The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 363 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:09 am 

:thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Bob Pink.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:18 pm 

Looks quite nice!!! I love those ships. Are you planning to do Atlanta with her final camo scheme?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:55 pm 

Filipe wrote:

Are you planning to do Atlanta with her final camo scheme?

Yes! she will be in her final camo scheme. I went out and bought a new box of round toothpicks to apply the splotches with.

Again thank you all for your kind comments

Gordon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:14 am 

Steve wrote:
In the Skywave/DML kits the hull molding is incorrect as it does not extend to the stern. An easy fix along with thinning. An option would be to sand smooth and replace with strip styrene. Eduard has just released a two fret PE set that is extensive. You can view it along with the instructions on their site. Amazing! The new PaperLab 20mm and Mk 51 directors fit nicely in the kit tubs.

Check my post on main site, intended to post here but my fingers are faster than my brain. Have researched this class alot and will post items here in the future.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:14 am 

All the rigging I'm going to do is on the ship except for the flag. That was a real struggle. I started to rig the ship at least three times in the last month and got nowhere, now it is done. Here's a few pictures to show that progress.

Now to get her mounted in a water setting, add some crew members and she'll be done.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:19 am 

Looks terrific! Can you explain how you applied the camo pattern with toothpicks?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:32 am 

What cute... but magnificent model!

:thumbs_up_1:

Those models could make a really amazing diorama!

Nick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:48 am 

Very nice model

:thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

I like very much the camo paint

Jef :wave_1:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:36 am 

Great work. You seem to have had problems with the rigging? For some reason I found the Juneau hard to rig as well. There isn't a lot of it, but what there is runs through awkward areas, ran into fittings, etc.

-Devin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:57 am 

Very nice, Gordon. I've save the pictures to use as a reference for when I build mine.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:06 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ahh one of my favorite ships done right. Nice work. :thumbs_up_1:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:23 pm 

Excellent work Gordon. :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Bob Pink.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:00 pm 

Location: About 50 miles away from the Gulf of Mexico ( traveling W is you do so :)
Fantastic job :thumbs_up_1:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:22 pm 

Great work Gordon, nice to see your skills at work on something other than a Yorktown. :thumbs_up_1:

John

Post subject: Weather deck
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:39 pm 

Is the weather deck of the Atlanta's wood or steel?

Post subject: Re: Weather deck
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:52 pm 

pbudzik wrote:
Is the weather deck of the Atlanta's wood or steel?

All steel. These ships were really super-destroyers and not really cruisers, and as such they followed most destroyer construction methods, such as the steel decks.

-Devin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:45 pm 

The current issue of USNI's "Naval History" magazine has an interesting article on a radio deception operation. The USS Tucson was dispatched south to Kyushu to transmit messages to lead the Japanese astray during TF 38 operations off the north coast of Honshu in July 1945.

Post subject: USS Oakland Kit
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:21 pm 

Many thanks to Tim who has posted a response on the main site that advises DML is the owner of the molds for the Oakland kit. He notes that most parts are duplicates of the ones in their recent San Diego and Juneau Premium releases except that the square bridge parts are on a separate sprue. I would like to see the Oakland reissued by DML in their Premium line with PE as the others have been. With the exception of the third group in the class this would get parts for all versions of the first two groups available.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:22 pm 

Some posts from the "Calling All USN Cruiser Fans thread, which I'm reposting here, since they are specific to the Atlanta class:

Tracy White wrote:
I started updating the shipcamouflage CL page tonight. I've got a couple of design sheets posted and will do the rest that are available some other night... off to the workbench with me!

Cadman wrote:
You might want to change San Diego CL-53 to Ms-12 mod
for 42. :smallsmile:

Tracy White wrote:
So I see. Although this photo is dated one day earlier and is an entirely different paint scheme. Hmmmm. I went ahead and made the change anyway but I'm asking around.

Any idea when she painted to MS 21?

Cadman wrote:
Her refit was Dec. 43, although I can't imagine it being in ms 12 -mod that long. There is a photo inCL's in action showing the camo. Mid 42 is the date. I have some others at work.

Also she is shown at dock in Japan in her Dazzle. Though she wore Ms-21 home.

ar wrote:
Among the official documents that I passed on to S Wiper some time ago, there was one that described this ship as using SEA BLUE as the darkest colour. It was dated about March 1942. NO NAVY BLUE.

Tracy White wrote:
So I see. Although this photo is dated one day earlier and is an entirely different paint scheme. Hmmmm. I went ahead and made the change anyway but I'm asking around.

Any idea when she painted to MS 21?

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:25 pm 

More cut and paste:
Dick J wrote:
Jeffcsr wrote:
Questions on Atlanta class ships:

Several photos including navsource.org show different bridges on the Atlantas. Some round, some stepped round, even a modified open round? and then the square bridges of the Oakland class'. What was the rhyme or reason to these different bridges? Upgrades during service life or different shipyard specs during construction?

Several 'Atlanta's have early boat decks similar to pre-war ships and some don't. Again, an upgrade or construction difference?

TIA,
Jeff

There were 3 batches of Atlanta's, batch 1 - CL 51-54, batch 2 - CL 95-98, and batch 3 - CL 119-121. The first 2 batches were very similar. Batch 1 (Atlanta's) ALL had the stepped bridge. Some confusion arose from the B&W photos (see NH-97819 of San Juan on navsource) because the step was not always visible from some angles, even though it was always there. The open bridge on top of the pilothouse (PH) changed from a rudimentary thing that did not extend to the front of the PH, to the more extensive thing that followed the curve of the PH (San Diego and San Juan only). San Diego had splinter screens added at the step in front of the PH, as part of a "screen flagship" mod.

Batch 2 (Oakland's) actually had the same basic bridge. However, this was disguised by the fact that the PH sides were "shaved off" to narrow the structure, and simplify construction. (Flat plate is faster - fewer steps in the construction process). The PH face was still curved, as in the first 4. The curved front to the lower step was disguised by the forward extension on which 2 20MM mounts were placed. But the underlying structure remained very similar to the original batch. The open bridge, on top of the PH, was flat plate, again for simplicity of construction.

Batch 3 had the superstructure totally redesigned to lower the CG, and allow more AA guns to be mounted. On this group, the design team really did start from scratch, and incorporated all of the lessons of the war to date. 2/3 of the main battery were lowered by 1 deck level, and the bridge and fore-funnel moved aft to make room for a quad 40MM. This batch had even fewer curved plates in the superstructure.

The first 2 batches were designed for boats amidships. Only the first group carried them, though, and they were gradually removed to create space and weight compensation for added AA. Eventually, the crane went, as well. The second batch incorporated these changes from their completion. San Juan and all of the second batch carried 2 40MM twins in the former boat stowage area.

Dick J wrote:
Jeffcsr wrote:
Reread your answer about the bridge, if I understand correctly the Dragon Kit IS correct for the San Diego.

I am not sure where you are going with this. The stepped bridge is correct for San Diego. The pilothouse roof piece that goes with the kit recommended bridge face has the right concept, but is sized for the wrong bridge front. It should conform to the smaller, upper bridge of the stepped piece. San Diego later had a second splinterscreen added, on the lower step, but you could still walk around the front of the pilothouse on that same level, between the screen and the PH. Than makes the kit piece, with the uniform radius from top to bottom, wrong. Is this what you are wondering about?

Jeffcsr wrote:
Yes the bridge face on the Dragon kit for the San Diego is not stepped, but a full profile round bridge like on a FLetcher class destroyer. Possibly I don't follow what the splinter shield looks like but I'll keep researching photos... Clearly I'm not going to be content with just 1 Atlanta kit.

See the 2 bridge faces on this parts tree, part #3 is what Dragon calls for the San Siego, while part #2 is for the Juneau
http://www.modelwarships.com/reviews/ships/cl/cl-53/700-dr/cl53-02b.jpg

And see the Box art, Dragon depicts the the bridge on the San Diego as being flush
http://www.modelwarships.com/reviews/ships/cl/cl-53/700-dr/cl53-01.gif

Better yet, the kit instruction shows the wrong bridge face right?
http://www.modelwarships.com/reviews/ships/cl/cl-53/700-dr/cl53-p-03.jpg

P.S. I swiped these pics from the reviews on this website... all rights reserved and all that ;).

Dick J wrote:
Hi Jeff,

Go to the main page and find "Navsource" (at the bottom of the sponsors). Check out the pictures of the San Diego, CL-53. If you look at the next to last photo, you can see that it was possible to walk around the front of the pilothouse. That walk-around is the step. The metal "railing" around the front is a splinter shield. The Dragon kit is wrong and their boxart is too. The bridge WAS stepped from the day she was completed until she was scrapped. Part #2 is the only one close to accurate. Part #3 is not accurate for any of the class.

Ship Model Gallery

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 363 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next