The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 892 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 45  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:42 pm 
Thanks for the confirmation!

I was surprised to see that the de-gaussing line was not molded into the hull.
In fact, it seems to be completely omitted in the kit even though it's on the box art completed model.
Were there differences among the four ships?

Thanks,
Chris

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:42 pm 

AFAIK, the documentation is incomplete, though I don not know if more exists in Japan in private hands. As best I can tell, the cable patterns are based on photographs of Chokai, with input from selected photos of Maya and Takao postwar. If there were variations, chances are that they were small in nature and number.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:24 am 

Hey all,

After a break of several years from major ship modelling, as a way of increasing my skills in delicate work (and on a dare from a friend) I've taken on modeling the IJN Cruiser Maya in 1/350, both in her 1943 fit as she was during the Battle of the Komandorski Islands and as an AA cruiser when sunk. (I'm using both Aoshima 1/350 Chokai for the early fit and 1/350 Maya for the late fit).

The question I have for IJN experts here is: what sea planes did Maya carry at the Battle of the Komandorski Islands and in the submarine action in Palawan Passage where she was sunk by USS Dace? The TROM notes she had 2 E8Ns and a E13A during the Aleutians campaign and that she launched a spotter during the Komandorski Islands action but I've read elsewhere that she carried no seaplanes at that time. The TROM notes she had a E13A embarked as late as June 1944, but no other details for the Palawan Passage action. According to LaCroix and Wells (I believe) it was intended after her conversion for her to carry Aichi E16A Zuiuns but this never occurred.

If she carried a mixture of Daves and Jakes during both actions, would the tail codes have been the same or would they have been changed between March 1943 and October 1944? (and if anyone know, what would the tail codes have been?). I'd like to build a couple of sea planes in my regular scale (1/72) to go with the finished ships, but I can't find any details on markings (or firm info on what was carried during the two actions). Perhaps I'm missing a source?

Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Sean

Current Project(s): 1/72 HMS WALNEY(Y 04)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:09 pm 

That's sounds like a great project. I hope you'll post at least finished photos of the ships, side by side, when finished.

The TROMs are usually as good as the information gets, though new stuff pops up all the time. The TROMs do get updated periodically.

That said, you could ask those questions on IJNAF and IJN ship boards over at j-aircraft.com to see if anybody has a more updated answer. As far as the markings, several initiatives are under way on that same board to try and ascertain much of what you seek. Here's one partial thread on markings, read further down for later in the war: http://www.j-aircraft.org/smf/index.php ... 9#msg74489

I know this won't give you all the answers you seek, but, it's a start.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:03 am 

Thanks Dan, I sure will post photos once done. I've been wanting to do Maya for awhile--I even toyed with a 1/72 scale model, but 1/350--although not a scale I've worked with before--seems to be the right size; manageable while big enough scope for detailing using my fat fingers :)

Thanks for the forum link too--it's already 10x more info than I had.

Cheers,

Sean

Current Project(s): 1/72 HMS WALNEY(Y 04)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:03 pm 

whytewolf wrote:

The question I have for IJN experts here is: what sea planes did Maya carry at the Battle of the Komandorski Islands
Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Sean

1 Mitsubishi F1M2 according to "War Planes of the Second World War, Volume Six: Floatplanes" from William Green

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:08 pm 

First and second posts of this thread modified to included lists of available kits and additional gallery entries. Thanks to Dan Kaplan-san for gathering the info!

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:15 pm 
Gents,

I am new to the ship-building world, but nowhere new to models (I just usually live in the 1/35 armor world is all). Anyway, I LOVE the Takao class, but I am confused about the Aoshima kits. I am still working my way through this thread, so forgive me if this has been answered already. But I was wondering:

Is the '44 Atago KIT the same as the '44 Takao?

And is the Chokai kit the only one I can use for the pre-war version of these vessels? Because, DANG, I can't find that kit anywhere.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks in advance,

Joe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:45 pm 

Quote:
Is the '44 Atago KIT the same as the '44 Takao?

99% yes. Aoshima molded different parts for the #1 funnel for each kit, appropriately.

Quote:
And is the Chokai kit the only one I can use for the pre-war version of these vessels?

Yes. (you're 2 for 2. VG.) It was the only sister that did not ultimately gain the hull blisters, so her hull is the only one appropriate for an earlier iteration. Freetime seems to be offering a kit on Ebay: https://www.google.com/search?q=Aoshima ... i&tbm=shop

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:17 am 
Thanks, Dan. I appreciate the help :-)

Joe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:18 am 

Thanks, Dan.

I appreciate the help :-)

Joe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:16 pm 

You bet. You could also go for the Pit-Road Chokai, which comes with an alternative foremast and parts for a 1932 version.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:23 pm 

Dan K wrote:
You bet. You could also go for the Pit-Road Chokai, which comes with an alternative foremast and parts for a 1932 version.

Can't seem to find that one. Is it plastic or resin?

Joe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:31 am 

The PitRoad Takao class kits are all in plastic. They were released some time before the Fujimi ones, and are a little more over the top in terms of the scale of the detail, but they were good when they were releaed and are a lot better than the previous available kits dating from decades before that.

Last edited by Gernot on Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:57 am 

Hello, I was not sure if Joe was asking about 1/350 or 1/700 so I did not react, but as Pit-Road is 1/700 I can only recommend Fujimi´s much more recent 1/700 Chokai kit. It has some issues but I think it is far better than both Aoshima and Pit-Road. Check http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=162404 for more info.

Vladi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:09 am 

Vladi wrote:
Hello, I was not sure if Joe was asking about 1/350 or 1/700 so I did not react, but as Pit-Road is 1/700 I can only recommend Fujimi´s much more recent 1/700 Chokai kit. It has some issues but I think it is far better than both Aoshima and Pit-Road. Check http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=162404 for more info.

Vladi

LOL< that explains it. I am looking at 1/350 scale only. So that is probably why I never found the Pitroad kit.

Thanks for clearing that up. I guess, sine I am late to the game, I'll be waiting for EBay fodder. Oh, well, I'll live (but my wallet might not) :-)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:40 am 

Ah, didn't realize we were discussing 1/350. Comments per the Aoshima Chokai still apply, though not about availability.

I see over on HobbySearch Japan that they have been restocking Aoshima 1/350 ships, so maybe a new production run of Chokai is in the works. These will all be the re-worked version, which has all its deck fittings molded separately, which eases painting the deck greatly.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:48 am 

If you can find yourself a copy of Model Art Ship Modeling Special #26, Winter 2007 (dedicated to the Takao class), someone did a nice job backdating a 1/350 Takao kit to a 1932 version. Not an extensive article, but still a nice guide.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:43 pm 

Dan K wrote:
Well, I have the new tool Aoshima Chokai, Maya, and Atago, though I've only built the Chokai. All are clear bridge versions. The clear brdige version are worth it if you plan to use PE window fittings - it eliminates the need to cut out those portions of the bridge.

The kit hulls for the Maya and Atago (and Takao) are identical. The Chokai's hull is singularly different - no bulges. The Maya kit has many different parts then Atago/Takao, particularly the upper bridge, though they use the same basic hull and HA deck. Unfortunately, you can't substitute Maya parts for Takao.

Best bet is to search on Amazon or Ebay, probably.

Dan,

I know there were some minor differences between Atago and Takao, but I am wondering: does the Atago kit have all the sprues in it needed to build it as a Takao? (I am looking at the 44 versions for both kits).

Sorry to pick on you but, judging from your comment, you seem to be the man to ask -- since you have (or had) all the kits.

Thanks in advance,

Joe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:45 pm 

Dan K wrote:
If you can find yourself a copy of Model Art Ship Modeling Special #26, Winter 2007 (dedicated to the Takao class), someone did a nice job backdating a 1/350 Takao kit to a 1932 version. Not an extensive article, but still a nice guide.

Thank. I'll keep watch. :-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 892 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 45  Next