The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 300 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:26 am 

maxim wrote:
Nice to read that you come to the same conclusions. You can see my model of USS Chicago in the Savo Island fit here:

USS Chicago

Maxim,

Very nice build of the Chicago, I plan on doing this build/conversion only in 1/350 and have been coming up short on the differences between the Chicago and the Houston. Looking at your build I can only spy 9 20mm's, where might the last 3 be hiding? My German is a little rusty, what sources did you use to determine the placement of them?

Thanks in advance!

Matt

1/350 USS Portland CA-33 1942
1/350 Trumpeter Texas with a twist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:21 am 

The most important reference were two photos of the Australian War Memorial:

http://www.awm.gov.au/search/collections/
Search there for "USS Chicago" restricting the search for Second World War. I used the photos 305765 and P05292.029
(my old links to the photos do not work anymore)

Actually, these were the only useful photos I had found of Chicago in her Savo Island fit...

On the photo I could identify only nine 20 mm Oerlikons. Their positions were:

2 on the platform above the bridge
2 behind the forward 1,1 in quads a little forward of the forward funnel
2 on the platform behind the after funnel
1 behind the main mast
2 on the stern

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:16 pm 
Great link Maxim, but I respectfully diagree on the 20mm fit (in two locations). The 20mm were installed Dec '41/Jan '42 at PHNY. I believe there were 4 20mm on the platform, outboard the aft MK-19, aft of the 2nd stack. The platform APPEARS to have been extended out P/S, with 2 20mm on each side. I also believe that there were 2 20mm atop the aft deckhouse, under the aft tripod (mainmast). I know of a couple other Savo Is. photos that APPEAR to show this. I agree with Maxim on the other 20mm locations. I believe there were indeed at least 12 20mm fitted. Chicago differed from Houston in several minor ways, noteably at the forcastle break (Chicago had several extra catwalks installed, ladder arrangement different), the 20mm's, the aft CXAM on the mainmast, MK-3 FC, Rangefinder atop #3 turret, and other differences. I too have a 1/2 finished 1/350 Chicago (mid-'42) from the Yankee Houston kit. Sadly conclusive evidence is hard to find, so these are my semi-educated "guesses" ! :)

Jerry Phillips

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:26 am 

Jerry Phillips wrote:
I believe there were 4 20mm on the platform, outboard the aft MK-19, aft of the 2nd stack. The platform APPEARS to have been extended out P/S, with 2 20mm on each side.

That is possible, but on the photo P05292.029 (the large version, bought from the Australian War Memorial) there are only two shields of 20 mm visible. There could be more, but they are not visible.

Jerry Phillips wrote:
I also believe that there were 2 20mm atop the aft deckhouse, under the aft tripod (mainmast).

Here the photo P05292.029 is clear: there is only one 20 mm on the platform behind the main mast. Below is a roofed fire direction platform, above the platform with four searchlights.

Jerry Phillips wrote:
I know of a couple other Savo Is. photos that APPEAR to show this.

Where you found them? I also had searched for twelve 20 mm, but I did not found them on the photos. I have several photos in the yard after Savo Island, some made before the battle. But they all not very useful except of making clear that there were 1,1 in quads behind the 5 in battery and there were no 20 mm on the (searchlight) platform below the CXAM radar.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:21 pm 
Maxim,
I have seen an image that could be same or similar to the Australian image #305765, except it was the full length of the ship. Pretty decent quality, but not 100% definitive. It was sent to me, orginally published in book "Hard Lessons". There are a couple of distant views of Chicago at Suva, Feb '42 (not too helpful). Navsource has a few that are interesting (#80-G-K-386 is best), but again, not 100%. I too have seen several Mare Is. shots taken AFTER Savo Is., and tried to make the best of what was NOT rebuilt. I suppose it comes down to photo interpretation...ex. photo # P05292.029 shows me that there were definetely 2 20mm atop aft deckhouse!:) I see two distinctive "squares" in the STS tub. (I enlarged said image 400%). Anyway, the search continues to see definitive evidence that she had the then standard 12-20mm. I am still trying to figure out if there is a aft MK-3 FC mounted? There is definite lack of photos of early/mid 1942 Chicago!

Jerry Phillips

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:04 am 

Jerry Phillips wrote:
Maxim,
I am still trying to figure out if there is a aft MK-3 FC mounted?

Jerry Phillips

There is a shot of Chicago after the final refit taken from the port quarter where you can see the Mk 3 is mounted to the face of the aft superstructure. The photo is number 0402949.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:27 pm 

Jerry Phillips wrote:
Maxim,
I have seen an image that could be same or similar to the Australian image #305765, except it was the full length of the ship. Pretty decent quality, but not 100% definitive.

Could you perhaps email me this photo?

lars [ AT ] modellmarine . de

Jerry Phillips wrote:
I suppose it comes down to photo interpretation...ex. photo # P05292.029 shows me that there were definetely 2 20mm atop aft deckhouse!:) I see two distinctive "squares" in the STS tub. (I enlarged said image 400%).

These two squares are the two halves of the shield of the Oerlikon ;) This is clearly visible on the larger version of this photo.

Jerry Phillips wrote:
I am still trying to figure out if there is a aft MK-3 FC mounted?

There is none in her Savo Island fit.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:20 pm 
Maxim,
Well, difference of opinion:)! The 2 "squares" on aft deck house look (to me) like 2 seperate mounts, considering distance of photo. I tend to agree on the proof of lack of FC aft (unusual but possible). I have lost the photo of Chicago's port side (hard drive melt down), but a similar photo is at "WW2 Cruisers.com" (trouble w/ link)...do a search on site for USS Chicago. Sadly the evidence for Chicago is lacking, as well for mid 1942 Salt Lake City, early 1942 Chester, among others! BTW, GREAT model, I am envious of your modeling talent!

Jerry Phillips

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:09 am 
Jerry Phillips wrote:
Well, difference of opinion:)! The 2 "squares" on aft deck house look (to me) like 2 seperate mounts, considering distance of photo.

You should be aware that if you use only the low quality copy from the Australian War Memorial homepage, you actually miss a lot of information ;)

Jerry Phillips wrote:
I have lost the photo of Chicago's port side (hard drive melt down), but a similar photo is at "WW2 Cruisers.com" (trouble w/ link)...do a search on site for USS Chicago.

Could you give the link to the site itself? I have trouble to find it??

Jerry Phillips wrote:
Sadly the evidence for Chicago is lacking, as well for mid 1942 Salt Lake City, early 1942 Chester, among others!

Yes, I was totally surprised when I found out that there only few useful photos of Chicago showing her in August 1942!

Jerry Phillips wrote:
BTW, GREAT model, I am envious of your modeling talent!

Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:50 pm 
I believe this is the site for the Chicago port side:

www.world-war.co.uk

Jerry Phillips

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:05 pm 

Jerry Phillips wrote:
I believe this is the site for the Chicago port side:

http://www.world-war.co.uk

Thank you, but unfortunately this again one of these photos with very low quality.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:35 am 

Hello,

I'm trying to find out the number of 40mm guns and radars carried by Chester in late 1943/early 1944 and Louisville in early 1944. Maybe they had 16 to 20.
Radars: SG, air search SK, Mk3 and 2 Mk4. Is that correct?

Thank you in advance for your help.
Max

Last edited by maxs75 on Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:51 am 

Added list of available Northampton class kits to the first post, as well as links to the completed Northampton class kits I could find in the gallery. If I left anything out, PM me and I'll add it.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:27 pm 

Hi folks,

I have the YMW/ex-BWN 1/350 kit (of Houston). I'm trying to confirm as best as possible the mid-1941 configuration of the ship. Right now I'm planning on doing a lot of replacing of secondary armament, but need to know what to order.

As far as I can determine, I need:

(8) 5"/25s for the tubs alongside the aft stack and the upper boat deck
(4) 1.1" AA

In Hornfischer's book, there is mention of 50 cal. guns being added in several locations--does anyone have any idea when this was done? There's not a lot of agreement from the various sources I checked on the secondary armament, so I'm trying to go with what's most plausible.

(I'm also sticking with mid-1941 because I like the look of a ship with natural wooden decks, but these were painted/stained over in late 1941).

Last edited by MartinJQuinn on Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Added (of Houston) to the post, as it didn't specify which ship

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:36 am 
PetrOs Modellbau
PetrOs Modellbau

Hey

I am considering to get a BWN's Houston kit, and would like to build it as an early version with torpedo tubes. What kind of changes would be required? Am I correct that she carried only 4 5"/25 guns as AA by the time?

And, in early 30es, what were her differences to her sisters?

1:350 HMS Diana 1794 - nearly released
Further kits in preparation.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:21 am 

you are correct 4 ea 5" 25 this also requires modification of the aft end of the hangar. The aft end is angled in apparently to provide clearance for the guns firing forward.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:02 am 

Hi,
Would anyone know the signal letters/call sign for USS Houston CA30?

Cheers
BC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:16 pm 

Hey everyone,

Wondering, at the battle of Savo what kind of markings would the USS Chicago's planes have been in? In the photo just after her torpedo hit I see the large stars on the fuselage, was there a red dot in the center? And one last question, in the photo they seem to almost match the ship in color, were they an overall color or was there another scheme?

TIA
Matt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:38 pm 
SOC's...circa Aug 1942...........6-postion stars w/ no red dot in center (removed circa May 1942). They would have been NS Blue Gray topsides, NS Light Gray undersides. I'm not sure of the fuselage codes/numbers for Chicago, but I would guess black individual numerals, with no other squadron codes ("CS-"). BTW, I see Tracy White as added some rare Aug 1942 photos of Chicago over at Navsource!

Jerry Phillips

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:10 pm 

Jerry,

Thanks for the info, I did not notice that Tracy went and did that! The kicker is, I just finished the bridge and thought I had the 20mm's locked down, now in the one photo it clearly shows 2 20mm's flanking the Pilot House. Now, the question is did she have 12 or 14 20mm's?

Matt

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 300 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next