The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 252 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Two Indi's
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:07 am 

I had Academy Indi and I got a chance to look at the Trumpter Indi Hull.
So I took the pictures of both hull in one place for comparison.

Trumpeter hull is splitted left, right.
Academy hull is devided at the waterline level.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:42 am 

Thanks for posting. I really want an INDY in my collection,was excited when I heard about these two releases....now the excitement has diminished somewhat. I need to see the two kits complete WITHOUT modifications.

http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery/users/James-Guard/user-index.html

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:26 pm 
Strange, Trumpy's hull (anchor chains and shafts) look's as 30 years old kit. And base for main guns turrets with screws looking better in Academy. I bought Academy kit. In Czech republic is a 10USD cheapest as Trumpeter and have waterline option.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:44 pm 

What does PLANS "say" about these hulls?

Jimmy

"Oh Lord thy sea is so great and my boat is so small."
Breton Fisherman's Prayer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:43 pm 

The only plans I have are from her 1945 kamikaze damage report. The bulk of the damage was further forward than the areas that have the main difference between the hulls, but I think we can give Academy the nod here. Compare KJ Kim's first photo to these:

Attachment:
File comment: Frame 114 - about where the forward Strut of the Forward shafts are
CA35DamageFr114.jpg
CA35DamageFr114.jpg [ 57.89 KiB | Viewed 5628 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Not the shape of the aft keel
CA35Damage01.jpg
CA35Damage01.jpg [ 141.29 KiB | Viewed 5628 times ]

In Mr. Kim's photo, the Trumpter hull has a fairly constant curve to it, but you can see from the plan that it's fairly straight surface from the keel to a little before the forward strut, where it then starts to curve. Also notice the similarity in shape to the trailing edge of the keel on the Academy kit.

Aaaaaand let's take a look at this picture on her sister Portland's Navsource Page.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:37 am 

Tracy White wrote:
The only plans I have are from her 1945 kamikaze damage report. The bulk of the damage was further forward than the areas that have the main difference between the hulls, but I think we can give Academy the nod here. Compare KJ Kim's first photo to these:

Attachment:
CA35DamageFr114.jpg

Attachment:
CA35Damage01.jpg

In Mr. Kim's photo, the Trumpter hull has a fairly constant curve to it, but you can see from the plan that it's fairly straight surface from the keel to a little before the forward strut, where it then starts to curve. Also notice the similarity in shape to the trailing edge of the keel on the Academy kit.

Aaaaaand let's take a look at this picture on her sister Portland's Navsource Page.

Having looked at the Navsource photo, it is possible to think that Trumpeter have got it wrong, or put it another way, Academy have got it correct. I hope we don't have the same issue with the HMS Belfast model.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:40 am 

I am not sure that either kit represents the bow properly but Academy looks better:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BS-PHOTO-bev- ... 51ade84af0

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:19 am 

Surprised there hasn't been much new on INDY here after the two kits have been released in 1/350. Anyone know if the sales have been OK for the two kits?
Anyway, my question is - what colors was INDY painted during her run to Tinian? Specifically, was she in the neutral grays after her 1945 post-kamikaze yard period? Tracy had a bit to say on it but I've searched this site and haven't found anything of substance on the paint subject. It seems as though there is no firm word either way. If so, that's fine. Just trying to come up with the latest wisdom on the subject. I know what the instructions for the kits say, but that's not what I'm asking here. Perhaps there is a general reference on the whole neutral gray deal - I think I recall reading that there was a late-war shortage of the purple-blue tinting medium. Thanks for any enlightenment - especially if I've missed something in plain sight.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:50 am 

John W. wrote:
Surprised there hasn't been much new on INDY here after the two kits have been released in 1/350. Anyone know if the sales have been OK for the two kits?

I received today the Trumpeter Indy from Jadar and I think the Academy is disponible at market too.

Best Regards,

Ricardo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:19 pm 

John W. wrote:
Surprised there hasn't been much new on INDY here after the two kits have been released in 1/350.

Keith Bender posted some comments comparing the two releases. I've merged that post with this thread.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:28 am 

KJ and Keith
Great reviews! Thank you both for taking the time to post.

Paul

http://paulbudzik.com/current-projects/Neptune/Lockheed_Neptune_Model_Budzik.html
http://paulbudzik.com/tools-techniques/outside_the_box.html

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:07 am 
Which kit is overall better ? Trumpy or Academy ? I think - Academy, but it is true ?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:30 pm 

Well, that's what the comments above seem to imply! Trumpeter's includes a bunch of PE parts to try to make up for the errors in their kit, but the lower price of the Academy plus the use of a aftermarket PE set will likely result in an overall more accurate and detailed model anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:00 pm 

Just a quick observation. The Trumpeter hull seems to more closely match the Profile Morskie plans, which are noticeably blockier than the Floating Drydock TFW Portland plans, which nicely replicate the below the waterline stern contours, for example. The Floating Drydock plans also better replicate the "curve in," or tumble home that these hulls had towards the bow sections. I'd put my money on Trumpeter simply using a less accurate set of plans since they can certainly make a proper hull when they want to. This isn't meant as a knock against Profile Morskie, just that their hull doesn't look quite right aft. And, I have no idea if Trumpeter actually used their plans, or not; just pointing out a possible reason for the differences between the two manufacturer's hulls. For the record, and for equal time, the Floating Drydock may have bulged the forefoot a bit too much.

On another note concerning the image posted above by Mister White did Indy and Portland have any deck camber? The Floating Drydock plans show none - flat horizontal main decks - but it looks like the image posted above might. Are the Floating Drydock plans incorrect in that regard or am I simply not reading or viewing the image above properly?

Thanks,

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:49 am 

Just an observation on the Trumpeter kit: It fits better than almost any Trumpeter kit I've gotten has. That being said, my last two 1/350 scale Trumpy kits needed stryrene strips to fill gaps. :mad_1:

I do not know why Trumpeter made the choice to mold the hanger separate from the hull. The resulting joint is a total pain in the back to actually fill without ruining detail. Thankfully, I have tons of brass hatches laying around. I'm sure most don't. My copy also had major fit issues at the very forward part of the bow. I've been sanding/filling that incessantly.

Complaints aside, the rest of the ship seems to go together pretty well. Her currents were a breeze, as was most of the forward superstructure. The forward leg of the tripod will require some cutting to keep her foremast rangefinder level. This really isn't that big of a deal and I'd rather have TOO much length than too little.

IF you go with the Trumpeter kit, make sure you (a) buy the Squadron book and (b) have plenty of detail up brass around. The ship would make a good blank slate, but you WILL need to add hatches, fire hose reels, etc to really make something nice.

1/700 Saratoga w/Pontos (Needs paint)
1/700 Potato w/Kurama (On hold)
1/700 Murdertorpedoboat Ooi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:34 pm 

PetrolGator wrote:
IF you go with the Trumpeter kit, make sure you (a) buy the Squadron book

What squadron book are you referring to? do you have a link? Thanks.

EDIT: Never mind. The Al Adcock book. Thank You.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:50 am 

I find the Academy kit to be the better ( And not only because it comes waterline). The parts to the academy kit are a lot finer. This was one of Academy's problems for many years and seems the did there home work. The one thing in which the Trumpeter kit is better is it comes with etch. But who's not going to buy a PE set for it? I think Academy hit a home run on this one. But thats only my two cents comming from a guy who has a wall of Trumpeter ships on it.

1/350 Shimakaze
1/350 Sharnhorst Dragon
1/350 Belfast

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:57 am 

Nzmatt had posted a set of Arizona GA plans he found on the National Archives website. Working back from his link, I found that there is also a set for the Indy: http://research.archives.gov/search?exp ... al-objects

There are dates on the drawings, but they don't make much sense...

They may not be enough for a completely accurate scratchbuild, but should be enough for anyone wishing to backdate their Indy to pre-catapult removal!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:19 am 

Looks like the December '44 refit plans, judging by the front fire control station. It matches what the Portland had for a while.

Lots of unfinished model ships + attention issues = A busy slipway where nothing gets done!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:20 am 

Anyone have any really good/detailed pictures of Portlands forecastle deck area or front stack? Mainly the area that one would have to cut up and build to convert to from an Indy. Ive been mainly using WP #10 for reference, and searched navsource. Hoping someone might have something before I go past the point of no return ;)

Lots of unfinished model ships + attention issues = A busy slipway where nothing gets done!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 252 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next