The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 648 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 33  Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:46 am 

Laurence/Filipe,

Many thanks,

Dick

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:14 pm 

and another one, note far left in the distance:

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/6/1/1940009/HMS%20York%20damaged%20at%20Crete%20May%201941%20far%20left.bmp

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:28 pm 

I went looking for more photos of Barham, for the other CASF thread and low and behold I found this great shot taken on board Exeter showing her catapult clearly from a different perspective than I have showed before. It was a shame I didn't locate this for you earlier ar ref. Exeter plans, however hopefully anyone building her in this configuration and also Mad Pete will find it useful:

Enjoy chaps!
Regards
Laurence

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:33 pm 

Nice photo indeed. Obviously a pre-war photo for the type of plane carried. Any ideas who's the County class following Exeter???

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:32 pm 

Identity of the County class coming up astern, sadly isn't given.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:10 pm 
Starling Models
Starling Models

Interesting photo, should be an Exeter turning up in the gallery any day now?

Mike

http://www.starling-models.co.uk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:03 pm 

mike mccabe wrote:
Interesting photo, should be an Exeter turning up in the gallery any day now?

Your Exeter I presume :big_grin: . Mine is still inside the box barely touched and with little or no will to pick on it even more knowing that Tamiya might release a brand new mold of her. How hard was the building of the old Matchbox one after all????

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:14 pm 
Starling Models
Starling Models

Your Exeter I presume :big_grin: . Mine is still inside the box barely touched and with little or no will to pick on it even more knowing that Tamiya might release a brand new mold of her. How hard was the building of the old Matchbox one after all????[/quote]

My Exeter used only the hull, even then it wasn't right, bridge - needed a lot of work, and turrets - they were ok, I put up with them. The rest was all scratchbuilt, so probably worth the wait to see if she comes out, though my guess would be if Tamiya should release an Exeter, it will be a post River Plate refit not the pre River Plate fit of the Matchbox. Depends how much you want an early Exeter and enjoy a challenge.

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:36 pm 

I expect also two resin manufacturers to likely to produce Exeter kits.
One in 1/700 and one in 1/350, the later reached master stage. Both companies received the necessary reference material a long time back.
The kits would more likely be pre-1940 refit i.e. December 1939, although a 1942 version particularly from the 1/350 producer cannot be ruled out as it may be more commercial for Americans to want to depict Exeter at her time of loss.

However, I am not allowed to share the post Devonport refit plans, of which there are only 3 copies in existence.
If they want to do a post-1940 kit they would need to send Alan Raven a letter expressly seeking his permission and compensate him for his hard work.
If using the photos supplied, mistakes could creep into the said kits if desiring to depict her as per 1942 unless you obtain the above.

I also noticed your Exeter Mike, on the finescalemodeler website.
Very nice work indeed from the Matchbox kit.

P.S. Thank god for Tim Cahill!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:07 pm 
Starling Models
Starling Models

Laurence Batchelor wrote:

P.S. Thank god for Tim Cahill!

He would just thank himself, he is god. Tonight anyway

Despite the hard work with the Matchbox build, it would be great to see a few more models of this handsome ship in the near future.

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:25 pm 

I'm new to this forum and am hoping for some help.

I'm looking for good HMS Exeter drawings, preferably River Plate version, (just watched the 1956 movie!). The only ones I've found so far are the Warship Profile, and David Metcalf's from the Model Boat plans service. I'm considering a large-ish R/C version.
Is the Metcalf drawing worth getting? (I got his Invincible drawing some years ago and ended up going with the A&A drawing instead.) Are there others? I understand that Alan Raven may be a member of this forum. Does he sell plans?
Thanks for any help.

Martin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:09 pm 

Thanks David - lots of good stuff there.

Thanks also to Peppe and Mike for the help they have offered. All bits of information on the Battle of the River Plate version greatly appreciated.

Martin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:25 pm 

Martin,

I got that plan (1/192) with the eventual aim of using it to guide a 1/700th Matchbox kit conversion to the post River Plate configuration as that is the version the plan covers. It is fairly basic with a profile and elevation and hull sections and basic lines and some extra drawings for boats and crane but would require a fair bit of guesswork/interpretation to complete. For RC I presume you would work at 1/96th or larger so it would need enlarging quite a bit to say the least and it would be short on detail.

There used to be in a long closed model shop in Exeter itself a large (8-10 foot long) model of the ship in pre-war configuration that presumably is still around somewhere. It might be worth asking on Model Boats site and perhaps at the Child -Beale museum if any more is known about that model now - were you thinking that big? I suspect the builder used NMM plans.

From memory there also used to be a 1/200th card model that might provide a reasonable basis - Marcle models http://www.marcle.clara.net/ might be able to advise if it can still be sourced.

Good luck

Francis Macnaughton

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:03 am 

effectively it is a card model of the exter 1:200, is the polish GPM 36 but is in 1941 "dressing"
i have a electronic version in pdf but is very heavy around 8 mega.
ciao peppe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:27 pm 

one more cardmodel but same 1941mod you can find at
http://www.only-paper.ru/news/2008-04-05-880
is in russian and you can download from letitbit.net doing same surfing
ciao peppe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:55 pm 

I think it will be 1/128 scale to take advantage of the County class fittings from Fleetscale. Thanks for the leads on the large model Francis. I'll try over at Model Boats and Modelboatmayhem.

Martin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:11 am 

Gents,

A newbie here. :wave_1:

First, as way of introduction, I have a long, well relatively speaking, and close association with HMS Exeter and some of her remaining survivors (from Java Sea action) so was very interested to read this thread. Great stuff! However I notice some of the links (to photos, etc) in various posts do not appear to work. Is this because they have ‘expired’ as it were?

I must say I wish I had stumbled on this discussion, specifically re the catapults, some months ago, as have been liaising with an artist over past six months who is working on a painting :cool_2: of her depicting the action just moments before the fatal 8” hit to 'A' Boiler Room on March 1st, and this cat question had been a sticking point for a while, but eventually we got it sorted.

Second, I notice some folks would like a copy of Exeter’s plans ‘as built’? No problem, I have them (originals) as PDF's or jpg's, but what is the protocol here? Can I post them for all? What is the image size (bytes) that can be posted here, etc?

Alternately if that is not possible, then if someone cares to PM me I will send direct, but of course would just as soon post here rather than send multiple individual emails. :smallsmile:

Regards,
Kevin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:52 am 

Many of the images earlier in this thread have probably been deleted or removed from whereever they were hosted - you might have some luck contacting the poster of the pictures, as they probably still have a copy with them.

As for image sizes, if you are trying to post plans (ie. large size and dimensions), the best way to go about it would be to host them on a dedicated picture hosting site such as www.tinypic.com and then posting the link to the image here. Our photo attachment tool only supports images of no more than 150kb in size.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:08 pm 

Welcome aboard Kevin,

The chaps here have a keen interest for both ships of the class being Exeter the favourite one due to her actions during WWII. I've built York myself a few years ago in her late version. Also I have the old Matchbox model to build yet I'm holding my breath for a while and see if the Tamiya rumour that they are releasing a brand new model of the cruiser comes true.
Best regards,

Filipe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:03 pm 

Gents,

Given the wealth of expertise here maybe someone can answer this question.

The attached painting shows Exeter just after arrival back to UK from Falklands with Winston walking up gangway, painted by a chap called Cundall (his first name eludes me now), but a well respected artist of the time I am told.

Now another artist friend of mine (as opposed to the one I mention in my previous post) was hoping to do another painting of her - circa Graf Spee battle - prior to the 70th anniversary later this year, and he was wondering if there is any truth to Cundall's depiction of the yellow/mustard coloured funnels he shows, or was it just artistic license on Cundall’s part (which if so seems odd for a person of his caliber not to depict her accurately).

Any help appreciated as so far artist has not been able to definitively confirm or deny funnel colour.

TIA.

Kevin

Attachments:
Cundall-Exeter copy.jpg
Cundall-Exeter copy.jpg [ 104.23 KiB | Viewed 3864 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 648 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 33  Next