The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 892 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 45  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:19 pm 

Personally, i can't advise you, as I don't do the tie-down strips in 1/700. I feel doing so would be overscale as the real things were but 30mm W x 5mm H. So, if you were willing to endorse that view, then you could sand down any glue spots and just let it go with linoleum paint.

Admittedly, those metal decks are popular for that very reason, to replicate the tie-down strips. I believe scraping them down with a blade after painting is what most folks do. FWIW.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:42 am 

I have never modeled the brass strips on the Japanese ships, so I can't offer any specific advice from experience.

However, even if you could use 0.003" brass, the strips would be over 2" scale - way over sized.

I have modeled other very thin features, and for these I just use paint. You might just paint the linoleum deck color first, let it dry thoroughly, and then try masking the brass strips with very clean edge tape. Getting a consistent width for the strips will be tedious. Use a very light spray of brass colored paint - if you over do it the paint may run under the edges of the tape. Try spraying in the direction of the length of the brass strips to avoid blowing the paint under the tape. Expect to have to touch up a few places where the brass paint gets under the tape.

A heavy coat of paint will be nearly a scale inch thick at 1:700.

Phil

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:07 pm 

Fairleads, anchors etc are yet to make,sorted out mushroom vents and skylights.
I came to know Chokai´s anchor deck is not the same as ohter 3 Takao cl. sisterhips.= anti-skids layout,capstan to name a few.

mucho

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:43 pm 

Any way to show how different, Mucho?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:30 pm 

Dan K wrote:
Any way to show how different, Mucho?

yea,Chokai´s anti-skids are in parallel mostly,the mount of the capstans is seperated,whereas, Takao/Maya´s anti-skids are in the direction of X,the mount of their capstans is in one solid form.
And arrangement of anti-skids for Atago looks like that of Chokai´s, indeed.
These may be kinetic differences on the anchor deck.

by the way,both fujimi and aoshoma Takao 1/350 must have mixed up with Chokai with respect to expression of shape of the capstan mount.:(

mucho,

the 2nd image shows Takao & Maya. Atago´s is identical to them.

Last edited by Mutsuo Sasaki on Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:49 am 

Thank you very much, Mucho. Yes, those details haven't been picked up by other references that I've seen so far.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:48 am 

Dan K wrote:
Thank you very much, Mucho. Yes, those details haven't been picked up by other references that I've seen so far.

You´re most welcome,Dan. FI,it is only Chokai which differentiates in shape of the capstan-mount from the other three sisters.
Have not found any closer pics of Atago;it will be highly probable she also had the same anti-skids treatment on the anchor deck as Chokai´s, my guess.

I must say other Takao cl. researchers may have been hehind times,they used to give info to Takao class kit maters incl. fighting-ship magazines so far. I know and am familiar with one of them(in my activity circle) who is in closer contact. Let´s see how it goes with him/them doing their ample justice on them in the future.

br,
mucho,

Last edited by Mutsuo Sasaki on Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:02 pm 

Well I bit the bullet and bought the flyhawk metal deck for 1/700 Fujimi Takao to see if it would fit the Fujimi Atago kit. And the results? No, it does not fit Atago (unfortunate, but at least the part was inexpensive). To be more precise, the bow section almost fits, but it seems that the holes for the turrets are spaced just slightly different between the two molds, and thus, it ends up being a tad too short for Atago. In other words, Atago’s turrets seems to be spaced out just a little more than Takao’s.

The stern section, on the other hand, really does not fit Atago, for more or less for the same reason as above, but just more obviously.

Aside from the different layout of vents, ammo boxes, etc. between the two ships, (which can easily be worked around), it was simply the spacing of the turrets that makes the Takao deck unable to fit Atago. I just thought that I would post this info here for anyone that might be looking for this info.

I guess now I could do as Phil suggested and paint on thinly the brass stripes. I understand that it would be overscale, but I just really want that overall visual effect on the deck. But if it turns out to be way too tedious again, (considering I already went through the entire deck to put on these brass strips), I suppose I’m more willing now to let go of it entirely and just go with all linoleum. If only flyhawk made a deck for Atago...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:09 pm 

That's most unfortunate, but we appreciate your posting the information. There were some issues with the Fujimi Takao hull, but as far as I know, they weren't related to the turrets. And I don't recall coming across any information that suggested that the placement of the turrets varied appreciably between the sisters. Maybe Mucho has better information on that.

I hope your build works out.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:03 am 

hi, mates
I did look into the issue of turrets placing pr suggested by Dan.
Aside from accuracy problem of the mold by the kit-maker & the Flyhawk they( of the actual ships) ought to be
at the same place for Atago and Takao due to adoption of the common body-design and the same armament arrangements,and yes they ARE.
An image will later follow after breakfast to show proof of this,hopefully.
br
mucho,

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:48 pm 

Turrets should rest at the same frame number(s) for both ships(and other 2 sisterships), and they actually do.
I´m afraid it´s plastic kit-model maker and/or etching parts co.that are messing around with placing of them...

br
mucho,

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:08 pm 

Great. Thx for confirming that, Mucho. It really didn't make sense to think that there would have been any appreciable variation in the actual ships.

I'm guessing that Fujimi took the opportunity to tweak the mold after getting all the negative feedback. The same hull is used for the other three Fujimi sister kits. That doesn't really help anybody looking for a metal deck for the Fujimi kits, aside from the Flyhawk Maya deck.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:36 pm 

Dan K wrote:
I'm guessing that Fujimi took the opportunity to weak the mold after getting all the negative feedback. The same hull is used for the other three Fujimi sister kits. That doesn't really help anybody looking for a metal deck for the Fujimi kits, aside from the Flyhawk Maya deck.

It looks like Fujimi is /was at 6´s and 7´s with finding appropriate tech advicer(s),in addition, the price of making a mold form must be not cheap, so it must have economized in a way. Fujimi lost sight of an usual tech advicer and he found himself within Pitroad last year..:D
Was making fairleads and anchors. Will do the anchor hose-pipe afterwards, so the anchors may well fit inside the recess.

mucho,

Last edited by Mutsuo Sasaki on Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:24 pm 

Thank you Dan and Mucho for the confirmation. How unfortunate indeed...
If I understand this correctly (based on this, and older comments in this thread), is it that the Fujimi Takao set has some proportional mistakes (along with others) and Fujimi have since corrected these for the other 3 sisters?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:45 am 

Duke wrote:
Thank you Dan and Mucho for the confirmation. How unfortunate indeed...
If I understand this correctly (based on this, and older comments in this thread), is it that the Fujimi Takao set has some proportional mistakes (along with others) and Fujimi have since corrected these for the other 3 sisters?

I would advise you to talk with kit-model builders for detailed explanation(there are many experienced kit modellers inc.Dan) since I do only in large-scaled scratch builds.
Here is one of reference sites to show how body-parts are different, esp. fujimi´s Takao class 1/700 =Takao and Atago.
Fujimi´s Maya model allegedly has it´s own body, fujimi Chokai´s body is the same as Atago & Maya(bulges in seperate parts,place of degaussing cable will have to be calibrated by modellers themselves)
http://blog.pastime.ne.jp/waterline-ser ... atago/1877

I am not certain to which extent Fujimi might have made proportional mistakes for their Takao class cruiser models,but Pitroad is a dark horce;it´s products are to be more accurate and precise than those of other companies´s.
When I remember back to early 2004(?),I sent 1/200 drawing of heavy cruiser Furutaka to a Pitroad production staff,he got it reflected very precisely on 1/700 Furutaka model to my surprise.Then Tamiya followed suits.

br
mucho,

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:48 am 

For a change of air a small task was assinged in order to identify name of the ship in the pic posted now.As a hint this is from a wartime "Umi-to Sora" magazine,time of photo taking must be early 1944 where nr.4 fleet´s 4 x Takao class cruisers were doing excercise for a new Operation.

mucho

Last edited by Mutsuo Sasaki on Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:59 pm 

The linoleum stoppers ought to be much thinner than this,it is obviously overscaled, but I need to make a compromise when one has to express bolts on the strips. This can be a laborius piece of work,hoping this will add some effects to the model when once finished. Might take many days, a week or two to cover the entire upper deck.
Took me 1,5 days to form the shape of 2 x main anchors(the new version ones)...
br
mucho,

Last edited by Mutsuo Sasaki on Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:27 pm 

Quote:

It seems that Fujimi did make an effort to correct at least some of the errors in its Takao kit for the other 3 sisters.

I happen to prefer the Aoshima hulls in terms of accuracy, but their detailing is both subtle, and relatively sparse compared to the Pit-Road and Fujimi.

Quote:
identify name of the ship in the pic posted now

I couldn't even begin to guess which one it is.

Just fantastic work, Mucho. It's good to see you working at it steadily, even if its just for now. :smallsmile:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:07 pm 

Quote:
identify name of the ship in the pic posted now

I couldn't even begin to guess which one it is.
Just fantastic work, Mucho. It's good to see you working at it steadily, even if its just for now. :smallsmile:[/quote]

----------------------------------------------
I have been watching the pic in question over the past years without finding out name of the cruiser,then I suddenly seem to have seen the light when I sat down to build the deck area,trying to looking into deck-fittings and gun turrets.

Yea being slow but steady has become part of my routine.

Concerning the pic I will be posting a study image based on observations I ´ve done over the weekend..here it is., Dan.

br
mucho,

Last edited by Mutsuo Sasaki on Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:09 am 

Wow, sharp eyes, Mucho. Yes, working specifically on Chokai details is the key here.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 892 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 45  Next