The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 469 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 24  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:53 pm 

Use imgur gents. ;)

http://www.imgur.com/

If you make an account, it offers unlimited extremely high resolution uploads, with no limit on storage space - it also isn't swamped with ads and intrusive malware. It allows drag and drop uploads too. As an example of imgur's power, take a look at this quick album I made in several seconds of some 6000x4000 pixel JPEGs of the FARRAGUT class: http://imgur.com/a/R8Bdd Right click on any picture in Chrome and hit "open image in new tab" for the full size version.

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:50 pm 

I have an account with Imgur as well. But, as bad as Photobucket is and I have had A LOT of problems with them including catching a "Browser Stealer" on my PC laptop, Imgur is a BIGGER pain to use for posting images on places like Modelwarships. At least for me.

If you want to store images on some unknown server somewhere in the world that can disappear at any time and share with everyone like Facebook or whatever, Imgur is fine. But, it is impossible to post the large files I scan at 600 dpi on Modelwarships from Imgur. It just can't be done. Modelwarships has limits to posted images, to use Imgur I have to go through several hoops to get my image to the right "size". With all the problems with Photobucket, all I need to do is upload images to Photobucket, and select the IMG link and paste it into my posting. Photobucket automatically posts the image in a downsized size no matter what size I uploaded and it is seamless. With Imgur I have to calculate and downsize images before uploading so it can be posted via IMG. Which normally means trial and error. Imgur has crude controls and options that mostly don't work as I assume they are suppose to.

When I look at software "applications", I evaluate them as how good of a TOOL they are for me to use, not as something I need to spend three to thirty times as long to get what I'm trying to do. I want to spend my time researching and passing info I learn onto others, not playing with getting software to do something. :smallsmile:

I avoid issues with Photobucket malware by ONLY posting from my iMac. I NEVER access Photobucket on my PC laptop. And I have kept Windows 7 on my laptop to avoid the issues that Windows 10 have with many programs.

I wish there was a better posting program than Photobucket and Imgur, but right now Photobucket is still easier to use for me ... until the next upgrade to "better serve our users" FUBR's everything. :scratch:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:16 am 

Rick,

I appreciate the problem of sharing images and information with others.

I don't have a problem with posting reduced size images on the ship model forum. I don't post enough images that the small amount of time it takes to reduce them to below 1200x1200 pixels and 150 Kbytes is a problem. I usually keep them below 900 pixels wide so they display without having to scroll on just about anything.

But my real reason for posting small images is to reduce Internet overhead and allow faster transfers.

If someone wants a larger image they can contact me through email and I will send them. Of course, you are limited by the maximum size of file transfer allowed by your email account. Gmail allows up to 15 Mbytes at a time. I have few if any images larger than that, especially black and white. Fortunately, I use my company's servers and the only size limit is the amount of free space on our email server's hard drive at the time - usually a bit less than a terrabyte.

However, some of my scanned blueprints are hundreds of megabytes and the only way to share them is by CD/DVD.

I abhor web sites like Photobucket and Facebook. They exist to promote advertising and gather information about users. Big Brother is watching. I will not use these sites.

Phil

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:46 am 

The restriction is with the ModelWarships forum software, not with imgur. ;) You can also link to the imgur.com photo album itself (which displays a resized small version that fits inside a mandatory 1000px~ template) - from that page you can zoom into the photo in question, or save a copy. Having a restriction set in the ModelWarships forum software is probably a legacy of the early days when ISPs limited downloads and most of us were on 56kbps dial up. Even "slow" internet in the USA these days can download a 30MB PDF in under a minute (and the US has some of the worst internet speeds in the world)!

Yes - Imgur's primary use seems to be posting memes and curated content to social media sites - but its capability as an image host is unsurpassed.

Another option (and if you are a serious researcher wanting to share lots of high-res content often) is to buy server space from a hosting company like Dreamhost. They'll give you FTP access to the server and you can quite literally upload as much as you want and share as many huge files as you want, since most of these hosting companies have to offer unlimited storage space and unlimited bandwidth to paying customers. The cost is usually on the order of $5-10 per month. Pennies to most of us (eat one less cheeseburger per month). I use this option to share 300MB TIFF and PDF images with a separate group regularly.

Anyway, I don't want to derail this thread any further - if you guys are interested in discussing this shoot me a PM. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:01 am 

Quote; "You can also link to the imgur.com photo album itself (which displays a resized small version that fits inside a mandatory 1000px~ template) - from that page you can zoom into the photo in question, or save a copy."

Easier said than done. I played with Imgur "settings" and templates for a couple of hours + and couldn't either get it to work or much less figure out how to use them. There are no instructions. As I said I need tools, not a new hobby figuring out poorly designed software. The E-Mail ISP providers going to IMAP protocol (storing all of your E-Mail on a sever somewhere and downloading every time you access it, unless you manually download and save them to your computer) instead of POP protocol (downloads your incoming messages directly on your computer) is causing me all kinds of problems sending attachments now. I send a 20MB image to someone or a group of someones and it shows up as taking 12x OR MORE that much space of my allocated E-Mail storage. After a few hours or a few DAYS the ISP and IMAP figure out that I'm not using that much space and drop the alert that I'm at HIGH WATER. Neither Apple or Roadrunner tech support have a clue why this is happening or how to let me switch back to POP mail. Which TECHNICALLY I should have that option in their setup menu.

A personal server account is fine if you want your know webpage. That involves another hobby to learn. Plus, once you die and no longer are paying for it ... it goes away. Dave McComb a very smart guy had his known Destroyer History Website. He spent hours filling it with very useful information. Then the host website software was no longer being supported. Bingo he spent many hours starting to RE-HOST everything. Then he got cancer and died. His wife is still paying for the website to be up and available. But, it no longer is being updated and doesn't have half of the images he had from his old website.

Cost isn't the issue. Time wasting dealing with poor designed software, is a REAL issue for me.

But as you say, enough on this. :scratch:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:01 pm 

I get it, definitely. Learning new stuff is a pain in the ass, especially when you'd rather spend time on useful stuff like the actual research. Sadly Photobucket seems to be forcing our hand these days... I won't be surprised if they start charging for use of their services soon.

---

Anyway, to bring us back on topic here's an imgur album of some of the high-res shots I've assembled of HOUSTON (CL-81) during various projects. I hope it's useful to someone!

http://imgur.com/a/2w8Sy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:55 am 

... and in an entirely unsurprising move, Photobucket has now disabled hotlinking to your images stored online! :heh: I literally predicted it four days ago in this thread! Truly incredible - their slide from being an easy and convenient image host into the slime they are now has been interesting to watch (and also very sad).

Rick - looks like all of your excellent images in every thread are now gone, replaced with a warning to enable hotlinking on your photobucket account - oh, and it's only $400 per year!

I hope they go out of business.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:03 pm 

See my post in the main page.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:06 pm 

I posted in here several months ago about doing a 1/700 USS Houston CL-81. Haven't really seen much, but is there any Cleveland class kit available that could be made into CL-81?

in progress:
1/700 USS Montana BB-67
1/700 USS Houston CL-81

Waiting Drydock
1/700 USS Guam CB-2
1/700 Sigourney DD-643
1/700 USS South Dakota BB-49

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:39 am 

Betelguese90 wrote:
is there any Cleveland class kit available that could be made into CL-81?

The Pit-Road USS Miami (CL-89) kit would be your best bet. It was also released under the Midships label. It may be out of production at the moment, but you might be able to find one somewhere.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:44 am 

Dick J wrote:
Betelguese90 wrote:
is there any Cleveland class kit available that could be made into CL-81?

The Pit-Road USS Miami (CL-89) kit would be your best bet. It was also released under the Midships label. It may be out of production at the moment, but you might be able to find one somewhere.

OK, now its a matter of finding said model. So far no hits on it, but its a possible future build so I will just keep looking around.

in progress:
1/700 USS Montana BB-67
1/700 USS Houston CL-81

Waiting Drydock
1/700 USS Guam CB-2
1/700 Sigourney DD-643
1/700 USS South Dakota BB-49

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:24 am 

Probably the most noticeable difference between the Miami and the Houston was the trash burner pipe.

Most Clevelands had the trash burner at the rear of the midships deck house and the trash burner pipe on the aft smoke pipe (funnel). Early on it was on the port side but later ships had it running up the front of the aft smoke pipe.

But the Houston was built in the Newport News shipyard, and they put the trash burner farther forward in the deckhouse and ran the pipe forward to the forward smoke pipe and up on the port side of the boiler blow off steam escape pipe.

This is very noticeable in profile views. All Newport News Clevelands, and only Newport News Clevelands, had the trash burner pipe on the forward smoke pipe.

Phil

Attachments:
USS Houston CL-81 trash burner pipe.jpg
USS Houston CL-81 trash burner pipe.jpg [ 116.73 KiB | Viewed 2867 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:46 am 

Betelguese90 wrote:

OK, now its a matter of finding said model. So far no hits on it, but its a possible future build so I will just keep looking around.

Mr. Betelguese,

I sent you a PM about possibly selling you the Pit-Road/Skywave 1/700 Miami kit I have. I have pictures, if you want. It's opened and the parts are spray-painted, but otherwise it is un-assembled and complete.

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:44 pm 

Hi Everyone,

We used to develop 1/700 USS Gearing class plastic kit and we are planning to release USS Cleveland class kit.
The plan of CL56 Columbia caused a big problem when we try to modeling. The left side of the ribs are different from two views. It is obvious that we lost some parts of the plan and you could find the details in the following pictures.
We are writing to enquire you about how to deal with the problem, more specific data and plans or other version of the two warships which can help us to modeling.
xinkai.zuo@snowman-model.com
snowmanmodel@hotmail.com

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:46 pm 

Snowman,

Although all of the Clevelands were generally the same, there are several significant variants.

Cleveland CL-55 and Columbia CL-56 had more variations from the following ships. They had boat cranes and a boat farm midships. All of the Clevelands had a rounded armored pilot house up to USS Mobile CL-63. The boat cranes and boat farms were removed from later ships.

USS Vincennes CL-64 had a trapezoidal pilot house and bridge, and narrower bridge wings - the heavy armored pilot house was omitted from CL-64 and all subsequent Cleveland class ships. All of these ships had 5"/38 gun mounts 4 and 5 moved aft 16 feet, and the positions of the Mk34 main battery director and the Mk37 secondary battery director positions were reversed.

There were other significant differences, including visible variations between ships constructed in different shipyards. Later ships had the rangefinders removed from 6"/47 turret #1, and some had one catapult removed. As the war progressed many changes were made to the basic design, and in some cases these changes were retrofitted to earlier ships. Later ships had dual 40mm gun tubs on the stern, and a few earlier ships were retrofitted with these guns.

I think it is safe to say that no two Clevelands were exactly alike, and figuring out the differences can be frustrating. So you need to decide which ship(s) to model, and when in the service history.

Phil

Last edited by DrPR on Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:52 am 

Email received, thanks a lot.
DavidP wrote:
CL-89 – USS Miami Booklet of General Plans, 1946 Booklet of General Plans, 1946 http://www.hnsa.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/cl89.pdf email sent with frame lines drawing.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:51 pm 

Late to the party gentlemen. I maintain the USS Astoria CL-90 site and am eye-deep in a book about her crew's war experience.

Couple of quick thoughts:
I went back through this entire thread (whew! 11 years) and didn't see any discussion of the aircraft recovery crane as an identifying feature. The Fore River ships used a plate construction that is very distinctive from the tubular construction of the other yards. Vincennes, Pasadena, Springfield and Topeka all have this distinctive feature.

Some interesting tidbits on design evolution. When the rounded bridge was replaced by the open bridge to reduce topside weight, the result was severe concussion blast when the secondary battery was fired in antiaircraft capacity. Astoria's CAPT George Dyer wrote to BuShips that he was getting "knocked on his fanny" and equipment was breaking loose. Some skippers elected to abandon the open bridge in action.
During her shakedown cruise, Astoria damaged the single 20mm Oerlikon mounts surrounding her aft main battery turrets during gunnery exercises. This may have played a role in their removal and replacement by twin Bofors fore and aft post-shakedown, as it certainly added topside weight.

And because she was outfitted with Kingfishers rendering the hangar inaccessible by aircraft, Astoria's crew turned it into a basketball court.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:20 pm 

Brent,

Welcome!

I can verify the unpleasant effects of the 5"/38 gunfire on the bridge. During Naval Gunfire Support operations in Vietnam we sometimes engaged targets abaft abeam - "shooting over the shoulder." From my watch station on the bridge I could look into the open ends of the gun barrels only about 15 feet away. When the guns fired it was deafening* - and the OK City had an enclosed bridge outside the pilot house.

We had only the one dual 5"/38 mount, and NGFS wasn't as rapid fire as antiaircraft fire in WWII. The open bridge on the Clevelands wouldn't be habitable with six guns firing rapidly.

If you haven't seen Brent's USS Astoria CL-90 "Mighty 90" web page, be sure to visit it. His collection of ship's photos from WWII is exceptional!

http://www.mighty90.com/

Phil

* Quite literally. I lost all hearing above about 1 KHz, a high pitched male voice, and I have constant ringing in my ears. Before Vietnam I had hearing up to 18 KHz.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:49 pm 

Hearing loss from exposure to the 5/38 gun was common. Lots of WWII veterans, including my father, lost their hearing due to the same exposure you encountered. My father told me the sharp crack of the gun was painful to endure.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:55 pm 

The replacement of the main deck 20-mm guns with twin 40-mm guns had less to do with the blast damage to the 20-mm guns, and more to do with the cry for more 40-mm guns on the CLEVELAND's. Those locations were authorized (in mid-1944) as the best available that had not already been populated with 40-mm guns. The addition of the four twin 40-mm mounts (two forward and two aft) by the superimposed 6-in turrets brought the armament from 20 to 28 40-mm guns.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 469 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 24  Next