The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:47 am 
Please, if possibly, can somebody help with the hull lines of the IJN Katori (the training cruiser)? ...Got this model (Aoshima) for my birthday and plan to build it as full-hull one - using Jeff Lin's masterpiece as a "guide" - but don't have proper lower hull info, especially the stern area...

MODERATOR EDIT: We are splitting apart the IJN Light Cruiser topic. This one will be for the Tenryu, Katori, Yubari and Oyodo class cruisers. More posts to be moved over as time allows.

Available Kits:

Gallery

A superb 1-700 Katori 1941 by Milan Kuliffay: http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... /index.htm
Jeff Lin's 1-700 Kashima 1941: http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html
A 1-700 Kashima by Alec Cap: http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:59 pm 

The Hara Shobo planset is the only one that I can think of with hull lines below the waterline. Too big to scan.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:36 am 
Dan K wrote:
The Hara Shobo planset is the only one that I can think of with hull lines below the waterline. Too big to scan.

Thank you... understand.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:34 am 

Does anyone have a decent line drawing or photo of Tenryu? I am looking at doing the Hasagawa 1/700th kit of her. I would like to build her in the 1941 to 1942 time frame. I am having problems with the bridge structure. The box are shows an open sided structure, but the kits line drawing shows a plated over structure.
L&W is not to helpfull for this ship.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:37 am 

the foto are not clear but the 3 drawing (from russian and polish sources) can help
ciao peppe

Attachments:
File comment: from russian pubblication mk on yubari and tatsuta class
rColor2.jpg
rColor2.jpg [ 69.19 KiB | Viewed 3769 times ]
File comment: from russian book of apalkov on japanese cruisers of ww2
rTenryu_1s.jpg
rTenryu_1s.jpg [ 104.08 KiB | Viewed 3769 times ]
File comment: from a polish magazine
rTenryu_1939.gif
rTenryu_1939.gif [ 63.15 KiB | Viewed 3769 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:55 pm 

:thumbs_up_1:
Thanks Peppe, these help..... Plastic has been cut and construction started on Tenryu.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 6:16 am 

Hobby Search Japan got a nice pictrure of IJN Kashima of the upcoming new IJN Katori class in 1/700 from Aoshima:

And the new IJN Katori in early war config this time by Aoshima in 1/700:

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:16 pm 

Great pics. Thx for posting, Atma.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:41 pm 

Atma wrote:
Hobby Search Japan got a nice pictrure of IJN Kashima of the upcoming new IJN Katori class in 1/700 from Aoshima:

And the new IJN Katori in early war config this time by Aoshima in 1/700:

HLJ just posted photos of the wood deck and PE for these kits: http://www.hlj.com/product/AOS05027

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:01 am 

IJN Kashii in 1941.
Notice the degaussing cable in IJN Kashii, possible to IJN Katori and IJN Kashima ? Aoshima offers them without it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:54 am 

IJN Katori from Aoshima in 1/700 is out:
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10144544
IJN Kashima will follow in August.

Also the PE set for the IJN Katori class is out:
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10144557
Enjoy !

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:26 am 

And finnaly IJN Kashima is out, link:
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10144547
Enjoy !

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:06 pm 

The new Aoshima 1:700 IJN Kashima, a Katori-class light cruiser, arrived here at the office today, the model finally following an earlier shipment of the wood deck and PE set from HLJ. I wanted to offer some first impressions - as expected and long desired, this is a significant upgrade over the former Aoshima releases of this class (those kits are some of the oldest and most disappointing molds in the WL series).

Aoshima's releases of the Katori and Kashima (DanK says the Kashi, in yet a third, intriguing version, will also be released) are somewhat unique from one another - the Kashima has parts for a late-war build, and the Katori kit is intended as an early-war build - it omits parts that allow you to build a late-war version OOB.

The chief difference between the two kits appears to be additional gun platforms and shields of various types which are included in the Kashima kit. The Kashima has a heavier forward mast design and Type 13 radar, and subsitutes AA weapons for the twin torpedo tubes of the Katori. Additionally, the stern of the Kashima includes detailed depth charge equipment not included with the Katori.

I only have the Kashima kit on hand, but have been comparing with photos of parts and instructions on the Hobby Search website - I've included links below for you to take your own look there at photos and instructions.

The Kashima kit includes the hull (labeled "A") 3 main sprues ("B," "C" and "G"), a transparent sprue with the bridge windows ("I"), a one-piece "D" sprue that is the superstructure under the funnel, and the standard detailing sprue "W" with a variety of AA/ships boats, etc. Katori appears to come with the "A," "B," and "C" sprues, a smaller alternate sprue to "G," and an added sprue with additional mast parts, as well as sprue "W.".

The differences between these two builds can be noted in a comparison of the instructions for each of these ships. Assembly steps 8, 11, 16, 17, 20 and 21 of the Kashima instructions are focal points for the differences between these kits.

Some specific notes on the Kashima:

1) One-piece hull with WL plate. Portholes are well-scaled and detailed with molded-on gutters. Degaussing cable also molded in place, and is more finely cast than the cable in my PE stash. Portholes at the level closest to waterline are molded with covers in place - subtle, but noticeable. Stern anchors are cast in place. Very impressive upgrade over the former kit.

2) Main deck is cast in three pieces. Hard to tell from parts on the sprue if the joint seam toward the stern will be noticeable - it is likely hidden by the aft superstructure. There is a mix of cast-on and add-on details on/for the deck pieces; what is cast in place is well-detailed and will be worth the effort to mask around for deck painting. Baseplates for guns, splinter shields, winches, etc, appear worth leaving in place and working around. And, yes, an accurate step-down from the fore-deck to the main deck level. The deck pieces are different between the Kashima and Katori - the Kashima includes cast-in-place splinter guards mid-ships and mounting locations for depth charges and racks on the stern. The bow deck appears common to both kits.

3) Twin 14 cm main turrets are well molded with details, and the gun barrels include molded-on blast bags. My gut reaction, which is likely completely inaccurate, was that these main turrets, in toto, look undersized. When I post photos, I'd welcome your opinion. Given all that appears improved and correct about this kit, it would be odd for Aoshima to mess up the main armament. So I expect that they will stand the test of other impressions/documentation. I do think the main turrets look appropriately sized in the manufacturer's photos.

4) Funnel is cast in three main pieces, capturing distinctive internal piping.

5) Bridge assembles from multiple pieces and is well detailed, far different than the former version of this kit. The bridge has been the focal point of strong criticisms of the earlier version of the kit (see here: http://smmlonline.com/articles/katori/katori.html). I'll need to lay out pieces off the sprue to assess any progress with this mold to a more accurate, documented shape, but the bridge now builds from 9 major parts and presumably Aoshima made accurate improvements here.

6) A lot of single, double and triple AA armament on the sprues, and the instructions show you where to place the full lot of it, so, per instructions, OOB, this builds to a late-war version. Triple, Double and Single AA is not is fine as FineMolds or PE options, but an improvement over the "W" sprue moldings.

Here are photos and instructions from Hobby Search that will give some context to my comments above:
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10144547a/20/1

At HLJ's website, you can see the major sprue that is different between the Kashima and Katori: http://www.hlj.com/product/AOS04542

And here are photos and instructions for the lead ship, Katori:
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10144544a/20/1

And here is a photo of the Kotari's distinctive "early war" sprue at HLJ:
http://www.hlj.com/product/AOS04541

To summarize, the Katori kit is packaged as an early-war build, the Kashima as a late-war build. It would be easier to back-date the Kashima kit - it is missing the simplified early-war mast and does not include torpedo tubes - whereas the Katori is missing detailed gun platforms and the more complex mast.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:25 pm 

Nice write-up, D-Boy.

I’ve always liked their look, though not the original kit. The new Ship Modeling Special #41 is all about the Katori class and covers all three sisters, and new Aoshima kits to match. Kashii is in mid-1942 rig, and the kit comes with the dummy funnel set-up as seen in a known photo, along with upper yardarms. Similar to the Graf Spee dummy funnel & #2 turret rig. Very cool kit provision on Aoshima’s part.

Attachments:
Kashii with dummy funnel, 9-21-42.jpg
Kashii with dummy funnel, 9-21-42.jpg [ 42.62 KiB | Viewed 3858 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:18 pm 

Does the Aoshima kit has the extra dummy funnel too ?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:11 pm 

Atma wrote:
Does the Aoshima kit has the extra dummy funnel too ?

I understand from DanK's post, and reference to Model Art Special's latest issue (#41), that the dummy funnel does come with the to-be-released Aoshima Kashi kit. That said, HLJ staff have no date yet for release of the Kashi.

If included, it will make each of these kits distinct from one another: early war, late war, and special modification.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:15 pm 

Dan K wrote:
Nice write-up, D-Boy.

I’ve always liked their look, though not the original kit. The new Ship Modeling Special #41 is all about the Katori class and covers all three sisters, and new Aoshima kits to match. Kashii is in mid-1942 rig, and the kit comes with the dummy funnel set-up as seen in a known photo, along with upper yardarms. Similar to the Graf Spee dummy funnel & #2 turret rig. Very cool kit provision on Aoshima’s part.

Here's a link to the Graf Spee dummy efforts: http://www.deutschland-class.dk/admiral_graf_spee/gallery/gallgrafspeeindisquise.html

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:47 am 

MASMS #41 has a pic of a small special sprue with the dummy funnel, and Kashii 1942 specific masts on it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:04 am 

Dan K wrote:
Kashii is in mid-1942 rig, and the kit comes with the dummy funnel set-up as seen in a known photo, along with upper yardarms. Similar to the Graf Spee dummy funnel & #2 turret rig. Very cool kit provision on Aoshima’s part.

That is a nice touch. Kudos to Aoshima. I agree they are neat looking ships. Would love to see them in 1/350 as well.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:33 pm 
Dan K wrote:
MASMS #41 has a pic of a small special sprue with the dummy funnel, and Kashii 1942 specific masts on it.

Navy Yard Issue #11, summer 2009 has a short article and color photos of the Katori, Kashima, and Kashi. Unclear from the photos if these were old kits with extensive scratch or early pilots of the new kits. Notably, all three ships have been painted as if the top most bridge decks were linoleum decking (bringing some additional color to the model), and the Kashi is depicted with two three-dimensional funnels. Pages 74-75 if you want to check out the photos (or translate!).