The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:32 am 

There is a FlyHawk set "Russian Modern Radar". I do not have it here, but perhaps it could be helpful.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:19 pm 

Thanks, Maxim. That is very helpful. I did not know about it but I see they have a separate set on watertight doors that looks handy also.

Alas it doesn't seem to have the particular antenna I'm looking for but it looks like it has all the others.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:04 am 

Neptune wrote:
The Flat Screen was a test. There's something special about it, but I can't really recall what at the moment. I THINK, it was a phased array like US SPY-1 type of radar (although this one is rotating of course). I'm not sure, but I think that was the special thing about it, it can take a lot more targets than the regular Top Plate or Fregat radars. Kerch and Azov were both used for testing later in their lives. Kerch is still there, she's receiving occasional upgrades as she's sponsored by the city of Kerch. For a long time, a lot of things were regulated and provided by the city which sponsored the ship (and I think that actually still stands as of now).

Flat screen antenna looks like a normal frequency scanned planar array with serpentine wave guide that loops back and forth across the face of the array similar to Top plate, or the likes of US SPS-48 and sps-39/52, just much bigger, so it either operate at much lower frequency, or have much higher resolution than similar but smaller radars.

Their predecessors Top sail/top pair were also frequency scanned set with much bigger antenna than their western counterparts and operated at much lower frequency than their western counterparts. So it wouldn’t be the first time if the Soviets used much lower frequency for their main 3D search radar than the west. There is a recently declassified early 1970 CIA assessment which suggest the Soviets may have chosen very low frequency for their main 3D search radar to enable them to take takes advantage of atmospheric phenomenon to gain some unusual capabilities such as seeing well below the horizon and extending their range by detecting turbulence or rising thermals in the air.

Last edited by chuck on Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:06 am 

Does anyone know of any photos showing Kara class deploying their variable depth sonar?

I am actually looking for photos of Slava class’s VDS, any having no luck. I noticed the width of VDS doors on the Slava is similar to those on the Kara, so I am guessing they have the same or very similar VDS.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:43 am 

The Karas are extremely handsome ships, however much less documented than the Slavas. Chances of getting pics of their VDS are very small. In those days camera's weren't all that common, let alone that it would have been allowed to take pics of such things.