The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:29 am 

new Super-Detail set for the Trumpeter ' Zara Class ' ( 1/350 )

note - link to Shipyard Models website , with much more detail of the Super PE Detail set
( which has chain , paint mask and a wooden deck
http://www.shipyardworks.com/content.ph ... =64&id=348 _ _ )

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:34 am 
Hello, guys. I hope you all are well. I have two questions
    — Does anyone have a picture of Pola's superstructure somehow from the top? I want to have a look at how the forward funnel and superstructure connect? Unfortunately, the Polish book with blueprints is unavailable for purchase
    — Is the forward funnel actually detached from the superstructure? I see many modellers make it as if the funnel cowling and the superstructure are the same metal sheets. I guess from the photos that superstructure sheets are separate and they only seem to be a single structure because of that long vertical ladder. Note that notch on the rear top corner of the superstructure - it is higher than the black top of the funnel

PS I am back to scale modeling after like 25 years and decided to start with something simple (or so I thought). So it's HobbyBoss Pola. Well... I used to be kind of messy and unattentive to detailing but now, unfortunately, I turned into obsessive (but still messy) semi perfectionist. Two weeks into it and still cannot show anything fully assembled as it requires too much rework. Turrets, superstructure, etc.: it all needs improvement.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:59 am 

AdrianoMarelli wrote:
Hello, guys. I hope you all are well. I have two questions
    — Does anyone have a picture of Pola's superstructure somehow from the top? I want to have a look at how the forward funnel and superstructure connect? Unfortunately, the Polish book with blueprints is unavailable for purchase
    — Is the forward funnel actually detached from the superstructure? I see many modellers make it as if the funnel cowling and the superstructure are the same metal sheets. I guess from the photos that superstructure sheets are separate and they only seem to be a single structure because of that long vertical ladder. Note that notch on the rear top corner of the superstructure - it is higher than the black top of the funnel

PS I am back to scale modeling after like 25 years and decided to start with something simple (or so I thought). So it's HobbyBoss Pola. Well... I used to be kind of messy and unattentive to detailing but now, unfortunately, I turned into obsessive (but still messy) semi perfectionist. Two weeks into it and still cannot show anything fully assembled as it requires too much rework. Turrets, superstructure, etc.: it all needs improvement.

Yes, it is a very messy kit indeed, one of the worst choices you could make to start modelling again! However, when you have good plans there is a lot of improvement possible. Best reference is Warship Pictorial with some detailed drawings: https://www.bismarck-class.dk/miscellaneous/book_reviews/classic_warships/classic_warships_wp_23_italian_h_cruisers_book_review.html

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:59 pm 

Maarten Schönfeld wrote:
Yes, it is a very messy kit indeed, one of the worst choices you could make to start modelling again! However, when you have good plans there is a lot of improvement possible. Best reference is Warship Pictorial with some detailed drawings: https://www.bismarck-class.dk/miscellaneous/book_reviews/classic_warships/classic_warships_wp_23_italian_h_cruisers_book_review.html

Thank you very much for the link.
I wish I found this forum and Ramaja's thread about his toils with HobbyBoss kit. But what done is done. I was foolishly hoping to finish it in a month but now it seems like about 4+ :big_grin:

P.S. Speaking of superstructure, I found a nice video of Pola's launch. There is no ladder and there is clearly a line between funnel and superstructure.
https://youtu.be/7YfpM6JdLUc?t=177

Last edited by Timmy C on Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
embedded video

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:38 pm 

Lovely 1/200 PAPER Zara posted to the Gallery today!
http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... /index.htm

Special Navy U-Boot Type XXIII 1:72
Revell DKM Bismarck 1:350
Tauro RN Fiume, Pola, Zara, Gorizia 1:400
Heller DKM Admiral Scheer 1:400
Revell DKM Schnellboot S-100 1:72

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 8:28 pm 

Hi everyone, well after doing a long stretch of German cruisers and capital ships I figure it’s time to take on a different navy. Since Trumpeter came out with the Zara class heavy cruisers and I already did the Pola, twice, and they released two more from the class I figured why not. I had purchased the Zara some time ago but I was a little irritated with the kit, don’t get me wrong it’s well detailed and a far cry from the original Pola, there was one thing wrong, well two really that bothered me.

1. The aircraft hangar cover on the fore deck is the wrong size and shape.
2. And this is the big one, on the box art they show the Zara but in the kit they don’t include the enclosed structure above the bridge, this detail is the one thing that is unique to the Zara.

Some time later they released the Fiume, but looking at details of the kit Online I couldn’t understand why this ship is priced higher than the Zara since they are essentially the same, so I went ahead and got another Zara. I figure I can make any minor changes that make the ships different from each other.

Ok, so I think I bit off a little much on this one, after doing a little more research and finding a copy of the Fiume instructions on line they have a lot more differences than I thought so looks like I’m going to have to get the Fiume after all. Now what to do with my second Zara???

Attachments:
File comment: I’m going to try and build these at the same time!
DBD66C29-6577-48DD-84D2-2BF366FA3EAA.jpeg
DBD66C29-6577-48DD-84D2-2BF366FA3EAA.jpeg [ 101.96 KiB | Viewed 4306 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:21 am 

Greetings to all of you and best wishes in these troubled times.

It has been many years since I built my 1/350 Roma. I still remember the delight in using paints that came from Italy and having authentic colors to work with. Several members of this group helped me with that project, and I thank you once again for your support.

So now it is time for me to build what may be my last 1/350 ever. And it will be either the Pola or the Zara. I've had the Pola kit in my stash for many years and have done all the research I need to do to correct the kit problems.
In looking at my materials, though, I have found some drawings from a reputable source that show both the Zara and Pola lower hulls in red. I dearly love the Verde Scuro Antivegitativo. :cry_3:

It's against my nature but I am tempted to do a green hull, even if red is correct. :-?

Rather than read through 14 years of comments I decided to be lazy and ask your opinions here on whether or not I should do red or green. Please advise.

Thanks in advance,
Chuck

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:38 am 

Hi all,
Were the boats on the stern motorized or were they powered by oars?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:49 pm 

Another question:

Did Zara or Pola have leadsman's platforms up on the bow and/or midships? I can't find any photos that show them in place, nor in any drawings of either ship.
The reason I ask is that the new Trumpeter Zara kit has them molded into the hull. A bit undersized, maybe, but they look decent.

TIA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:52 am 
Regia Marina
Regia Marina

Chuck Bauer wrote:
Another question:

Did Zara or Pola have leadsman's platforms up on the bow and/or midships? I can't find any photos that show them in place, nor in any drawings of either ship.
The reason I ask is that the new Trumpeter Zara kit has them molded into the hull. A bit undersized, maybe, but they look decent.

TIA

Ciao Charles,

They were removable and were removed during the war .

Good sunday
Giampiero

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:54 am 
Regia Marina
Regia Marina

Chuck Bauer wrote:
Hi all,
Were the boats on the stern motorized or were they powered by oars?

Ciao Charles,

The boata on the stern has oars

Good sunday
Giampiero

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:24 am 

Thank you very much for this information, Giampiero.

Best regards,
Chuck

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:10 am 

Chuck,

Leadsman's platforms often were portable - they could be removed and stowed when not needed. Sometimes they were permanently attached but hinged to fold up when coming alongside a pier or another ship, or in heavy weather.

Heavy seas are not kind to things hanging off the sides of ships. On one cruise we were in five typhoons and a tropical storm in three weeks. When we finally got back to port several "permanent" fixtures were missing from the forward part of the ship!

Are they leadsman's platforms or platforms for side ladders?

Phil

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:00 am 

Thanks for this reply Phil,

I have recently heard from other people who say the same thing, that they were hinged and/or removable.

On this particular kit there are two way up on the bow near the anchor races, and two midships--on each side of the ship. The accommodation ladders are in different locations.

With your reply, and Giampiero's, I think I am set.

Thank you both for your responses,
Chuck

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:45 am 

One question today, please....

On the top wing of the IMAM RO-43 there is something shaped like a cylinder. Anybody know what this is?

Thanks in advance,
Chuck

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:55 am 

Chuck Bauer wrote:
One question today, please....

On the top wing of the IMAM RO-43 there is something shaped like a cylinder. Anybody know what this is?

Thanks in advance,
Chuck
Attachment:
Inked057da1854e36bf2fb5e3cff811c0ac6c_LI2.jpg
Inked057da1854e36bf2fb5e3cff811c0ac6c_LI2.jpg [ 52.84 KiB | Viewed 3156 times ]

I think you mean this, Chuck? To me it seems a windmill elctrical generator. Very common in the thirties and early forties.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:42 am 

Yes that's it. I have a photo which shows it open on the forward end; that would make sense if there is a turbine in there.
Thanks Maarten.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:47 am 

Hi,
Here are two of the Zara class sisters I’ve worked on so far, I have the Fiume but haven’t started her yet.

I did posts for both ships on my profile if any of this can help you.

Tom
Imagination is more important
Than knowledge, it is the most
important thing in your life!
Einstein

Attachments:
File comment: This is my 1/350 Zara from Trumpeter, I had to make some corrections to the kit as the structure above the bridge was not in closed, it showed it correctly on the box art but wasn’t included in the kit.
67D5CED1-629D-4BCA-9BB6-0345D3F88274.jpeg
67D5CED1-629D-4BCA-9BB6-0345D3F88274.jpeg [ 89.86 KiB | Viewed 3048 times ]
File comment: This is my second build of the Pola 1/350 also from Trumpeter, this kit required extensive correction and a lot of scratch built parts, was quite the challenge, I have her hull red as there was quite a bit of debate on other forums but some ship yards in Italy at the time did the red and some did the green.
AC9AFCD9-A030-4BA8-BB26-74F3945CC5BB.jpeg
AC9AFCD9-A030-4BA8-BB26-74F3945CC5BB.jpeg [ 89.99 KiB | Viewed 3048 times ]
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 8:16 am 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Really inspiring work, Tom! I have the Pola kit and will be referring to yours for help frequently.

-----

Can anyone help with identifying the turret mottos of the various ships of the class? For example,

Zara's turret 4 had "TENACEMENTE" ("Tenaciously" in English) emblazoned on the sides.
Pola's turret 3 had "ARDISCO AD OGNI IMPRESA" ("I dare to every undertaking", or "Courage in every undertaking" in English)

Please help with any others.

Attachments:
italian-cruiser-zara-1931-RTF9HP.jpg
italian-cruiser-zara-1931-RTF9HP.jpg [ 141.84 KiB | Viewed 2283 times ]
AdGmFNp.jpg
AdGmFNp.jpg [ 32.05 KiB | Viewed 2283 times ]
100588880_2772376706223238_9175595692532432896_n.jpg
100588880_2772376706223238_9175595692532432896_n.jpg [ 17.18 KiB | Viewed 2283 times ]

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:01 am 

Build Mon$ter wrote:
Hi,
Here are two of the Zara class sisters I’ve worked on so far, I have the Fiume but haven’t started her yet.

I did posts for both ships on my profile if any of this can help you.

Tom
Imagination is more important
Than knowledge, it is the most
important thing in your life!
Einstein

The models look really nice. I wonder if you did the research on Pola's forward superstructure – how is the compartment's roof fitted to the funnel? I am rather a new guy so I cannot find the link to the model to look at more photos))) Also, I would like to know if you checked the funnel tops with the blueprints. I used online and inbox manual drawings to compare sizes and guessed that the funnel tops from the kit are 1/400, not 1/350.

Stopped my Pola project last year because of moving to another house, then due to family troubles, then due to renovation of the room that I do myself (so much modeling there))) But as the completion nears, I plan to restart the project.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next