PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:46 am 

I finally finished the model.
Attachment:
New_Image_smaller2.jpg
New_Image_smaller2.jpg [ 59.66 KiB | Viewed 8031 times ]

Attachment:
New_Image_smaller3.jpg
New_Image_smaller3.jpg [ 52.76 KiB | Viewed 8031 times ]

Yes, this is our new model kit in 1:350th scale.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:42 am 

Wow!

She looks so much better with the top hamper..

Fritz K.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:51 am 

WOW is right,
When and how much..

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:04 pm 

We start shipping next week, retail is $295.00. More pictures to follow when I get the website updated. You can order from your favorite hobby store, or give us a call!

Cheers
Chris
704-821-7913

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:36 am 

Any chance of a 1/700 cousin?

Planned builds:
3 more 1/700 AH submarines

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:20 am 
Back-Aft Models
Back-Aft Models

Sr. Gopher wrote:
Any chance of a 1/700 cousin?

Gopher,

Admiralty Modelworks makes an excellent 1/700 Worcester resin kit with options to build the Roanoke, too.

Photobucket
https://app.photobucket.com/u/carlomaha

YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4XXgrwKkhbIHgFtIYhAg

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:44 am 

NukeMM wrote:
Admiralty Modelworks makes an excellent 1/700 Worcester resin kit with options to build the Roanoke, too.

Seen here;
http://www.modelwarships.com/reviews/sh ... eview.html

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:38 am 

The YMW 1/350 kit of CL-144 arrived by parcel carrier yesterday from Free Time Hobbies, ex- Pacific Front's inventory sold to them. Very positive ordering-experience with Free Time.

Cursory examination says the kit is in perfect shape.

Initial impression is whelmingly positive; kit, instructions, fittings appear totally top end. A complete kit which is an incredible bargain price and can build OOTB into a true showpiece.

There used to be a 1/32 builder's model of Worcester on display in Chicago's Museum of Science And Industry and it was viewed with awe many, many, many times, over the decades (until it went away, sob).

In this opinion, CL-144 and -145 were arguably the handsomest cruisers ever to grace the waves.

Enormous thanks to YMW for producing this beauty.

Acquisition of the 1/700 is likely....

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:28 pm 

James Hood wrote:
In this opinion, CL-144 and -145 were arguably the handsomest cruisers ever to grace the waves.

Agreed. They had the beauty of the Juneau class (Atlanta/Oakland looked a little top-heavy with the raised #2 and #4 mounts), the caliber of the Cleveland class, yet they could put as furious a fight up as the Baltimores. The only other exception I know of to these beauties are the Des Moines class cruisers

Planned builds:
3 more 1/700 AH submarines

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:44 pm 

All is not lost! The builder's model of USS Worcester that was in Chicago now is on exhibit at the museum in the Washington Navy Yard.

If humanity wishes to preserve a planet similar to that on which civilization developed and to which life on Earth is adapted, [atmospheric] CO2 will need to be reduced from its current 385 ppm to at most 350 ppm.
Dr James Hansen, NASA, 2008.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:07 am 
The only other exception I know of to these beauties are the Des Moines class cruisersImage

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:56 pm 

I'm on another 3D building spree, and I'm going over all my cruiser models and adding various details to them. Right now I'm looking for info on where exactly I should be adding searchlights and directors, as I've just finished making some after much procrastination... I'm looking to build as close to how they'd have looked if they actually made it for WW2, since I haven't been able to make a decent 3-inch gun yet. :) Does anyone have any decent pictures of the midships area and masts?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:50 pm 
SebastianP - go to www.ussworcester.com - I've posted some of the photos that my dad and his shipmates took of the masts and funnels.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:05 am 

Thanks for the link - whereabouts in the archive do I find the images you speak of, though? I'm mostly finding only pictures of sailors, not the ship behind them... :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:35 am 

Sorry guys to bump a really old thread, but wanted to see if anyone could help me with this. I've found what looks like a copy of CL-144's booklet of general plans (outboard profile only) -- but unfortunately the resolution is super low, and the text isn't readable for the most part. I'm wondering if anyone here knows where to find the original, or if anybody has a scanned copy at a higher res.

Here's the full-size image I have (which is frustratingly blurry): https://i.imgur.com/c8Ihra3.jpg

I'm also looking for front views of the 3"/50 Mark 27/33 mount, and any dimensioned drawings of the Mark 56 director (surprisingly difficult to find info on these).

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:18 pm 

Sent you a PM :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:59 pm 

Another query for you guys: does anyone have any good photos or plans of the SR-3 and SR-6 radars?

Friedman's Naval Radars has the following:
Quote:
SR-3, SR-6
L-band (25cm) long-range air search radars, SR-6 being a lightweight version. Original plans called for cylindrical parabolic antennas, 17ft x 2ft and 10ft x 2ft and 750lb and 500lb respectively, the SRb mattress weighing 711lb. L-band was chosen at the end of World War II to achieve solid radar coverage with a minimum of fading. In this it was successful, but the new antennas chosen performed poorly, one postwar report speaking of 'not enough antenna', for an average range of only 20-30nm - far short of expectations.

At 500kW, and with 4- and 1-microsecond pulses, PRF 150 and 600, SR-3 was to duplicate SK performance, giving 100nm on a bomber at 10,000ft and 80 on a fighter, with a far better beam shape (3 degrees x 65 degrees). Production versions used slotted waveguide antennas with small angled reflectors, SR-3 actually producing a 4 degree x 38 degree beam with a gain of about 200. SR-6, 10ft x 2-1/2ft and 375lb, produced an 8 degree x 34 degree beam of 2-microsecond pulses (PRF 290-310), giving fighter detection at 40nm. Accuracy and resolution of SR-3 were 100 and 200yds, and 2 degree and 1 degree.

The rotation rate of 2.5 or 5rpm was considered too low to counter jets, and both sets had short lives. They were installed as successors to SC and SK during 1947-48, and at the end of 1948 SR-3 was aboard the experimental ship Mississippi, the three Midway class carriers, two battleships, and eleven heavy and five light cruisers, the smaller SR-6 being aboard one light cruiser, one destroyer tender, 38 destroyers, one DDE and two DMs. On 25 April 1948, however, the CNO ordered the replacement of SKs to be stopped in view of deficiencies in the new sets. Existing SR-3s and SR-6s were fitted with the new parabolic SPS-6 series antennas as SR-3B (SPS-6B antenna) and SR-6A (SPS-6A antenna). Alternate modifications were SR-3A (-6A antenna), SR-3C (-6C antenna), and SR-6B (-6B antenna). Other SR-3 modifications included new plumbing and a new pedestal. Westinghouse.

CL-144 was the "one light cruiser" fitted with SR-6 in 1948, as far as I can tell (based on photos of the ship and a mention in Friedman's Cruisers). I can't seem to find good photos of this antenna, though -- anyone have any ideas?

The "antenna catalog" PDF I've found mentions several antennas associated with the SR-3 and SR-6, but sadly the photos are blanked out (likely scanning issue on the original).

SR-3 antennas:
- Antenna 66ALN: "collinear array of dipoles with a corner reflector"; description: "The antenna consists of a collinear array of dipoles, mounted on and probe-fed from a 17-1/2 foot section of rectangular waveguide. A V-shaped section of perforated, stainless steel is mounted on the waveguide section to form a corner reflector behind the dipole array. Each dipole is enclosed in a protective cover."

- Antenna 66AMD: "mattress antenna"; description: "The antenna consists of a flat screen reflector with a horizontal row of four dipoles mounted in front of it. The overall antenna is 120-1/4 inches wide by 36 inches high by 16-3/4 inches deep. The total weight is 193 pounds."; Miscellaneous: "The 66AMD is the Mark 3 IFF antenna normally used with Navy Model SR-3 Radar Equipment."

SR-6 antennas:

- Antenna 66AMV-(*): "collinear array of dipoles with a corner reflector"; description: "The antenna consists of a collinear of 12 dipoles mounted in and probe fed by a section of rectangular waveguide approximately 9-1/2 feet long. A V-shaped section with a mesh reflecting surface is mounted on the waveguide section to form a corner reflector behind the dipole array. Each dipole is enclosed in a protective cover. The overall antenna is 19-5/8 inches high by 112-3/16 inches long by 23 inches deep, and the total weight is 80 pounds."

- Antenna 66AME: "mattress antenna"; description: "The antenna consists of a flat screen reflector with a horizontal row of eight dipoles mounted in front of it. The overall antenna is 21-3/4 inches high by 66 inches wide by 9-3/8 inches deep. The total weight is 43 pounds."; miscellaneous: "The 66AME is the Mark 4 IFF antenna normally used with Navy Models SR-3 and SR-6 Radar Equipment."

Thanks as always!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:36 am 

Many of the late 1940's (post-WWII) early 1950's radars are a confusing group to identify and to find good info on. The SR-3 and SR-6 are no exception.

I have several images of destroyers with the early SR-6 radar antenna before it was replaced with a SPS-6 antenna, The early unsuccessful version used the bedspring reflector used on late WWII SR radars. Except that the IFF array was mounted at the bottom of the antenna. The "bedspring" antennas were pretty quickly replaced with SPS-6 antennas, I think in 1949 and 1950. The SR-3 was mounted on several larger units as you reference in your post above. I looked at a couple of these ships and it appears that the same SR bedspring antenna was used, but with a larger (longer) IFF array. See attached image below of the SR-3 installed on USS NEWPORT NEWS (CA-148).

Trying to answer your question is a little tricky, given the short duration of use of the original SR-6 antenna on USN ships.

First off, are you trying to draw an illustration of USS WORCESTER (CL-144) in 1948 or at some other point in her career?

Second, here are images of USS WORCESTER shortly after she was commissioned and her sister USS ROANOKE (CL-145) in 1950 and 1951. USS ROANOKE appears to have already had the SPS-6 antenna installed. USS WORCESTER doesn't appear to have a "bedspring" SR-6 antenna, nor does she appear to have the "standard" SPS-6 antenna yet. I can't be sure, but the antenna looks more like a SR-2 radar antenna than anything else I can find. Although the SR-2 was supposedly NOT installed on many ships (MIDWAY class carriers, USS SAIPAN, one CA, and seven CL's). See the image below of USS MIDWAY showing the SR-2. It could be that the USN tried a SR-2 antenna with the SR-3 or SR-6 radar as away to improve performance??? Where did you locate info that USS WORCESTER had a SR-6 radar installed and that she wasn't one of the units to receive the SR-2 radar??? USS WORCESTER had this antenna (and radar?) replaced by the standard SPS-6B/C antenna in the early 1950's

Both cruisers have the SG-6 surface search radar installed. The SG-6 had both a fan beam surface search antenna and a zenith search antenna.

USS WORCESTER was commissioned on 26 June 1948

USS ROANOKE (CL-145) was commissioned on 4 April 1949

(excuse my miss spelling of her name on the caption)

Here is an image of the USS HYMAN (DD-732) in September 1948 with the SR-6 radar with the early antenna and the WWII SG-1b surface search radar. I don't see the SR-6 antenna radar anywhere on USS WORCESTER as commissioned or during 1949.

Here is a cropped view of USS MIDWAY with the SR-2 radar antenna installed in 1946.

The best image of the SR-3 that I could locate on USS NEWPORT NEWS (CA-148) on 29 January 1949.

Attachment:
zCA148x5crop-29Jan49.jpg
zCA148x5crop-29Jan49.jpg [ 70.6 KiB | Viewed 5352 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:54 pm 

Quote:
First off, are you trying to draw an illustration of USS WORCESTER (CL-144) in 1948 or at some other point in her career?

You guessed it ;) -- I'm working on several variations of the ship throughout her (short) career. So far I've identified several versions I'd like to cover (1948 as launched, 1950, and 1952). The SR-6 antenna is holding me up from posting the series so far.

Quote:
USS WORCESTER doesn't appear to have a "bedspring" SR-6 antenna, nor does she appear to have the "standard" SPS-6 antenna yet. I can't be sure, but the antenna looks more like a SR-2 radar antenna than anything else I can find.

CL-144 was definitely commissioned the SR-2 antenna on the foremast. Friedman's Cruisers mentions the SR-6 being mounted on a small stub mast forward of the second funnel -- visible in your shot of CL-144 at Puerto Rico, and in several others.

Here's a scan of the mention in Friedman's Cruisers, which calls out both: (rather large scan link here)

Interestingly the "as built" plans I found of CL-144 show the stub mainmast with (what I now understand to be SR-6) atop it, though the text is not readable:

Here's another photo I found of the ship "as launched" (though no specific info beyond this unfortunately), which shows SR-6 on the stub mast:

Photos of the builder's model of CL-144 show what I think is the SR-3 antenna in this position (maybe a last minute change or a lack of GFE antennas? Rick is the expert here on how the yards went about this so curious what he thinks):

---

Friedman's Naval Radar states that the SR-6 was upgraded with the SPS-6 antennas (the comment about "not enough antenna" is interesting). It looks to me like Worcester received this upgrade sometime in 1950 (not sure on exact dates though). Below is a crop of NH 91832 of CL-144 in the Med, June 1950, with the SPS-6-type antenna barely visible (painted black):

---

Anyway -- the photos you've posted (as always) are immensely helpful... I'll give drawing the antenna a shot and then post my results here. Thanks Rick!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:21 am 

Trying to figure out radar suites in the 1946-50 era can be very difficult. There were several "new" radar systems that were in development during WWII that were completed post-war and built in limited numbers as newer and better radars were developed. The SR-3 antenna does puzzle me. I wonder if the long array at the bottom is actually a transmitter/receiver antenna. The bedspring and dipoles above it just don't look to be adequate as an "air search radar". The top antenna could be the IFF antenna.

Identifying these radars is made more difficult by a lack of references with images or drawings of ALL the radars in use. Friedman has the "facts", but he doesn't have many images he can use in his "NAVAL RADAR" book(s). It is a strange location to put a "backup" air search radar. Because of radar breakdowns or damage, most of the larger USN ships utilized two air search radars and two surface search radars. Plus, compared to after the Korean War started, there aren't as many photos of USN ships from 1946-50.

Without going into USS WORCESTER's BuShips files at NARA, which I have not done, I can't say why she got a SR-6 radar instead of the SR-3. I'm going to guess that after the installation of the SR-3 on several ships with the original antenna and finding the performance to be terrible, that the SR-3 production was terminated and there wasn't one to install on WORCESTER when she was commissioned/fitted out. The follow-on SPS-6 radar (or SR-3 radar with the SPS-6 antenna) wasn't available, so the SR-6 was installed as an interim measure. The only way to know when WORCESTER upgraded her radars, is looking in the BuShips files and finding her Departure Reports or other documentation. During the post-WWII period, regular overhauls were scheduled every two years. But, new built ships would have had a "Post-Shakedown Availability" within a year of her completing "Fitting-Out". Plus, as a "new type", likely additional yard periods were required to fix issues. WORCESTER's DANFS gives some clues. She had her Post-Shakedown Availability likely in early 1949, went on her first operational tour in late 1949 and returned to Norfolk and then Philadelphia in December 1949. So I will guess that her radar upgrade(s) were done in early 1950 at either of those places.

It is not possible to know which radar (equipment) was below the SPS-6A/B/C antenna on destroyers and larger ships without BuShips textual records or labeled antenna survey photos.

I see that late in her career, that WORCESTER had the Air Search Radar before the second stack replaced by ECM antennas.

Here are a few more views of the SR-6 antenna on various destroyers, frontal, rear, and side views

Attachments:
zDDR874x17crop-22Aug49.jpg
zDDR874x17crop-22Aug49.jpg [ 77.23 KiB | Viewed 6676 times ]
zDD868x15crop-11May49.jpg
zDD868x15crop-11May49.jpg [ 153.25 KiB | Viewed 6676 times ]
zDDR874x21crop-18Oct49.jpg
zDDR874x21crop-18Oct49.jpg [ 120.89 KiB | Viewed 6676 times ]