The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Mon May 25, 2020 4:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:29 am 

new Super-Detail set for the Trumpeter ' Zara Class ' ( 1/350 )

note - link to Shipyard Models website , with much more detail of the Super PE Detail set
( which has chain , paint mask and a wooden deck
http://www.shipyardworks.com/content.ph ... =64&id=348 _ _ )

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:34 am 
Hello, guys. I hope you all are well. I have two questions
    — Does anyone have a picture of Pola's superstructure somehow from the top? I want to have a look at how the forward funnel and superstructure connect? Unfortunately, the Polish book with blueprints is unavailable for purchase
    — Is the forward funnel actually detached from the superstructure? I see many modellers make it as if the funnel cowling and the superstructure are the same metal sheets. I guess from the photos that superstructure sheets are separate and they only seem to be a single structure because of that long vertical ladder. Note that notch on the rear top corner of the superstructure - it is higher than the black top of the funnel

PS I am back to scale modeling after like 25 years and decided to start with something simple (or so I thought). So it's HobbyBoss Pola. Well... I used to be kind of messy and unattentive to detailing but now, unfortunately, I turned into obsessive (but still messy) semi perfectionist. Two weeks into it and still cannot show anything fully assembled as it requires too much rework. Turrets, superstructure, etc.: it all needs improvement.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:39 pm 

would the Zara plans work?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:59 am 

AdrianoMarelli wrote:
Hello, guys. I hope you all are well. I have two questions
    — Does anyone have a picture of Pola's superstructure somehow from the top? I want to have a look at how the forward funnel and superstructure connect? Unfortunately, the Polish book with blueprints is unavailable for purchase
    — Is the forward funnel actually detached from the superstructure? I see many modellers make it as if the funnel cowling and the superstructure are the same metal sheets. I guess from the photos that superstructure sheets are separate and they only seem to be a single structure because of that long vertical ladder. Note that notch on the rear top corner of the superstructure - it is higher than the black top of the funnel

PS I am back to scale modeling after like 25 years and decided to start with something simple (or so I thought). So it's HobbyBoss Pola. Well... I used to be kind of messy and unattentive to detailing but now, unfortunately, I turned into obsessive (but still messy) semi perfectionist. Two weeks into it and still cannot show anything fully assembled as it requires too much rework. Turrets, superstructure, etc.: it all needs improvement.

Yes, it is a very messy kit indeed, one of the worst choices you could make to start modelling again! However, when you have good plans there is a lot of improvement possible. Best reference is Warship Pictorial with some detailed drawings: https://www.bismarck-class.dk/miscellaneous/book_reviews/classic_warships/classic_warships_wp_23_italian_h_cruisers_book_review.html

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:59 pm 

Maarten Schönfeld wrote:
Yes, it is a very messy kit indeed, one of the worst choices you could make to start modelling again! However, when you have good plans there is a lot of improvement possible. Best reference is Warship Pictorial with some detailed drawings: https://www.bismarck-class.dk/miscellaneous/book_reviews/classic_warships/classic_warships_wp_23_italian_h_cruisers_book_review.html

Thank you very much for the link.
I wish I found this forum and Ramaja's thread about his toils with HobbyBoss kit. But what done is done. I was foolishly hoping to finish it in a month but now it seems like about 4+ :big_grin:

P.S. Speaking of superstructure, I found a nice video of Pola's launch. There is no ladder and there is clearly a line between funnel and superstructure.
https://youtu.be/7YfpM6JdLUc?t=177

Last edited by Timmy C on Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
embedded video

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:38 pm 

Lovely 1/200 PAPER Zara posted to the Gallery today!
http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... /index.htm

Special Navy U-Boot Type XXIII 1:72
Revell DKM Bismarck 1:350
Tauro RN Fiume, Pola, Zara, Gorizia 1:400
Heller DKM Admiral Scheer 1:400
Revell DKM Schnellboot S-100 1:72

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6