The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 648 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:11 am 

Of some interest to some may be the below image which appears to be a per-production drawing of the cruiser Exeter's (68) crest (as opposed to D89's which as we know was circular). And a painting I have by artist Ross Watton (https://www.rosswatton.com/index.html)

Attachments:
HMS-Exeter-crest-drawing.jpg
HMS-Exeter-crest-drawing.jpg [ 102.58 KiB | Viewed 704 times ]
Exeter-68-&-D89-crest.jpg
Exeter-68-&-D89-crest.jpg [ 126.34 KiB | Viewed 704 times ]
The-Spirit-of-HMS-EXETER.jpg
The-Spirit-of-HMS-EXETER.jpg [ 167.64 KiB | Viewed 687 times ]

Last edited by KevinD on Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:36 am 

And a plaque from my collection, although I may(?) have posted this one before.

Attachments:
Destruction-of-Graf-Spee-plaque.jpg
Destruction-of-Graf-Spee-plaque.jpg [ 160.21 KiB | Viewed 699 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:14 am 

Thanks, Kevin - do you know of any resource that explains or details the symbology of the crest(s)?

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:39 am 

Tracy White wrote:
Thanks, Kevin - do you know of any resource that explains or details the symbology of the crest(s)?

No Tracy, unfortunately I do not.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:30 am 

Tracy White wrote:

https://www.heraldry-wiki.com/heraldrywiki/index.php?title=HMS_Exeter,_Royal_Navy
According to this page the ship's crest was designed in 1928 adapted from the Exeter city coat of arms (Logical, eh?). The crowned red lion with the golden orb are from the helmet sign of the CoA, the waves (very fitting for a ship!) were already in the shield bearers' pegases' wings.
Attachment:
Exeter.jpg
Exeter.jpg [ 57.16 KiB | Viewed 445 times ]

Now you ask about the symbology of all the elements: well the lion is an animal of power, red is a fiery colour of passion, the crown and the orb are symbols of worldly power, the waves are a symbol of the sea connecting the peoples of the world, something like this. Any further or deeper explanation might be found in the official description of the coat of arms of Exeter, there it says:

"The crest itself is a red crowned lion holding a golden orb. This is for Richard Earl of Cornwall, Holy Roman Emperor. The same lion appears in the arms of Devon County Council and some of the towns and districts of Devon. The supporters are winged horses or pegases. The wings are charged with blue waves and thus is represented the river Exe which once made the city a major port."

Satisfied?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:21 am 

Certainly more than I had been able to find in my searches, thanks! I was mainly curious in the change in the orbs between the cruiser D68's crest and D89's Kevin posted above. Being American, my knowledge of symbology is more... corporate, so the change from a + in the orb to a ┬ (not sure if that will come through but it's similar to ASCII 194 was curious to me and I didn't know if there was a reason behind it.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:35 am 

Tracy White wrote:
Certainly more than I had been able to find in my searches, thanks! I was mainly curious in the change in the orbs between the cruiser D68's crest and D89's Kevin posted above. Being American, my knowledge of symbology is more... corporate, so the change from a + in the orb to a ┬ (not sure if that will come through but it's similar to ASCII 194 was curious to me and I didn't know if there was a reason behind it.

Hi Tracy,
You're now really into the details! The orb (in German: Reichsapfel, in Latin: globus cruciger) in the Exeter crest is referring to the one of the 'Holy Roman Empire' (962-1806), which was mostly German in the first place! Richard Earl of Cornwall of the House Plantagenet (1209-1272) was one of these Roman-Kings (crowned in Aachen in 1257): this appointment wasn't hereditary.

This is an image of the orb that was used in the empire. As this was more than 200 years ago no photo's seem to exist of it, and I have no clue whether this gem survived the abyss of time. The 'fleurons' on the arms of the cross seem a bit typical for this orb: the British orb doesn't have these. As for the empire itself: the name 'Roman' might be bewildering to an American, it refers to being "Roman Catholic" (but in reality the empire wasn't very religious or holy at all...)
Addition: the 'regalia' did survive the times and are currently kept in the Hofburg in Vienna: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_Treasury,_Vienna

Attachment:
Reichsapfel.jpg
Reichsapfel.jpg [ 53.08 KiB | Viewed 355 times ]

For a explanation on various orbs of different countries look here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Globus_cruciger

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:26 am 

Thanks Maarten. I've seen descriptions of US ship crests and figured there was something similar for other countries. I guess the Royal Navy needs a royal version of the Navy Heritage & History Command.

-Barbara Tuchman

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 648 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33