The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 7:46 pm 

Thx, Timmy.

Who could have imagined that there would be pent up demand for a light cruiser version of Mogami? Go figure. I guess the Kumano CL version kit gets no respect.

Note: the funnel appears to have come from the Mogami CA kit.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 8:20 am 

To be clear, I would think they used the Mikuma kit, with Mogami funnel and mainmast sprues, along with Kumano CL main turrets, along with "new" parts. Pretty easy mix and match.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:47 pm 

Quick question, guys?

Would a late war Mogami still have the degaussing cable fitted?

I just wondered if there were some point to Tamiya leaving it off the 1/350 hull, when it seems like something that could have been moulded on quite comfortably....

TIA, Prowler.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:29 pm 

Dan K wrote:
To be clear, I would think they used the Mikuma kit, with Mogami funnel and mainmast sprues, along with Kumano CL main turrets, along with "new" parts. Pretty easy mix and match.

Just received my kit from Japan today (shipped last Friday!) and she is a mix and match using the Mikuma as Dan noted. I had hoped that Tamiya would have used turrets with separate barrels but alas Dan is correct, the turrets are from the Kumano. The mainmast is a minor variation on the one in the Mikuma kit and other minor differences exist but nothing of substance.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:39 am 

From a cost perspective, they got another kit with minimal marketing and no new tooling costs. You'd do the same thing.

Quote:
Would a late war Mogami still have the degaussing cable fitted?

Sorry, I meant to answer this. Impossible to know as there are no clear photos. New capital ship construction commissioned in 1943 like Oyodo did not carry a degaussing cable (already considered ineffective). Also, the reconstructed Isuzu. So, it could have been deleted.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:00 pm 

I recently bought a Tamiya 1/700 Mogami aircraft cruiser kit for a bargain price at the last IPMS show here in Vancouver.

If I wanted to backdate this kit to Mogami's 1942/Midway configuration, I only have to remove the radar, and replace the stern aircraft deck with extra 8 inch turrets, right? Or are there other significant changes in her 1944 fit that prevent this conversion?

I probably might use spare main gun turrets from Skywave or Tamiya's heavy vessel ordnance sets.

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:40 pm 

Well, in addition to the flight deck, you'd have to remove all the treading from the forward part of that 01 or High Angle Gun deck, as the IJN called it. Prior to the conversion, it's all covered with linoleum & tie-down strips. The a-c rail set up for the catapults is different. Fewer AA positions and simpler AA platforms, particularly in front of the bridge. That's off the top of my head.

OTOH, it appears that you could keep the wind baffles and AA command station on top the bridge. You would want uniformity of turret appearance, so replacing all the turrets would be better, from Pit-Road or Yamashita Hobby.

HTH.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:54 pm 

Dan K wrote:
Well, in addition to the flight deck, you'd have to remove all the treading from the forward part of that 01 or High Angle Gun deck, as the IJN called it. Prior to the conversion, it's all covered with linoleum & tie-down strips. The a-c rail set up for the catapults is different. Fewer AA positions and simpler AA platforms, particularly in front of the bridge. That's off the top of my head.

OTOH, it appears that you could keep the wind baffles and AA command station on top the bridge. You would want uniformity of turret appearance, so replacing all the turrets would be better, from Pit-Road or Yamashita Hobby.

HTH.

Thanks for the reply. I'll look for pics comparing the CL versions of Mogami/Kumano with the 1944 version.

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:09 am 

You're gonna have the same issues with a CL version; in fact, there will be no wind baffles or AA command position atop the bridge, so more mods in store.

I did look in my Mogami box, and the sprues comes with six main turrets (3 per sprue), so no need to go elsewhere unless you want more detail.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:22 am 

If you got the 44 version, you need to do a lot. Better off trading it for a 42 version.

1/350 Shimakaze
1/350 Sharnhorst Dragon
1/350 Belfast

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:40 pm 

Since the modeling world hates my favorite two ships... this PE set might have to do.. it is for 1944 Suzuya !

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Five-Star-1-700 ... 1034541550

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:32 pm 

I recently picked up the Tamiya 1/700 mogami with the flight deck and I noticed the deck around the island house is diamond plate, shouldn't this be linoleum or did they change it during conversion?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:53 am 

The reality is that the area between the rails was treaded (diamond plate) while the area outside the rails was just metal decking. One might think this area would have been linoleum covered but the available photos don't show the tie-down strips. The new Fujimi kit rendered this area correctly; the Tamiya kit would need to have the treading removed outside the rails.

Attachments:
Mogami flight deck 1943-44.jpg
Mogami flight deck 1943-44.jpg [ 50.33 KiB | Viewed 2884 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:00 am 

Thanks for the reply and the pic Dan. So the linoleum started just forward of the aircraft deck and continued all the way to the forecastle? I was concerned about the area around the island/bridge area, now its more complicated that I thought, not sure if I want to try and remove the diamond plate from the flight deck as well.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:50 am 

Yeah, that's a problem with the Tamiya 1/700 kit. Best indications are that the linoleum was retained as far aft as just past the rear searchlight platform, aft of the funnel. Even the Tamiya 1/350 kit has this correct.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:59 pm 

Thanks for the help dan, I'm going to mull it over for a few days before I decide whether or not to tackle eliminating the diamond plate.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:15 am 

It's fascinating to read a thread begun over nine years ago. Lots of good information here for people who are interested in historical accuracy and model detailing. I have started up on the Tamiya 1/350 Mogami and have two questions:

1. Was there any linoleum decking on the walkways of the superstructures? I'm not concerned about inside, just those areas visible on a 1/350 model.

2. Were the prop shafts the anti-fouling color or natural metal?

Thanks for your attention.

Chuck

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:32 pm 

Quote:
1. Was there any linoleum decking on the walkways of the superstructures? I'm not concerned about inside, just those areas visible on a 1/350 model.

While we don't have a photo for actual proof, that was the practice, yes.

Quote:
. Were the prop shafts the anti-fouling color or natural metal?

Natural metal. Possibly stainless steel.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:48 pm 

Cool.
Thanks for the quick reply. :thanks:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:22 pm 
are tamiya 78022 (ijn chikuma) and 78023 (ijn mogami) the same?

hello fellow modellers

Im just wondering if any of you know if these two kits are the same. I mean can I build the mogami out of the chikuma kit? or viceversa?
are there any subtle differences between these two ships?

thank you captains

Alfred.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next