The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:56 am 

Not all of the Baltimore class received the 3" gun upgrade. The first 4 Baltimore's had the more square stern. To the best of my knowledge, none of the four received the basic 3" gun upgrade. Boston and Canberra did have 3" guns, but only after their conversion to guided missile cruisers. 2 of the later rounded-stern group also did not receive 3" guns. Fall River did not and Chicago did not prior to her conversion to a CG.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:37 pm 

USS BALTIMORE (CA-68) never received the 3-in upgrade replacing the 40-mm guns. The USN didn't have enough of the twin 3-in rapid fire gun mounts to replace all the quad 40-mm mounts on every ship authorized to get them. Priorities were set and some cruisers didn't get them prior to being decommissioned. Neither USS BALTIMORE or USS QUINCY got the 3-in RFG mounts. They decommissioned 31 May 1956 and 2 July 1954 respectively.

I have an overhead view of USS BALTIMORE dated 15 May 1955, a year before she decommissioned, clearly showing that she still has quad 40-mm guns.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 1:02 am 

Rick,

This is a bit off subject, but looking at the 1955 Baltimore picture I noticed that none of the quad 40mm mounts had the Mk 28 radars on the mounts that were part of the Mk 63 gun directors.

I have photos of some of the Clevelands with the Mk 28 installed on the 40mm mounts in late WWII. Was the 28/63 cancelled by the mid 50s? Were they ever installed on the Baltimores, or replaced by something else?

Phil

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:35 am 

Phil,

A good question. I had not really thought about it much. I know that all of the cruisers that were upgraded with the 3-in RFG mounts also had their fire-control upgraded with Mk 56 GFCS units. The only CLEVELAND class all-gun cruiser upgraded with 3-in RFG mounts had Mk 56 GFCS directors was USS MANCHESTER (CL-83).

In looking as close a blown-up of the May 1955 image of USS BALTIMORE that I can, I can't tell what directors she has, but it looks like they could be Mk 57 GFCS directors. I have a couple of photos of KW recommissioned BALTIMORE's where the Mk 57 directors can be seen while they still had quad 40-mm mounts. It is hard to tell what GFCS are installed in many photos I have because they are covered with canvas.

The Mk 63 GFCS wasn't a very good system against modern aircraft and had been replaced on most ships by the mid-1950s. A major exception and the only cases I'm aware of, where the Mk 28 radar was installed on the 3-in RFG mounts, was on destroyers, particularly FLETCHER's. The Mk 63 GFCS was decommissioned and removed from USN ships in 1968.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:04 pm 

I have a question - part camouflage related about USS Baltimore. I have the Trumpeter kit, which represents the ship as built in 1943, is MS21. I also have the WEM etch for it, which has things like the casing for the forward funnel base, a bridge platform extension and I think a windbreak for another bridge platform.

I want to use these parts from the etch set but I'm not sure of the exact configuration of the ship when these parts were fitted to the actual ship - if that makes sense! I've seen a pic on Navsource, dated Oct 43, in which it looks like these parts were on the ship and the 40mm battery has been doubled and the ship is still in MS21. Can't make out the 20mm battery, looks like the radar fit might be as built too.

So any suggestions from anyone? Also just to check, when was the dazzle camouflage applied to her?

thanks
Mike

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7