The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 892 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 45  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:58 am 

And I have read through most of the 25 pages on this,but there are so many variants that it is quite confusing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:36 pm 

Well, the comments on pp. 20-21 remain true. There's a tradeoff between scaled accuracy and detail. In truth, even with today's advance molding techniques, it's not possible to have all the details in accurate scale on a 1/700 model. The manufacturers are getting closer all the time but, it may not be truly acheivable. In 1/350, it is more likely.

PitRoad's kits were a vast improvement over the original Aoshima kits, but they have been surpassed, IMHO.

Aoshima opted to emphasize correctly scaled details on these kits. Which means that a lot of details are hard to see or just not included. Which then means that the modeler has a lot of work ahead of them to add detail to the kit. I think Richard Price's Aoshima Takao 1944 is about as good example as one sees in that approach, and he spent 900+ hours on it. It shows, but not too many people want to do that.

Fujimi is trying to have it's cake and eat it too. So, Fujimi has added a lot of details, nicely molded, but still slightly overscale. Porthole eyebrows in 1/700 are just ridiculous from a proper scale perspective but, a lot of people like it. Same with the plating seams on the 20cm turrets. Their Takao kit suffers from a few other issues that seem to have been corrected with their subsequent Maya and Atago kits. I haven't purchased one of those yet, but, from what I can see in photos, they look pretty good.

Does that help?

Last edited by Dan K on Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:05 pm 

That actually does help, exactly what I was looking for. I will see how this one goes, and then I might try Maya from fujimi. Thinking about the fujimi Tone also, I have alot of free time these days......

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:40 pm 

Well I got my Aoshima Takao 1944, and it is a very nice kit, but the hull is warped, basically the bow and stern are touching the table top, and the rest of the hull in between is warped upwards. Anyone have any idea how to deal with this?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:18 am 

Stevy Guzy has a fix that worked for me on two Aoshima Takao class hulls. Check the Trading post board for his PM info; he's got some stuff up right now. ..

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:15 am 

krgf15 wrote:
Well I got my Aoshima Takao 1944, and it is a very nice kit, but the hull is warped, basically the bow and stern are touching the table top, and the rest of the hull in between is warped upwards. Anyone have any idea how to deal with this?

Unless they changed the mold this is a common problem and can be fixed (I've done 3) with hot water. If you are in the US you can send it to me and I will be glad to fix it for you. Guaranteed results or I will replace it. Otherwise I will outline the method so you can try it yourself. The risk is that you can easily damage the hull beyond repair if the clamps are in the wrong place or over tightened.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:25 pm 

As an endorsement of Steve's method, he has worked on three Aoshima Takao class hulls for me. All have stood the test of time for approx 6 years. One was the hull used in Maya: http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... /index.htm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:51 pm 

Unfortunately, I recieved a 1/700 fujimi Tone yesterda.y,and same story. I hate to hear that it might be a molding problem for aoshima. I had hoped it was the temperature change up here lol. Thanks for the advice guys, I think I will try it myself, and if that wont work, I might have to send it to you. I was hoping that just gluing the metal bars on the waterline plate and then putting weight on the hull while the glue dried to thw waterline plate would work...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:56 pm 

But yes Steve, If you have some guidance it would be appreciated sir!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:55 pm 

Dan Kaplan got his Maya paint job wrong: http://www.hlj.com/product/AOS00931

I'm looking forward to his rebuild/repaint log.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:18 pm 

Damn! There goes the rest of my Tamiya tape...........

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:48 pm 

On a question about the IJN Atago kit. The IJN Atago by Fujimi has some crucial difference from the IJN Takao kit released a year earlier. If you will notice the steam pipes around the funnel and under the main funnel is different.Also small difference in the bridge.
Unfortunate for me I was too impassioned to finish a IJN Atago based on the new tooled IJN Takao kit released from Fujimi that I made an IJN Atago with just a different single 25mm AA guns arrangement. IJN Atago had different positions for her single 25mm compared to IJN Takao.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:14 am 

Atma, I was always under the impression that Takao and Atago were nearly identical with the exception of the piping on the funnel and the late war 25mm AA placements ..
Also any word on a late war fujimi 1/700 Choki?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:10 am 

one of my Japanese contacts disagreed with some of my photo interpetations and conclusions. However, his interpretation is also open to debate, as he conceded. He did point out, though, that the aperture through which the degaussing cable exits the hull for external hull mounting on the Takao’s happens at the forward, starboard bulkhead of the HAG deck, hidden under the forward access ladder that rises above the main deck to the HAG deck above. It’s not easily seen in photos.

---------------------

hello, it could be about me.
This one may not seem so conceding actually,,,

No worry, i´m honestly working on two possibilities, no or yea. :cool_2: Just staying cool

Mucho/Mutsuo S.

Attachments:
Maya cable portside  a paint.jpg
Maya cable portside a paint.jpg [ 73.37 KiB | Viewed 1489 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:21 am 

Yep, we agreed to disagree :smallsmile:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:41 am 

Is Maya the same around the torpedoe opening as Chokai?
I don´t think it is. :smallsmile:
Closer check can be revealing some more

mucho,

Attachments:
Maya cable conflict.jpg
Maya cable conflict.jpg [ 133.27 KiB | Viewed 1461 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:06 pm 

Time for Maya to get degaussing cable has come.

If you were Maya´s ships operational officer(Unyo-cho),
how would the cable be layed here?
Just remember that you´re not dealing with Chokai.

have a good luck,

Mutsuo.

Attachments:
ASIP1112374 x.jpg
ASIP1112374 x.jpg [ 69.79 KiB | Viewed 1444 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:47 pm 

Mucho, I'm not disputing that Maya never had a degaussing cable, only questioning when it was removed. I just found it odd that the damage photos seemed to indicate that the cable was already gone, whereas I would have assumed it would have been removed later, during conversion to her AA configuration. I know that you feel the cable is still there at this time.

As to placement, I still feel that Maya and Chokai were very similar sisters, and that placing the cable higher on the 01 HA deck bulge made more sense; higher out of the water. My opinion only.

Attachments:
Chokai 1942, degaussing cable, starboard midship,MS #124,small.jpg
Chokai 1942, degaussing cable, starboard midship,MS #124,small.jpg [ 68.39 KiB | Viewed 1414 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:51 pm 

Dan,
Part of my visual science brought me to this;in the first composite image uploaded.
1) Suppose P is the degaussing cable, both Chokai and Maya have it exactly(almost) here around the middle of the supporting trunk of the catapult.

2)Suppose P is something different than the cable, you will need to find out what it is at all.

Question: Was there any such bandwidth-like bar or object like this, seen alongside of the outer hull here on this Maya photo ?????
I don´t think so,absolutely.
-----------------------------------------------------
In the sercond image:(Maya 1932)
As long as one looks at this photo of damaged Maya(1943) portside, you can not see the degaussing cable,
if it´s installed either in B or in C position in the last posted image of Maya 1932

As I pointed out in the previous post of mine, position A is totally impossible,because the lower part of the torpedo room opening gets in the way.

and that placing the cable higher on the 01 HA deck bulge made more sense; higher out of the water. My opinion only.

-------------------------------------------------------
yea, i know that´s your opinion only.
FYI it is the authority of each section to decide where they would like to have the cable going around,lowering it.
For instance, Navigational Section also has the right to decide positions of the cable to be high or low depending on their gears in order to secure safe operating distances. The heights of the cable not constant.
--------------------------------------------------------------

My interim opinion is,

it´s still too early to judge and determine if the cable was gone at this stage.
-----------------------------------
After the conversion to AA cruiser,
i have not seen or heard or read of any evidence that Maya had the cable removed.

My unchanging question to you will be,,,I wonder from where you got such an idea that it was removed from Maya for good.

mutsuo

Attachments:
ASIprobability check of degz cable.jpg
ASIprobability check of degz cable.jpg [ 86.78 KiB | Viewed 1406 times ]
how to avoid conflict.jpg
how to avoid conflict.jpg [ 75.94 KiB | Viewed 1404 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:33 pm 

Well, Mucho, I'm not so sure the position A is so improbable; it didn't seem to interfere with Chokai's torpedo bay opening. So, why not for Maya?

Intereresting point about the Navigation Section. If I recall correctly, both Maya and Chokai underwent refits at Yokosuka in late 1941 that included the installation of the degaussing cable. So, it seems logical to me to think that placement would be very similar.

Also, I am not so certain that there is any degausing cable still installed along the P line. I've lightened the photo in Photoshop and I really just don't see it. But, that's just me. I could be wrong. :smallsmile:

I chose to model my Maya 1944 without the cable because of the trend in IJN new construction and rebuilding during 1943-44. As far as I can tell, none of the new or greatly refit large vessels carried an external degaussing cable. Isuzu is a good example of the latter. I recall reading, perhaps in the postwar Navtech reports, that the IJN had found the degaussing cable largely ineffective by that time. So, it made sense to me (particularly as critical materials became more scarce) that Maya might not have retained hers after her reconstruction in 1944.

However, this is not a certainty. Just my choice. It is unfortunate that the one full photo of Maya at Tawi Tawi in May, 1944 is just not clear enough to determine the existence of the cable by this time.

Attachments:
Maya bomb damage, 12-5-1943 #2small.jpg
Maya bomb damage, 12-5-1943 #2small.jpg [ 147.7 KiB | Viewed 1404 times ]
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 892 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 45  Next