The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 363 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 19  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:30 pm 

Steve wrote:
If I figured it out correctly while on the Admiralty model site they are doing the USS Spokane CLAA120, the third group of the class and the first time this version has been available in any scale plastic or resin. Can someone confirm if I got this correct?

While I can neither confirm or deny, I do believe you are correct.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Post subject: USS Spokane CLAA 120
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:04 pm 

Finally one from the third group, in resin by Admiralty Model Works. Pics on Steel Navy.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:25 pm 

Jon from the Admiralty has posted the pics in the Main Forum: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=36691

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:49 pm 

Just read through this thread and am amazed by Gordon's beautiful Atlanta build. I am currently building the Atlanta as she appeared during the Midway campaign (from the Dragon Juneau kit) and was wondering whether the AA arrangement was the same (especially the 1.1 and 20's on the fantail and the 20's amidships) for this period as it was at her loss. I know she went into drydock after Midway, when her hull was scraped and repainted - without the splotches. Were any of these guns added at that time or was she fitted out the same way before as after?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:58 am 

I've moved Michael Potter's USS Juneau II build into it's own "Work in Progress" thread here.

Michael - as we are trying to keep the threads in CASF just for the ships, please post new updates of your Juneau II there, but feel free to let folks you've done so in this thread.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Post subject: Eduard PE Set
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:57 am 

Free Time has the extensive Eduard San Diego PE set on their clearance page

Post subject: USS Oakland Kit
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:33 am 

Great Models has listed the 1/700 DML kit as "new" and in stock.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:34 pm 

GreatModels doesn't have the best record for "in stock" actually meaning in stock.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:34 pm 

Dick - So true but I couldn't resist and the price was $21 and change plus shipping. I'll keep you posted but the email order confirmation stated it was in stock.

Post subject: USS Oakland Kit
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:34 am 

Pacific Front has also listed the kit for a nice price!

Post subject: USS Oakland Kit Contents
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:43 pm 

Kit arrived today and appears to be the basic kit with no PE or extra parts like the Premium versions except that a Cartograf decal for all 10 ships in the class is included.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:31 pm 

Has anyone perused USS Oakland Light AA Cruiser, Profile Morskie No. 83? Has it drawings and other accessible information, beyond what exists in the Warship Perspective book on the Atlanta class?

If humanity wishes to preserve a planet similar to that on which civilization developed and to which life on Earth is adapted, [atmospheric] CO2 will need to be reduced from its current 385 ppm to at most 350 ppm.
Dr James Hansen, NASA, 2008.

Post subject: USS Oakland PM 83
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:55 pm 

Excellent drawings with extensive details in 1/200 plus a 1/400 plan and elevation. Photos sharp and are captioned in both Polish and English. Text is in Polish. No hull lines but these can be found elsewhere. Excellent supplement to the other publications on the class.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:56 pm 

In all of Profile Morskie books are hull sections, also in USS Oakland book. As far I remember they are quite dense, so very helpful in hull construction. Full hull lines are quiet rare to find out.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 7:17 pm 

Skywave's original USS Atlanta kit contains:

1. One 'A' tree of parts particular to the first batch of Atlanta class cruisers (Atlanta, Juneau #1, San Diego, San Juan);
2. Two 'B' trees of USN WW2 weapons and equipments common among multiple ship classes;
3. Decals for all the Atlantas, including those that this kit cannot create.

Dragon's USS Oakland kit, compared with Skywave's original USS Atlanta kit, contains the Atlanta kit trees and adds:

4. One 'C' tree of parts to create the underwater hull;
5. One 'D' tree of parts particular to the second batch of Atlanta class cruisers (Oakland, Reno, Flint, Tucson), primarily their new square-front bridge and new upper decks;
6. A new booklet of instructions including camouflage. Verify your ship's 40mm guns and torpedo tubes instead of relying on the instructions about those weapons.

This kit is something of a craftsman kit. To model one of these cruisers more accurately from this kit, some scratch-building is necessary, especially of the deckhouses beneath and aft of the second funnel. Cutting and filling are needed to join parts of the superstructures, but nothing impossible. With PE and add-on parts, this kit should produce a nice model of a handsome and efficient cruiser.

If humanity wishes to preserve a planet similar to that on which civilization developed and to which life on Earth is adapted, [atmospheric] CO2 will need to be reduced from its current 385 ppm to at most 350 ppm.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:56 am 

Building (slowly) the 1/700 Dragon USS Oakland kit as USS Flint (CL 97) reveals more about this kit, and provides a comparison with the USS Spokane kit from Admiralty Model Works. These kits represent different ships. The Oakland group comprised USS Oakland, Reno, Flint, and Tucson (CL/CLAA 95-98). The Juneau II group comprised USS Juneau, Spokane, and Fresno (CL/CLAA 119-121).

To model a particular ship, one needs the kit for that type. To model Flint, I need the Dragon kit. My notes about modeling USS Juneau II (CLAA 119) as she appeared in 1950 from the Admiralty Model Works of USS Spokane in 1946 are here.

To model any ship of the Oakland group from the Dragon kit, one needs:

-- plans from Floating Drydock (which now offers plans of USS Flint in 1/192);
-- the Warship Perspectives booklet Atlanta Class Cruisers in World War II;
-- neither of the above to build an excellent model from the Admiralty Spokane kit.

As built, all four ships of the Oakland group had eight twin 40mm gun mounts. The Dragon kit provides accurate tubs for only two, which are molded on the 01-level deck between the funnels (kit part D1). All the other kitted tubs in the Dragon kit are sized for quad 40mm's and are about 50% oversize for twin 40mm's. Some of these ships (Flint not among them) later in their careers mounted some quad 40mm's after overhauls but even for one of those ships, you still need to build at least some twin 40mm tubs.

The kitted Dragon/Skywave USN weapons, good 20-30 years ago, are inferior to today's products. I am upgrading all of Flint's weapons, and many other fittings, with products from Admiralty (5-inch guns and turrets, various fittings), Loose Cannon (40mm guns), Paper Lab (20mm guns, torpedo tubes, various fittings), Gold Medal Models (new PE for USN WW2 cruiser/destroyer), and others.

Add the costs for the Dragon Oakland kit, the Floating Drydock plans, and typical after-market parts and PE. The total is higher than for the USS Spokane kit from Admiralty Model Works, which needs no after-market parts, provides detailed diagrams, and has far higher quality in fit, in detail, in everything.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:07 am 

Michael Potter wrote:
Add the costs for the Dragon Oakland kit, the Floating Drydock plans, and typical after-market parts and PE. The total is higher than for the USS Spokane kit from Admiralty Model Works, which needs no after-market parts, provides detailed diagrams, and has far higher quality in fit, in detail, in everything.

Maybe Pavel would consider either doing a kit of the earlier Atlanta's, or at least coming out with a replacement hull from which to start with...

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:00 pm 

The original designers at Dragon/Skywave apparently designed the Atlanta/Oakland kit by using photographs and maybe small-scale sketches instead of from actual blueprints. Some flaws are irreparable:

. The forward superstructure is too high by .09 inches, which scales to over five feet vertical.
. The funnels are misshapen.
. The lower hull has an armor belt that is far too thick and too long.
. Superstructure deck heights are inconsistent.
. Gunwales along the bridge level are too low. Also true for the few 20mm and 40mm gun positions that are at least approximately right in diameter.

For Flint I have scratch-built these components:

. six 40mm gun tubs, out of eight on this ship
. six Mk 51 director tubs, out of eight on this ship
. six 20mm gun tubs, out of sixteen on this ship
. the entire main superstructure from the second funnel aft except for the open bridge (kit might be OK for Atlanta)
. both masts (one complete, one in progress)

MartinJQuinn wrote:
Michael Potter wrote:
Maybe Pavel would consider either doing a kit of the earlier Atlanta's, or at least coming out with a replacement hull from which to start with...

I second the motion for a kit for the entire ship. The kit would need a few items of custom PE but most of the PE can come from GMM's excellent updated 1/700 PE for USN cruisers and destroyers.

With my experience so far on the Flint model, in retrospect I would be better off had I bought Pavel's Spokane kit at the start, for the good quality parts that I need anyway for the Oakland unit.

Post subject: Definition of "xD"
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:57 am 

If I assume that "xD" over on SN means "not a destroyer" then by process of elimination this class has graduated to 350 scale. Someone (TC) please confirm if not bound by marketing confidentiality.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:31 pm 

No, "xD" is just an emoticon. Like :heh: but with a slightly sunnier disposition. Atlanta is my best guess for one of the upcoming Dragon kits.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 363 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 19  Next