The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 648 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 33  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:53 pm 

A clearer view of what looks like the planking there for you:

Attachments:
Exeter A and B turrets after the battle.jpg
Exeter A and B turrets after the battle.jpg [ 244.25 KiB | Viewed 2704 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:06 pm 

Add a space in the address bar after the link to bypass the 403 hotlinking prohibition.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:19 pm 
SovereignHobbies
SovereignHobbies

Thank you both very much. Now I know for sure. Unfortunately as a modelling exercise it's the worst possible outcome as I now need to render planking on an unplanked piece which looks similar to the rest of the ship. I am thinking a paper template followed by a think plasticard overlay may be the way to go as I can scribe the planking on to that without the barbette and other protrusions obstructing scribing tools and straight edges. Also, if I make a mess of it I can simply start over. So much for an OOB build :whistle:

I have read in a few places now that this kit might be Trumpeter's best yet. That may be true, but that's an unreasonably positive spin on being the least bad.

Planking and boat cradles between davits either side of bridge eliminated:

as per the image above which I have rehosted for ease (but it won't zoom in like the original which works if copied and pasted into browser):

Current build:
HMS Imperial D09 1/350
http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=167151

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:52 pm 

Did the Exeter have her catapult replaced after refit/repair following the Battle of the River Plate? The Osprey New Vanguard British Heavy Cruiser book says it was replaced with a normal rotating one but I can't find any other source that confirms that. The Aoshima 1/700 kit (Battle of Java Sea) has the fixed catapults.

thanks
Mike

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:38 am 

The Osprey book has some flaws. EXETER's unique catapult configuration was retained until her loss. Although photos showing her port side, or from overhead, are rare, one in the Imperial War Museum collection (https://www.iwm.org.uk/ Ref A3555) shows enough detail of the port side to see that the catapult is too low to rotate without fouling other structure or fittings in the area - this can also be seen in some of the several photos showing her starboard side.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:33 pm 

Just a reminder - if you are embedding photos into a CASF thread, please use the function to add a file to the post, so that the photos is part of the permanent record. Otherwise, links to photo hosting sites will eventually break...
Attachment:
Addphoto.JPG
Addphoto.JPG [ 14.21 KiB | Viewed 2599 times ]

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:56 pm 

tjstoneman wrote:
The Osprey book has some flaws. EXETER's unique catapult configuration was retained until her loss. Although photos showing her port side, or from overhead, are rare, one in the Imperial War Museum collection (https://www.iwm.org.uk/ Ref A3555) shows enough detail of the port side to see that the catapult is too low to rotate without fouling other structure or fittings in the area - this can also be seen in some of the several photos showing her starboard side.

Thanks, that explains why it's not mentioned in Friedman's book, or any other books or anything else I can find.

thanks
Mike

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:23 am 

Excellent information, thank you for sharing!

Marco

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:55 am 

I have been checking for metal barrels for the 8" cannons, would these be appropriate? (Out of stock anyway…).

Marco

Attachments:
Brass Barrels for 8 inch guns.jpg
Brass Barrels for 8 inch guns.jpg [ 157.67 KiB | Viewed 2395 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:16 pm 

Yeah, noticed that, but HMS Norfolk mounted MKVIII (not MkVII) 8" 50 Cal. cannons. Could it be a printing mistake?

Marco

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:06 pm 

That is what I think. Out of stock anyway, HA!

Marco

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:51 pm 

Just finishing the Trumpeter 1/350 HMS Exeter. I admit that I am more interested in "looks" rather than absolute accuracy so any comments I make should bare this in mind.

First and perhaps most importantly the kit os of the ship prior to its refit (single 4in and pole masts).

Hull is one piece with very nice plating detail.

Deck is in two pieces one for each level. Planking is nicely done and the molded on locators for the superstructure are fine and provide good fit.

Superstructure decks are in one piece thereby avoiding join lines (unfortunately the funnels are in split therefore clean up is necessary). Very crisp detail (doors, vents) on the bulkheads. Bridge nicely molded with open windows and wind breaks on front of bridge. Nicely molded rangefinders

Turrets are well shaped in one main section plus separate port and starboard local rangefinders . Individual 8" barrels are molded drilled out.
4" guns in 2 pieces and a bit simple but OK. The quad machine guns are quite finely detailed.

Pole masts are nicely molded but a bit fine and therefore flex dyring rigging. Similar problem with yardarms although nicely tapered (I left the plastic masts because of the molding but replaced the yardarms with brass rod).

2 Walrius (clear plastic) supplied. Catapults are plastic but not bad. The crane is plastic and PE and very nice.

Coprehensive PE set including pre-measured railiings for main and upper decks, vertical and angled ladders, aircraft crane and funnel caps.

Overall IMHO a very nice kit that builds into an early HMS Exeter. I'm sure that it would be faily easy to convert to a post refit version (if Trumpy or AM don't do it first)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:13 pm 

:woo_hoo: You finished already!!!! Thank you for the summary! I will start mine when I finish the Graf Spee…

Marco

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:54 am 
SovereignHobbies
SovereignHobbies

The planking pattern is different fore and aft. The forward deck section has an alternating pattern. The aft piece has continuous "planks" running half the length of the ship every other row.

Current build:
HMS Imperial D09 1/350

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:59 am 

And where do you find that super-detailed information guys??? Man, I can only scratch the surface with the material I´ve got!

Marco

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:30 am 

I received yesterday the Profile Morskie including blueprint foldout for HMS Exeter, and Trumpeter must have taken some ideas from them because the blueprints show the deck around B turret shows no planking (nor do they show in their drawings the dark areas around the boats on each side of the bridge). But the blueprints look good otherwise, most of the picture in the booklet are available in the internet, though.

Marco

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:54 am 

SovereignHobbies wrote:
Planking and boat cradles between davits either side of bridge eliminated:

Hi James, thanks for paving the way! I started also on this little mod, and found this high oblique picture as well:
Attachment:
HMS_Exeter_(68)_at_anchor_in_Balboa_harbor_on_24_April_1934-DETAIL.jpg
HMS_Exeter_(68)_at_anchor_in_Balboa_harbor_on_24_April_1934-DETAIL.jpg [ 136.89 KiB | Viewed 3051 times ]

When looking at it I realised: there is a passage underneath the shelter deck! This is entirely missing in the Trumpy kit. The forward wall of this passage aligns with the forward edge of the unplanked deck area. Also, the deck passages along the foot of the bridge superstructure are much too narrow, so there needs to be done some mods on this part as well.

I'm going to look now how this shelter deck can be partially planked, using the appropriate Evergreen pre-scribed plate stock. I'll post the result.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:14 pm 

Maarten Schönfeld wrote:
I'm going to look now how this shelter deck can be partially planked, using the appropriate Evergreen pre-scribed plate stock. I'll post the result.
Attachment:
IMAG2390red.jpg
IMAG2390red.jpg [ 178.58 KiB | Viewed 3025 times ]

And this is the result. I used Evergreen 2025 V-Groove plate, with grooves at .025" spacing, very close to the rest of the decks.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:34 pm 
SovereignHobbies
SovereignHobbies

Damn. That rather good photograph is new to me and I missed that passage. I wonder if I can sort that. It may do more harm than good trying now :/

Current build:
HMS Imperial D09 1/350

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:36 am 

SovereignHobbies wrote:
Damn. That rather good photograph is new to me and I missed that passage. I wonder if I can sort that. It may do more harm than good trying now :/

Hi Bill,

'He that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.' The high oblique photo is a clipping of the very good picture in Wikipedia of Exeter at anchor in 1934. It was so to say 'under our noses.'

On drawings I only found it back on the deck plans of HMS York, but then it wasn't covered, as the superstructure of York was smaller in footprint. But maybe there are other drawings too.

In the Gallery is this build from David Hogue, he did a great job on the ISW resin kit. I think he did a lot of research for us, look at all scratch improvements he did. But he also missed that passage.
http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery/ca/hms/Exeter-350-dh/index.htm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 648 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 33  Next