The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 268 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:33 am 

Haijun watcher wrote:
While COB Constructs and Miniatures' 3D-printed models are imperfect in many ways, their St. Louis/Helena is only about 33 US dollars.

I bought two models in that quality - and the amount of work necessary only to get smooth surfaces is enormous. And top of that, the quality of details of the model by COB is low, because it was designed for much smaller scales. For me it makes no sense at all to buy of the models from this designer. If you try to convert a Pit-Road Cleveland class to a Brooklyn class, you would not have less work.

Post subject: Helena open bridge
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:12 pm 

Any idea on what the open bridge interior looked like or how it was equipped? Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:29 am 

Working on the Niko 1/700 USS Savannah right now- nice kit.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:00 pm 

Yes, that is a nice kit!

I built her:
http://www.modellmarine.de/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3608%3Aamerikanischer-leichter-kreuzer-savannah-1700-niko-models-von-lars-scharff&catid=112%3Alars&Itemid=1

I added two extra 20 mm guns next to the rear superstructure, added the additional closed bridge, and replaced the Seagull by Seahawk planes.

I would recommend to replace the resin 6" barrels by brass barrels. Masters makes them - only for Free Time Hobbbies?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:28 pm 
Nice work!

I was going to make my own barrels, and I have some Trumpeter 1/700 seagulls in the stash. Otherwise I'll probably build it mostly stock.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:31 pm 

Nice work!

I was going to make my own barrels, and I've got some Trumpeter Seagulls in the stash. Otherwise I'll probably build it mostly stock.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:43 am 

I had replaced the Seagulls only, because I had built a lot of USN cruisers with them - therefore I had chosen to depict Savannah in a late fit with Seahawks.

Can you make brass barrels?

Check for the bridge - it could be, that the combination of Seagulls and the bridge depicted in the kit is not possible. As far as I understand it, she got an armoured bridge after the conversion, which was later removed. On Navsource there is a 1945 photo with a open bridge (as in the kit), but with Seahawks. Seahawks are also available from Trumpeter.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:27 pm 

maxim wrote:
Can you make brass barrels?

Actually I make scratch-built models mostly of wood, and if the plastic/resin kit I'm working with might benefit, I make my own barrels as an upgrade.

I have some seahawks too, but I like those seagulls.

If I were doing a scratch-build of Savannah I would represent her as she was during the Sicily campaign. The amount of modification I'm going to do to the kit is limited. It's a project I'm doing while recuperating from some medical issues, so it's going to be mostly from the box. I've also found that the rivet-counter I was becoming for a while was having less fun building models than I used to, so I'm trying to train myself away from the obsession. :p

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 268 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14