The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 5:55 pm 

Hopefully some who posted here are still around. I am working on two scales of the SMS Emden, one 300 and one 2400,

i need if posisble to verify the standard SMS High Seas Fleet gray that was used on hull and superstructure. I know it was a light gray but have seen various versions of it used, some with a green tint. I am a profesional artist so I am always determined if possible to use accurate colours.

I believe the gray was a neutral tone, ie not blue or greenish but a pale straight gray.

I also need to know about decks. I believe big ships, BC and above had wooden decks of a light colour but cruisers appear to have used brown linoleum from the model pics of the Emden I see here. Some variation on the open fore bridge and the other deck surfaces seems possible. If anyone can share accurate photos of both the hull colour and the deck colours it would be much appreciated.

There are older posts with photos of one of the Emden's guns preserved and possibly the gray on it is accurate? that would be a windfull but maybe has been repainted many times.

help on this much appreciated.

Chris

Admin
Elvas Tower

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 11:49 pm 

I will not comment on the precise grey colours, but there were two different colours used: a darker one up to the top of the bulwarks midships and a lighter one above on the hull and the superstructure. The deck was planked midships, the forecastle and poop had linoleum on it, which was in a very dark reddish brown, the steel decks were black.

I am not aware of any colour photos, which could be accurate.

Some photos of my interpretation of SMS Emden:
http://www.modellmarine.de/index.php/modelle/112-lars/4060-deutscher-geschuetzter-kreuzer-emden-1700-hp-models-von-lars-scharff

A (slightly dusty) deck view:

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 8:52 am 

Chris,

I attempted to obtain an answer as to the specifications of the paints used for the Imperial German Navy's greys used in the '96er Grau colour scheme (See the thread under Camouflage and Coatings). Wefalk provided an answer, the kernel of which is that they may be in the official archives but have not been found yet.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 11:44 am 

Maxim and 81542

thank you both very much for your generous sharing so fast. Maxim your models are very very nice. such fine detail. Mine are a bit smaller but i will try my best to get them right. I appreciate the info on the linoleum It was being used more and more in ships in that era and later, it was an alternative that was affordable and fairly easy to replace more than wood decks. 81542 thank you for that note on the gray colour. I was able after some years of research to find the colour data for the RN but not for the High Seas Fleet. Many records were lost at the end of the war during the turmoil with the revolt of the 'red" crews on board many ships and ashore. The Navy was essentially gutted by the sad events of Scapa and after that, and what is surprising is how much did in fact survive. I will hope my estimate of the grays is somewhat accurate and adjust if and when data can be found.

It is interesting to note that some of the masts were black, and for a while i wondered and then realized it was due to the coal smoke that they decided to actually paint the aft masts that would blacken anyway. An interesting accomodation that other Navies did also. My grandfather who was a USN naval officer in WWI and WWII said back then when his ships ran on coal, coaling ship was a dirty, filthy all hands up to the captain matter, and it took days after to get the ship clean again.

thank you both gentlemen for your kind assistance. i will share pictures of my work as i advance further.

Chris

Admin
Elvas Tower

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 11:37 pm 

The rear mast was partially black.

The documentation was much more likely lost during Second World War (bombing) or afterwards, when the archives had been captured by the Allies.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:59 pm 

Hi Maxim
thank you for that emendation i will adjust accordingly and appreicate even the smallest detail in my search for the best i can do.

yes there was a lot that went missing after the war and the bombing, well that is another topic it is something i abhorred and still do. but thanks for that thought maybe someday they will find the records. would hope or think there would be mulitple places such important data would be recorded. I may try searching long ago forums to see if by chance some surviving veteran may have said something. My Grandfather knew some of the High Seas Officers including the fine man who wrote that remarkable book on the SMS Derfflinger.

Admin
Elvas Tower

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7