The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 648 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 33  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:52 am 

...in particular the things that are giving me some troubles are two:

- the hatches on the back side of the main towers, I don't think there were such things on the 8" twin mount towers.

- the ready to use ammo cases ( ? ) on the right, in my documentation the 4" AA guns ammo should be near the funnels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:58 am 

Dino Carancini wrote:
- the hatches on the back side of the main towers, I don't think there were such things on the 8" twin mount towers.

As far as I can remember they had in fact two hatches on the back of the 8' turrets but not that close to the corner of the turret I think.

Dino Carancini wrote:
- the ready to use ammo cases ( ? ) on the right, in my documentation the 4" AA guns ammo should be near the funnels.

Yes, 4'' AA guns were amidships between main funnel and searchlight structure on York. Exeter might be the same also. Those probably are other things rather then ready to use ammo cases.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:12 am 

Dino Carancini wrote:
Hi!

This photo is claimed to be of the HMS Exeter...

...I keep looking it ... but I'm thinking that the subject was not the Exeter or York, anyone that can confirm it?

Thank you in advance!

Dino

Yes I've always thought this wasn't Exeter or York, though its kept in my Exeter folder for now.

I've always thought it looked more Destroyer to me, the mountings look like more like enclosed Destroyer style of which type I cannot make out, but maybe L/M class or something late war :scratch: Look at the lower left corner of the back of the mounting you can see some sort of pipework coming out of the mounting, which screams a destroyer mounting to me also....

The other thing which contradicts this is I think in the foreground I can see some ladders which would be only in that position if this was a Cruiser or capital ship.

Last edited by Laurence Batchelor on Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:37 am 

@Filipe: ...you are right, thank you, looking better on my plans I found the two hatches!

@Lozza: ... maybe you are right, looking better the A tower we can't see the range finder, that on the 8" mount was very long, probably the one in the photo is a destroyer.

Dino

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:25 am 

I suspect the 'not for sale outside the USSR' is because Revell of Germany hold the Matchbox moulds and leased the Exeter to Alanger in return for some of Alanger's ex-ICM stuff for Revell rebox and sell.

Why don't Revell get the moulds back and market some under their label?

Makes me want to look out Roger Chesneau's review in the old Scale Models that I found in the wardrobe last year..

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:44 am 

About the Walrus carried on board the Exeter during the Rio de la Plata battle, is it true that it was one of the York Walrus? Any idea about the markings and colour scheme?

Thanks

Dino

PS still far from putting the Walrus on the catapult, I still need to scratchbuild them :heh: ....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:43 am 

NNT makes a nice 1:700 walrus, includig PE. WEM have them too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:46 am 

Apparently (FAA site source) both ships used Walrues from 718th and 700th Squadrons fron 1939-1942. That's all I got so far. Exeter carried Walrues after the River Plate refit and so did York before she got crippled. Not sure if they exchanged the planes like you say. Anyway, photos of Exeter (eventually pre-war ones) show the Walrus without camouflage...probably silver painted or sort of. Those photos before Java Sea took place show a Walrus being pulled by the crane but the photo isn't good enough to show if the plane had camo or not.
I also have to build my Walrus for HMS York. :big_grin:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:47 am 

MichelB wrote:
NNT makes a nice 1:700 walrus, includig PE. WEM have them too.

Thank you Michel, I already have the WEM Walrus, "scratchbuild" was about the catapults, my English is really bad .. :eyebrows:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:51 am 

Dino Carancini wrote:
my English is really bad .. :eyebrows:

No it isn't!
That was a fine sentence. I just choose the wrong of several possible interpretations. :thumbs_up_1:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:56 am 

Dino Carancini wrote:
"scratchbuild" was about the catapults

Hmm, both Exeter and York haves different styles of catapults being Exeter's one (the strange looking V/Y style one) hard to get or scratch. Anyway, this is how I did my catapult for HMS York using the photo-etch parts from the set that comes with the Samek kit and some more parts from the County class set from WEM, plus a few more scratch parts from myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:58 am 

Might as well ask you, Filipe, how the bleep do you paint after assembly of the PE on the ship? Airbrush or painbrush? And how do you keep that nice and not clogged?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:03 am 

...awesome Filipe!

I got a fret of GMM generic RN WWII PE details, I hope to be able to use some parts to build my "Y" catapults and the crane.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:03 am 

Michel, I always use airbrush! I only use normal brush for weathering pratically. Anyway, the trick for me to get the parts nice with airbrush is to get the paint thin enough. I just give a very thinned primary colour and then 1 or 2 coats of the colour (depending of how thin the colour gets). That's my usual procedure and works fine to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:19 pm 
Starling Models
Starling Models

It seems there is a bit of interest in this class just now, Felipe is building York and myself, Michel and Dino Exeter. Is anyone else doing one just now?

mike

http://www.starling-models.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:15 pm 

Also don't forget WEM will be doing a 1/700 one next year

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:37 pm 

Laurence Batchelor wrote:

...too late Laurence! I've just passed the point of no return :heh:

... I remember the same happened with my BTR 152 6x6 armored car, when I finished it the plastic kit become available in the stores !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:41 pm 

Dino Carancini wrote:
Laurence Batchelor wrote:

...too late Laurence! I've just passed the point of no return :heh:

... I remember the same happened with my BTR 152 6x6 armored car, when I finished it the plastic kit become available in the stores !

No problems Dino I see those photos you had were put to fine use, she looks fantastic so far. :thumbs_up_1:

I think in my opinion a 4 turreted Exeter like the sketch designs that appeared for the Royal Navy's cruiser programs in the early 1930s, but were shelved, would have been the best looking heavy cruisers in the world. :yeah:

Last edited by Laurence Batchelor on Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:25 am 

Always about Exeter aircrafts, according with "The Fleet Air Arm In Camera" by Roger Hayward the two Walruses Mk I carried by this ship were K8340, whit the n.769 on the nose and K8557 with n.780, both were from 718 Squadron. They were carried from mid 1937, not sure if she maintained same floatplanes after refit.

One more piece on the Exeter puzzle :eyebrows:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:49 am 

Actually the EX Identification lettering was on A & B turrets

Also Dino I don't think I sent you this before

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 648 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 33  Next