The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:02 am 

Some suggestions I hope can help:
THIS is a good place to start for serious RM Cruiser builders.
Don't fix on plans or drawings too much: RM cruisers seem to be changing on daily base instead of by major re hauling steps, which means you almost always can see difference in pics from the same ship: chose a year and try to build the ship as close as you can.
For PE, there are some good gun barrel out there in 1/350, and if you can get your hands on Trumpeteer Roma 1/350 you can get a lot of RM stuff (I made some resin casting for Searching lights, winches etc.
The Trumpeteer PE set for the Roma is not expensive and has pretty generic stuff inside: since the propeller of the Roma are wrong, you can use the PE on on the battleship and recicle the plastic one for the Cruiser (which BTW, seems to be quite correct for the use). The railings for the Roma are the same on the cruisers (pretty standard stuff) and you can get some generic 1/700 PE railings for minor walking lines on the funnels etc.
HERE is my building project for Hobby Boss Pola 1/350.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:28 pm 

Hi Ramaja,

Now I'm working too in a Pola basing myself partialy in your excellent research. Comparing with some pictures and drawings I have, I agree with you in various aspects, including the kit general measurement.

Here are some pictures from my work.

Today I'm working in a new Ro.43 plane for the ship:

I have a question for you, I erased all wrong watertight doors from the kit and I'd like to know what's the better PE doors for this ship.

Best Regards,

Ricardo

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 1:28 pm 

Great Work!
Sorry for not having answered you but I get no notification about reply on this forum so I just saw your post.
You are doing fine, avoiding the try and redo process I have been through and you building seems cleaner then mine.
My only critic is about the position for the slopes for anchor's chains: they should be wider and a bit further back form the ship's bow. It seems you have kept the kit's original kit but it not hard to carve out new ones.
By the way, do something for those horrible anti roll wings: it's an easy mod and totally worth the effort! ;)
About the Ro-37, I'm going to get THIS I'm buying a couple for Pola and Roma as soon as I have the big picture of all the stuff I'd need from Giampiero's Site.
If you, like me are building a 1940 Pola, how do you plan to scratchbuild the two 120/15 starlight guns? I'm trying but I'm running out of ideas... :scratch:

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:25 pm 

Ramaja wrote:
Great Work!
Sorry for not having answered you but I get no notification about reply on this forum so I just saw your post.
You are doing fine, avoiding the try and redo process I have been through and you building seems cleaner then mine.
My only critic is about the position for the slopes for anchor's chains: they should be wider and a bit further back form the ship's bow. It seems you have kept the kit's original kit but it not hard to carve out new ones.
By the way, do something for those horrible anti roll wings: it's an easy mod and totally worth the effort! ;)
About the Ro-37, I'm going to get THIS I'm buying a couple for Pola and Roma as soon as I have the big picture of all the stuff I'd need from Giampiero's Site.
If you, like me are building a 1940 Pola, how do you plan to scratchbuild the two 120/15 starlight guns? I'm trying but I'm running out of ideas... :scratch:

Hi Ramaja,

Nice to have your opinion about my work. :thumbs_up_1:

You're correct about the position for the slopes for anchor's chains. I don't do it until now because I think it will be more easy to do when the front deck will be glued on it's place. I'm waiting to put some fittings on front deck before glue it on place. When I'll work on these slopes for anchor's chains I'll base me on somethings like this snapshot from Luce film:

You're correct about anti roll wings too, they are terribles. But, I don't finnished my work at this kit hull, Im working on ship parts in conformity I'm having new ideas for the work. And as you I'll work at rudder and propeller axle's bases and mountings too, basing me in others snapshots from Luce film I have.

Yes, I'm representing this Pola in 1940/41 configuration too, and I don't have think soo much about this guns until now. I'm thinking you're talking about these guns that was placed here:

I'd like to have some gun pictures to have a better idea about it. I don't remember I have another gun with similar profile to use as start point. I think I'll use some rod pieces with the correct diameter to do the gun tube and other parts will be needed to be carved from sprue and plastcard pieces.

I found some pictures and drawings from the OBICE ILLUMINANTE DA 120/15 on the net (including your post at Regia Marina Forum), and seems to me it's not so much difficult to do something similar in this scale, considering some little details are near impossible to do.

Very nice this Ro.37 from Giampiero's Site. :thumbs_up_1:You're correct i'll purchase a pair from Giampiero's for Pola and Roma too, because they are so much better than something I can scratch build here.

Please, I'd like to know the other itens from Giampero's you have intention to purchase for this project. I'm not soo much experienced about acessories disponibles for italian ships on market.

Best Regards,

Ricardo

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 5:45 pm 

I wrote a mail today to Giampiero asking for suitable photo etching I could use for ladders and stairs. Unfortunately there is very little available for the Pola in 1/35O: just main and secondary gun rifle and a wooden deck which is unusable because the kit shape is too short and the Wooden deck replace it exactly.
I asked Giampiero the cost for Crews, the Ro-37 and possible generic photo etching.
For railing I intend to use a Trumpeter Set I bought for the RN Roma because I found a better one for that.
I suggest you to start with this
it contains propellers ang metal guns for the battleship but the rest can be used on the Pola. If you have the battleship in the stash you can use the new propellers on that ship and use the three bladed battleship propellers on the cruiser which are about right and better then what is in the Hobby Boss box.
I also cast new secondary gun shields in resin from a heavily modded Kit shiled and did the same with the main gun turrets
You can contact Giampiero via PM on this same site: tell him you have talked with me and tell him you have my same problems; may be he can offer you other solutions I don't know about.

Keep me informed on how your Pola proceed. :)

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:24 pm 

Hi Ramaja,

I e-mailed Giampero today asking for Ro-37 cost with shiping for Brazil and I'm waiting for his reply. Very good your sugestion to use the Trumpeter Roma's set to enhance Pola, I dont had the idea it was usable for it. I'm thinking to purchase Flyhawk set to my Roma or wait the future Pontos set for it.

Today I have the Pola guns set from Aber and I'm purchasing a generic wood deck from Artwox. I agree with you, after corrections the especific Artwox deck for Pola is unusable.

Now my main acessory problem for Pola are the watertight doors. I erased all doors from bridge because they looks terrible for me, but I'm not sure what's the better door set for this ship. Have you any sugestion for it?

I'll create soon a topic for my Pola at "Works in Progress" area and I'll contact you about some news in my kit.

Best Regards,

Ricardo

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 8:16 am 
Regia Marina
Regia Marina

To half may will available set mtg 37/54 mm twin , you can use also barrels 37 mm Aber

Ciao
Giampiero

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 6:33 pm 

Giampiero has some fine waterthight doors and I plan to get some round windows for the central hull: if you look at good quality images of Zara class ship you can see they are pretty evident. These are pretty generic stuff in 1/350 so whatever photoetched set will do. If you just need rails and are not interested in propellers and guns you could skip the trumpeter set and just get a Regia Marina one which has ladders and step ladders in it. I think it comes even cheaper

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:29 am 

Hi Giampiero and Ramaja,

Thank you for your reply. I'll consider to purchase both opitions, Trumpeter set and rail set from Giampiero. I have the Roma too and I think parts from both sets will be usefull for Pola and Roma. I'll consider too other sets Giampiero is offering to me because I think they will be usefull in some corrections I'm needing. This weekend my internet access failed at home, but as soon as it will be fixed I'll create the topic with my Pola.

Best Regards,

Ricardo

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:10 pm 

Hi Ramaja,

I create a topic here , explaining each detail I'm doing on my Pola. Time to time I'll atualize it with the new progress.

Best Regards,

Ricardo

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:38 am 
Much earlier on this thread there was a question about the availability of the large life rafts that are such a distinctive feature of these ships. But, did not see an answer. I wonder (several years later) if there would be something "close enough" for the 1/350 Hobby Boss (I know it is a crude kit) kit or the 1/400 ones? Perhaps L'Arsenal or WEM that might be close in 1/350? Or maybe a medium size 1/350 raft that would work for 1/400?

Any help would be much appreciated!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:02 am 

Some pictures and film references from Zara Class ships:

- From Cinecittá Luce

http://camera.archivioluce.com/camera-s ... la&x=0&y=0

- From Archivio Centrale dello Stato

http://dati.acs.beniculturali.it/SecondaGuerraMondiale/

Youtube links from Luce Films for Reference

Pola:

. Livorno SM il Re ed i Reali Principi assistono al varo della RN Pola

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHY4-p6jiAk

. La consegna della Bandiera di Combattimento all'incrociatore Pola

http://youtu.be/Uq2-1Lzg3WI

. Le grandi manovre navali nel Golfo di Gaeta

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8w6ELIQLOA

. L'Italia sul mare fase conclusiva delle esercitazioni a Gaeta

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISZr1vEPFvM

. 1938 Le Manovre Navali di Napoli

Part 1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENo8I6LiMHs
Part 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT5SnvBayxM

Gorizia

. A Livorno il varo dell'incrociatore 'Gorizia'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmrh-sBr3Uw

. La consegna della bandiera di Combattimento all'incrociatore Gorizia

http://youtu.be/4XMo40YXGUY

Fiume

. A Trieste il varo dell'incrociatore Fiume e la messa in cantiere del Superconte

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND_a7RkIDRE

Zara

. Varo Incrociatore Zara

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4pePoxJXD4

. La consegna della bandiera all'incrociatore Zara

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKCV088gh0k

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:49 am 

Question here for the Regia Marina experts: Did any members of the Zara class ever make a port call to Venice before or during World War 2?

Again, I'm asking because I'm looking at possibly purchasing Loose Cannon's 1/700 Venice diorama set and just wanted to know which Italian capital ships ever made a port call there.

Poseidon's 1/700 Fiume and Zara kits seem to be more available on Ebay nowadays, which gave me the idea of an including one of these cruisers in a Venice scene.

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:53 am 
Regia Marina
Regia Marina

Ciao ,

Yes , the photo Zara and Fiume to Venice

Ciao Giampiero

Zara

Fiume

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:57 am 

Grazie Giampero! Thank you!

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:28 am 

Giampiero,

I assume both those pics of Zara and Fiume are from before the war?

Still, did either ship visit Venice when they had air recognition stripes or camouflage?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:12 am 
Regia Marina
Regia Marina

Ciao,

Yes Before war 1933

(Still, did either ship visit Venice when they had air recognition stripes or camouflage?)

not during the war

Ciao Giampiero

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or ... b97ace.jpg

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:58 pm 
Regia Marina
Regia Marina

Preview kit Trumpeter Italian Heavy Cruiser Kit Zara 1/350.

http://www.trumpeter-china.com/index.ph ... =2984&l=en

Ciao Giampiero

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:00 pm 

warspite63 wrote:
Ummm.....the upper 2 shots appear to be either USS Pensacola or USS Salt Lake City. Can't help you narrow down the third one.

I'd say it's USS Chicago due to the armored rangefinder on the aft turret. It's definitely a Northhampton class cruiser not a Pensacola.

“Oh”

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:45 pm 

Agree--it is definitely CHICAGO, and no other.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next