The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:47 am 

The short answer is yes. Differences are in some minor details. Can't remember if I posted this before. And, I'm sure Mucho can elaborate.

Attachments:
Kinugasa vs Aoba details, MS # 36.jpg
Kinugasa vs Aoba details, MS # 36.jpg [ 92.46 KiB | Viewed 2158 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:38 am 

Dan K wrote:
The short answer is yes. Differences are in some minor details. Can't remember if I posted this before. And, I'm sure Mucho can elaborate.

Thanks. I am most concerned about the differences in the bow you posted above. Does this translate to both kits? Or is one simply a rebox of the other?

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:31 pm 

I don;t have both kits so, I'm not certain. But, I would tend to believe that the same hull was used for both.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:20 pm 

hi, yea,

Re. question from "haijun" modeler
i´m not familiar with examining those Hasegawa kitmodels. Though,I took a look at a Kinugasa model on a certain hobby magazine to find out that they use exactly the same bow fairlead as Aoba,sadly enough.I.e. Kinugasa is using Aoba´s bow fairlead.uha :heh:

Illust (3)of the exhaust pipes, from the then Maru special booklet, are actually not entirely correct for both Aoba and Kinugasa.
As we can see,the illust of the rear mast is from the commisioning til the period before the modernization,howver,I suppose you would be buying Rainbow model´s PE parts or something to express the 1941 or -42 version.

Beside these already known ones there are more kinetic differences between these two sister cruisers,for giving clues to Columbus´s egg won´t be a better solution,but it will be another joy & pleasure for modelers or researchers to strain their eyes and find them by themselves.tja :smallsmile:

BR
Mutsuo Sasaki,

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:39 am 

Had a chance to see very live-looking, lovable models of postwar DD n minesweeper of MSDF lately.
In terms of the above an Aoba model may look like a death mask,oh no;the thing is how one will have to prevent such a death-stricken complexion from appearing on a ship model one builds.

Mutsuo S.

Attachments:
ASIASIP6160812 150 dm.jpg
ASIASIP6160812 150 dm.jpg [ 146.5 KiB | Viewed 2020 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:47 pm 

Examining various modelling versions of IJN 12 meter motor launches,overall quality has been improved in recent years. Among others this 1/144 launch look like one in 1/100 in it´s fineness...

Mutsuo S.

Attachments:
ASI350Tamiya pntpnt.jpg
ASI350Tamiya pntpnt.jpg [ 47.65 KiB | Viewed 1976 times ]
ASIASI12 meter motor launch pnt.jpg
ASIASI12 meter motor launch pnt.jpg [ 66.73 KiB | Viewed 1976 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:41 pm 

Dear Friends,

I'm preparing my new project - IJN Kinugasa '42.
Kit I have is Hasegawa No 348. Needs a lot of rebuild and upgrade. :heh:

First shot: Main turrets. Hasegawa included the the turrets with sun thermal protection panels:

But I guess during her last fight on Guadalcanal Kinugasa has not carried the sun thermal panels...?

Source: Gakken Series #44

I think the injection here is an unfortunate mixture: either no panels and training device on top (years till '42-'43) or panels and no training device (after '43).

Or I am mistaken.... ?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:04 pm 

Kinugasa is like Aoba - no upgrade to the new model turret like Furutaka & Kako, but the thermal shielding is there.. Not sure about the training devices. I'll try to check some references tonite.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:36 am 

I think the two pics of Myoko and Aoba are from the first commission period.(i´m afraid you cannot use these for models of 1941-42)
Then Aoba-Kinugasa in question had those Honetsu-ban radiators and the Shojun Enshuu-ki trainers on the turret roofs later. There´re at least two pis of Kinugasa having those things. One is from late 1941 and,another from a pic where she is operating in the Southern Pacific in 1942.
These two pics show the both(the mount plate of the trainer esp.), rest assured. And you´d say, bravo. Enjoy your good hawk eyes, gents.

cheers,
Mutsuo S.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:53 am 

So - during Battle of Guadalcanal on 19 of Dec. she carried both training device and Honetsu-ban radiators?
thanks for confirming!
Greg

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:12 am 

blacman wrote:
So - during Battle of Guadalcanal on 19 of Dec. she carried both training device and Honetsu-ban radiators?
thanks for confirming!
Greg

--------------------------------------------------------
No, under war-readiness condition, the trainer box and the training gear must be stored either inside of the ship or placed on land(of the port). it´s a rule for all ijn fighting ships to abide by.
Radiators are fixed installations on the turret, and they cannot be removed!

MS

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:10 am 

Unfortunately, all my reference photos of Kinugasa are not clear enough to show the presence of the thermal baffle coverings. Nor do I have any later than Oct., 1941. I would not be surprised to learn that Mucho has access to references that I don't. :smallsmile:

However, if you accept the premise that the IJN upgraded sister ships to the same level of fit, particularly before the war, then I believe that a view of Aoba answers your questions. The photo below was one of a number taken aboard Aoba enroute to Cape Esperance in Oct. 1942. In the cropping, the bottom red arrow points to some of the thermal baffle openings on turret #2. The angle of the turned turret makes it difficult to determine if this set of openings is to the outside of the starboard 20cm gun, or lies between the two barrels.

The upper arrow points to where the hood of the training box should be, but all I see is a plated over cover.

Attachments:
Aoba enroute to Cape Esperance Oct, 1942.jpg
Aoba enroute to Cape Esperance Oct, 1942.jpg [ 133.97 KiB | Viewed 1709 times ]
Aoba enroute to Cape Esperance Oct, 1942 crop.jpg
Aoba enroute to Cape Esperance Oct, 1942 crop.jpg [ 185.26 KiB | Viewed 1709 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:51 am 

That´s ,,,,,Kinugasa in action on the photo.

/mutsuo s.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:24 am 

I believe you Mucho but, all my Japanese reference books refer to her as Aoba. Here is the caption from Nihon no Gunkan #6. The English translation at the back of the book also refers to her as Aoba. Of course, it wouldn't be the first time they got this wrong.

Attachments:
Caption p232, Nihon no Gunkan #6.jpg
Caption p232, Nihon no Gunkan #6.jpg [ 74.11 KiB | Viewed 1651 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:43 am 

Dan, i´m afraid to say the caption is wrong about the ship name.
That is to say,they and others just failed to check with ID-able points of the ship at all ,for the last 69-70 years.
I think Mucho did the job himself,already. His´ is already on one of the Navy Yard Assos.Journals.

But the researcher/modeler for " Navy Yard payed magazine" ,mr XXmoto is no longer my & our(=the original NYA)alliance,and i don´t,he doesn´t care, either. lol

Mutsuo S.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:06 pm 

Like I said, I'm not surprised there are errors. Sadly, I don't have that Journal. Care to drop a hint or two? :cool_2:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:18 am 

I´m not in a position to tell everything now,my modelling mate(my son in-law) is with a certain kitmodel maker:aoba/kinugasa can be one of their plans. But from my humble point of view Kinugasa DID adopt myoko classe´s fwd deck configuration which alianates from her sistership aoba. That will be a very good hint.

Mutsuo S.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:25 pm 

Why do I think that means Fujimi? :big_grin:

Well, I don't know if these changes follow those of the Myokos, but I did notice the following for their respective bow fairwaters (if that's the correct term). These differences correspond nicely to the diagram at the top of this page.

Attachments:
Kinugasa bow 1942 dip.jpg
Kinugasa bow 1942 dip.jpg [ 193.75 KiB | Viewed 1567 times ]
Aoba bow 1929, straight.jpg
Aoba bow 1929, straight.jpg [ 168.58 KiB | Viewed 1567 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:36 pm 

There are two considerations;
A)Kinugasa´s similarity points to Myoko class ,and
B) " differences from her sister Aoba
A) =also becomes differecnes from Aoba

I rather think the chrysanthemum fairlead at the forefront of the bow is one of id points thats belong to B) The son in-law used to do with tamiya,,,,,.

mutsuo S.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:26 pm 

Tamiya would be nice............. thanks, Mucho.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next