The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:43 am 

Hey mates!
I just made a 3D models.
I believe they are correct (Kinugasa '42) since the model will be presented as fighting. No exercise devices on top.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:33 pm 

Very nice. Just fyi, if Aoba's #3 turret is any good as an indicator, than the baffle covering pattern for Kinugasa's is the same as the forward two turrets.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:28 pm 

??

does it mean no lateral resections of baffles on both side ?

I though turret No1 is full covered
turrets No2&3 have lateral cuts off...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:36 pm 

A very nice prework, Greg. Hoetsu-ban sideline arrangement drawn and meant for Nr.2 & 3 Kinugasa are for Myoko 1,2,3,4 s, and Haguro´s 1,2,4 turrets.
These are not exactly of Kinugasa´s, suppose Aoba and Kinugasa had the same one.
Mutsuo S.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:08 pm 

thank you folks... :wave_1:

I guess like this...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:20 am 

There´s a noticeable difference between Myok& Haguro´s Honetsuban radiator´s sideline and that of Aoba´s and (highly possibly)Kinugasa´s. I will have to say your expression on the cg models is about the two Myoko class´d heat dispersion radiator arrangements, but not of either Aoba or Kinugasa. This will be the ID-point where they differentiate from these 2 Myoko class sisters for that matter.
------------
About the rangefiner hood,
the left side one on the nr.3 turret ought to be bigger than the one one the right side.
Your drawings is the opposite of what Aoba/kinugasa actually had. Sizes in differnces of the hoods of Nr.2 turret are ok.
However, when a used scale is as small as 1/700, this erroneousness will matter less or will be to a negligeable degree..

When these evidences are at hand, i hope you will be able to judge better for Kinugsa´42 by yourself,or more or less.

/mutsuo s.

Attachments:
ASIHonetsuban sideline.jpg
ASIHonetsuban sideline.jpg [ 78.56 KiB | Viewed 2231 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:22 pm 

It might be interesting to contrast your plan with the now discontinued RainBow PE upgrade for Furutaka: http://www.rainbowmodel.com/proshow.asp?proid=86

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:33 am 

Dan K wrote:
It might be interesting to contrast your plan with the now discontinued RainBow PE upgrade for Furutaka: http://www.rainbowmodel.com/proshow.asp?proid=86

uhmm., it seems totally new kinds of issues are occurring.

A) I don´t have updated info regarding Rainbow´s products, but so far Rb7049 is for Aoba1944, and according to the site Rb7050 is for Kinugasa ´42. I suppose Furutaka must be your misunderstanding.

B)The issue will be why Rb7050 is discontinued.why?

C) Another issue will be, i heard from several modelers that PE parts of Rb7049 Aoba are exremely fragile, and they couldn´t build and they abandoned the kitmodel accordingly. If only PE gurus can manage it, kitmodel/PE makers cannot make a profit out of selling such difficult ones to majority of hobby doers.

Trying to contrast this rainbow model with a full-fledged research plan will be out of proportion. Coz I can see the Rb model has lots of misformings,errors and inaccuraies everywhere on it. That will be the life and limit of 1/700 scale models, and is to an acceptable degree due to the chosen scale, i suppose.

---------------
then i wonder what has become of the heat-dispersion holes of the turret roofs of Kinugasa 42.
I suppoosed i had tried to present with some clues to the issue in question ,but there is not a single response regarding this. Maybe I should not have done from next time. :cool_1:

Mutsuo S.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:15 am 

No, no, Mucho, I wasn't trying to confuse things. I was just thinking out loud in print. I was curious how RB's version might compare against the research for Kinugasa (I believe RB has produced the correct bow fairing.) Your observations are correct. :smallsmile:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:26 pm 

Dan K wrote:

Actually I have this set Dan. And I'm not quite happy with - please take a look:

That's why I raised the topic (thank you for your answers :wave_1: )

My understanding is that RM made three turrets with the same pattern of Honetsuban radiators. They made lateral cuts similar to IJN Nachi. On all turrets the same. Which is in confuse what Mutsuo pictured few post above.

Once we would agree with Mutsuo sideline of lateral cut - question would be: were the pattern the same on all 3 turrets for Kinugasa or the first turret was different - no lateral cuts... :scratch:

Mutsuo Sasaki wrote:
About the rangefiner hood,
the left side one on the nr.3 turret ought to be bigger than the one one the right side.
Your drawings is the opposite of what Aoba/kinugasa actually had. Sizes in differnces of the hoods of Nr.2 turret are ok.
However, when a used scale is as small as 1/700, this erroneousness will matter less or will be to a negligeable degree..

/mutsuo s.
Yes, thank you... - it will be corrected - I just simply mirrored the second turret instead of rotate it in my 3D software... :Oops_1:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:45 pm 

hello to gents and guys,
I can see the light much better now.
Was unable to compare with the PE parts coz i don´t possess due to nature of my scale modelling. So, Dan is in the same boat concerning how to determine the sideline of Kinugasa´s honetsuban radiator slots.
Re: that of Aoba´s nr.1 turret,it is covered all over with the radiator on the roof. This alianates from her nr.2&3 turrets.
1) In my opinion there is a great probablity that Kinugasa´s nr.1 may be different from that of Aoba´s nr.1 turret.

2) -----and another probability that those of Kinugasa´s of the nr.2 and/or 3 turrets may be somewhat similar or may be exactly the same as Aoba´s equivalents.

mutsuo s.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:14 pm 

a visual check which might support my latest assumptions or not.

mutsuo s.

Attachments:
ASIASIPC191198nypntms.jpg
ASIASIPC191198nypntms.jpg [ 132.51 KiB | Viewed 2016 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:28 am 

2 x Petes still missing many parts to be added,,
to be carried by Aoba from July,1944
really timetaking when scratchbuilt, but hoping it one day becomes a bit rewarding,,,

Mutsuo S.

Nakajima type 94 model 2 x 1 was also carried by Aoba for a short period in July,1944
zooming as the cause of lack of sharpness of the pic.,,

Attachments:
ASIP1131319sm.jpg
ASIP1131319sm.jpg [ 53.42 KiB | Viewed 1911 times ]
ASIP1121313.jpg
ASIP1121313.jpg [ 57.98 KiB | Viewed 1907 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:58 am 

Just beautiful, Mucho. :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:43 pm 

Hello all,
I am looking for documentation on Aoba/Kinugasa rudder or rudders? Did they have a single or dual rudders? I have been looking for build pictures and have not been able to find any.
Thank you,
Bob

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:55 am 

Hello mates! :wave_1:
I'm advancing my new 1/700 project - IJN Kinugasa
recently I'm stuck with deck arrangements...

Does anyone know good reference with vents locations? Or some goo plans of Kinugasa deck... Or may it be that there are located the same pattern as on Aoba? I believe the vents arrangements did not change over the war. So Aoba at '45 might have the same scenario as Kinugasa at '42... :scratch:

PS
Any more info about this new Aoba release...?
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10308125
They are going to have new moulds...? Still not available for buying...

Greg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:49 am 

Much mentioned that there was supposed to be a book in the works on this class. Has there been any update on its status?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:50 am 

blacman wrote:
:

PS
Any more info about this new Aoba release...?
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10308125
They are going to have new moulds...? Still not available for buying...

Greg

From the description, looks like only the lower hull is new mold, with PE parts and brass barrels the only other additions.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:03 pm 

Quote:
I am looking for documentation on Aoba/Kinugasa rudder or rudders? Did they have a single or dual rudders?

I would have thought single rudders but the GPS cruiser volume alludes to twin rudders. This is a Mucho question :smallsmile:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:28 pm 
Lacroix and Wells mention a single rudder when describing the steering system for the Furutaka and Aoba classes. This seems a safe bet as all the previous classes (5500 ton and Yubari) seem to be single rudder too.

Ed R

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next