amounts of goodies in the profiles, but of course it is much cheaper buddy.

Laurence, you are a man of my words... :big_grin:

My good friend, OF COURSE you get a gold star! :eyebrows:

One last thing....does your copy have the same cover as the image I posted? I ask, because this is NOT the original edition of Lyon's book...which was published several years earlier (1977?)...THAT book was pretty much identical, except the jacket image was a wrap-around of the book's profile color plate of Bismarck, on a white background. The copy I now have is a replacement for my original, which had become tattered and worn beyond recognition! :lol_1:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:26 am 

RNfanDan wrote:
... my original, which had become tattered and worn beyond recognition! :lol_1:

My copy too! In the Dutch translation... My folks gave it to me for my 11th birthday (18 years ago..) and I have only recently recovered it from their attic. It has fallen apart in several ... erm... subassemblies. But still a useful reference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:30 am 

I know at one time I had a white dustcover one and the black one you posted, not sure if I sold either or both as my shelf spaced is severly strained :heh:

Let's have a poke around the archive and see what I can find. Buy the Profiles Dan they are a much, I'm sure the books doesnt have all the photos, drawings and running commentaries the profiles have. You can normally pick each ship up for about £1-£5 each if you take your time, some are very rare though.

Often job lots or complete sets come up on eBay! :big_grin:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:36 am 

Dan I've had a quick look can't see it I definately had the black covered one recently I mean in the last 3 years!!!:big_grin:

I think after looking through it, and as the material was duplicated in the 40 profiles I have, I think I must have sold off both books. :eyebrows:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:33 am 

Hi!

This photo is claimed to be of the HMS Exeter...

...I keep looking it ... but I'm thinking that the subject was not the Exeter or York, anyone that can confirm it?

Thank you in advance!

Dino

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:47 am 

Hmm, this is apparently a two turret ship, I mean you can see the back of two turrets on the photo which is a feature for both cruisers mentioned. Still, those supports and the doors you can see in the superstructure don't match at least York. But it's just a guess. Hard to tell. Deck is too wet to say if it's either wood or steel but looks more steel to me fact that would take out York of the list.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 667 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 34  Next