The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:18 pm 

cgn9slr wrote:
Sad to see her go. I served 27 months aboard in the mid 60's/ worked on the radars in the big box and spent a lot of my free time on the 09 level just above the bridge. Great timed, great memories, great shipmates.
Chuck

Get a lot of movement from wave and wind up that high?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:19 am 
jasonfreeland wrote:
cgn9slr wrote:
Sad to see her go. I served 27 months aboard in the mid 60's/ worked on the radars in the big box and spent a lot of my free time on the 09 level just above the bridge. Great timed, great memories, great shipmates.
Chuck

Get a lot of movement from wave and wind up that high?

Neither pitch nor roll seemed to be too bad even in high winds or heavy seas where large spray made it to about the 06-07 level. She was the only ship I served aboard so I have nothing for comparison.
Amazingly good ride considering the enormous weight of the electronics that high above the water. The 06 and 07 levels were all electronics for the phased array radars. I know the SPS 33 search radar had about 50 large cabinets all water cooled. Used a block and tackle to change the final power output TWT's (one for each side) which sat in 20 gallons of insulating oil. Fortunately didn't have to change them very often.
And I never got seasick!!!!
Chuck

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:18 pm 

was looking at the updated Google maps Sat image for PSNS and CGN9s hull (whats left....) can be seen in drydock, only about half left now....

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Puget+Sound+Naval+Shipyard+and+Intermediate+Maintenance+Facility/@47.5603483,-122.6370325,601m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x54903775de091a23:0x2b99bb40df3c5ffe

1/72 RC USS SAIPAN LHA2
1/72 RC USS JOHN PAUL JONES DDG53
1/72 RC USS SHARK SSN591
1/72 RC USS SEAWOLF SSN21
1/72 RC USS ALBANY CG10

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:17 pm 

Going to order the ISW 1/350 Long Beach. Backing dating during Sea Orbit.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:03 pm 

Just got her today. Post photos Sunday.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:02 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Thanks, David!

The drawings are brilliant. Couldn't ask for better references!

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:00 pm 
I was a Sea and Anchor and regular underway Officer of the Deck from 83-85. She moved like a destroyer and was a real pleasure to drive! Height of eye was 93 feet if I remember correctly. After they took the 32/33 radars off, she was a little quick on the roll. Quite a ride from the 09 level! I was also the Boat Group Officer and GM Division Officer during that time, and I thoroughly enjoyed both jobs. A great ship and top-notch crew. The CO during our 84 deployment was a real gentleman and a heck of a ship driver! He had been part of the commissioning crew and came back as CO!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:21 pm 

RPG,

You can clear up something for me. When did they remove Talos from the Long Beach, and when was the last Talos shot?

What did they do with the Talos missile house space after the launching system was removed?

Thanks,

Phil
www.okieboat.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:19 am 
Phil,

The TALOS launching system was removed during the '80-'83 overhaul at PSNS. The missile house itself became a huge gym on the main deck, below were admin spaces including personnel office, and the Marine detachment office, classrooms, etc. I reported aboard in fall of '82, so the launcher was removed by then. I'm not sure when the last TALOS shot was.

During the '85 refit, the gym was partially consumed by the Tomahawk systems spaces. That was the same time the Armored Box Launchers were installed where the TALOS launcher used to be, thus moving harpoon up to the 02 level aft. It is thus easy to spot a picture from the 83-85 time frame because Harpoon is where the TALOS used to be.

By the way, I remember doing a reenlistment on one of my chiefs on the the bridge of Okieboat when she was in mothballs at PSNS. It was while we were in refit in '85 at PSNS.

RPG

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:27 pm 
diStefan3D
diStefan3D

Looking for accurate dimensions for a missile launcher with the RIM-8 TALOS missile.

Have request to design this for 3D-printing in scale 1/350 USS Long Beach and other models of ships.

Please just need 2d drawing with dimensions.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:17 pm 

I have been looking for blueprints or dimensioned drawings for the Mk 7 launcher for over ten years, with no success.

The thing has almost no right angles and few straight lines - more like a marshmallow. I have tried to guess the dimensions from photos, but I doubt my guesses are very accurate. You can see my best guess here:

http://www.okieboat.com/CAD%20weapons.html

You can visit the USS Little Rock CLG-4 museum ship in Buffalo, New York, and take measurements off the Talos launcher.

The Ordnance Publications (OP) for the entire Talos system have been released to the National Archives - something like 15,000 pages! The Tech Manual for the launcher is in that collection. It will have accurate drawings of the launcher. If you live near College Park, Maryland, you could visit the Archives and copy pages out of the OP.

NOTE: The CG-11 Booklet of General Plans drawings of the Talos launcher are very inaccurate!

Phil

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:58 am 

diStefan wrote:
Looking for accurate dimensions for a missile launcher with the RIM-8 TALOS missile.

Have request to design this for 3D-printing in scale 1/350 USS Long Beach and other models of ships.

Thanks

I'm after a pair of Talos launchers in 1/72.....for CG10 Albany

Also looks like they haven't finished scrapping CGN9 yet...on google earth she has been moved out of the drydock minus bow and stern looks to be just midships section from fwd Reactor space probably back to aft end of second reactor space from my guestimate...

Brue

1/72 RC USS SAIPAN LHA2
1/72 RC USS SHARK SSN591
1/72 RC USS ALBANY CG10

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:17 am 

diStefan wrote:

Thanks

Could you determine the dimensions from photo's taken side on and front on?? If you know the dimensions of the missile on the rail could you then workout the dimensions of the mount?? just a thought!!

Bruce

PS I'm also after the SPG-49 targeting radars....

1/72 RC USS SAIPAN LHA2
1/72 RC USS SHARK SSN591
1/72 RC USS ALBANY CG10

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:38 am 
diStefan3D
diStefan3D

HvyCgn9 wrote:
diStefan wrote:

Thanks

Could you determine the dimensions from photo's taken side on and front on?? If you know the dimensions of the missile on the rail could you then workout the dimensions of the mount?? just a thought!!

Bruce

PS I'm also after the SPG-49 targeting radars....

I'm affraid I can not determine the dimensions from photo's! it's very difficult do that according photos

cg11.pdf from http://www.hnsa.org has inaccurate dimension too!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:49 pm 

I do have dimensioned drawings of the Talos RIM 8G-8J missile - I got them from Buzz Nau, and he has given me permission to release them. However, they are bitmap images that are much too large to post on the forum, and all attempts to reduce them have made the dimensions unreadable.

Contact me through my Contact Page:

http://www.okieboat.com/Contact%20page.html

BE SURE TO INCLUDE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS!!!

I'll send the drawings.

Note: There are dimensioned drawings of Talos on the Internet, and most are inaccurate in one or more ways. Some drawings appear to be based upon the original RIM-6A and RIM-8A prototype missiles. The RIM 8E through 8J missiles were longer than the 8A and were the most common configurations. The RIM-8G-8J drawings Buzz provided were internal Navy drawings and from what I can tell are very accurate.

Phil

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:11 pm 

I just discovered that I have made a 2D drawing from my 3D file of the Mk 7 Talos launcher. I made it about seven years ago and I had forgotten about it. It is too large (550 Kbytes) to post on the forum.

If you want a copy contact me at:

http://www.okieboat.com/Contact%20page.html

I do not know how accurate some of the dimensions are - they came from photoguestimation. But some of the basic dimensions that the estimates were based on came from measurements I made on the launcher of the USS Little Rock CLG-4 museum ship. I'd guess that the overall dimensions are at least 95% accurate.

The Mk 7 launcher was used on the CLGs, CGs and CGN-9.

Phil

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:18 pm 

One thing I should mention - the base cylinder of the missile launcher that is attached to the deck and does not rotate may be different heights for different ships. The entire missile launching system (launcher, internal missile handling rails, missile ready service magazine and the SPG-49 tracking radars) was designed relative to the longitudinal axis of the missiles on the launcher. The blueprints do not tell what the height above the deck is for any of it - they just give the positions relative to the "missile plane."

I am not sure how the thing was assembled on the ship. Apparently they determined the height of the missile plane some way and then just built the rest of it to suit.

So you should check photos for any of the ships to be sure the height of this part is correct. I suspect it is about the same for all Talos CLGs because they had the same launching system. But the CGs and CGN-9 had very different launching systems - but they used the same launcher.

Phil

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:08 am 
diStefan3D
diStefan3D

According to Phil's great drawings 3D model of MK12 Missile launcher with the RIM-8 TALOS missiles are finished.

I have placed scale 1/350 in to my shop http://shpws.me/MN4A

Just let me know If you need a different scales!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:39 pm 

Beautiful model!

One small detail is missing, and it varied from ship to ship. There was a bell or small horn warning signal mounted on the back side of the launcher (opposite to the direction the missiles were pointing). This alarm was sounded any time the launcher was rotating and when the blast doors were opening. The lower blast door opened only a few feet above the deck. It opened very fast - about a second from closed to open. The door weighed a ton or two and was driven by a hydraulic ram. If you were standing under it you wouldn't delay it's progress even a millisecond, and you would be a few feet shorter!

Look at photos of individual ships to see what type of alarm was mounted there.

Phil

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:14 pm 

Greetings! I'm building the Dragon 1/700 model of the Long Beach - 1980 version.

Question: in 1980, what color was the helo landing area? I've seen photos and model builds where it seems to be:

a) a lighter color than the rest of the deck;
b) a darker color than the rest of the deck, almost black; and
c) the same color as the rest of the deck.

What's correct for 1980?

Answers much appreciated. Thanks!

Paul

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next