The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:53 pm 

Hi All,

I would think it would be an interesting disscusion about these fine ships of the Swedish Navy.

Actually is anyone currently thinking, that it's sad that there are no produced models of this navy.

As I 'm about to scratchbuild the whole navy in the period 1940,
( A lenghtly process)
so any suggestions to start me off!

Jens

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:05 pm 
Starling Models
Starling Models

Hi Jens
There are some card models available you could scale down and use as a template, Gota Lejon certainly is available. I would like to see a Drottnig Victoria, Rob K and I were discussing last week what Drottnig meant, can you enlighten us?

Good post by the way, a neglected navy.

Mike

http://www.starling-models.co.uk

Post subject: Wow!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:05 pm 

What scale will you build?
And what ship is going to be the first?
Manligheten?

Where do you find plans? I am passing by Gothenburg in August and thought of passing by Sjöhistoriska museet to see if I can find some plans.

/Magnus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:19 pm 

Hi Mike

It means "Queen" and Gota Lejon would be an interesting build due to the fact she was the pride of the Swedish navy, for nearly 2 decades as being the largest ever built Swedish Ship.
also where can these card models be found?

Magnus I will be building in 1/700 and HMS Manligheten would be a good start and if you could be able to find some plans that would be great or I will
Look at the Krigs- Arkivet

Also one final note, I'll try to keep you posted with pictures of my builds as they take shape.

Jens

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:40 pm 
Starling Models
Starling Models

Jens

http://jsc.pl/store/?d=produkt&id=80

For Gota Lejon, it is a 1:400 card model so you would need to scale it down if you want 1:700 but it can be done through a scanner and photoshop or similar. I thought Drottnig probably meant Queen or something similar.

Mike

http://www.starling-models.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:22 pm 

Krigsarkivet might not be a bad idea. I'll keep you posted if I can find something in Gothenburg.

There is also something called Marinlitteraturföreningen, they seem to have some books on the Swedish navy that might (or might not) be of interest: http://www.mlf.org

/Magnus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:23 pm 
Besides the previously mentioned paper kits, JSC also makes a Halland and Smaland kit in 1/400. Paper Shipwright makes several 1:250 late-19 century and early-20th century Swedish coastal ships.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:03 pm 

Sorry, that last post was me. This site sells the JSC models mentioned above: http://www.papermodelstore.com/index.php
This is Paper Shipwright's website: http://www.papershipwright.co.uk/index.shtml

I can't speak to JSC's quality, but I've built PS's SMS Rhein and ACW Mortar Barge, and they're really nice kits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:09 am 

I'm looking for any information on the Danish coast defence ships Peder Skram, Herluf Trolle and Olfert Fischer, built in the early 1900s. Photographs and reference material for these ships appears to be very scarce, searching the web has turned up a few low-res photos but not much else.
I've heard that there is a builder's model of Peder Skram in the Copenhagen National Maritime Museum, but have not managed to find any more information about this. Does anyone know more?

(Hope this isn't hijacking the thread too much - they're not Swedish ships, but are at least Scandinavian (and the Swedish navy had very similar coast defence ships)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:28 pm 

Swedish ships were carrying neutrality markings (blue and yellow); they looked different between the different ships.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:17 am 
It to not see difficultly.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:48 pm 

Paper Shipwright (papershipwright.co.uk) have just released a model of Peder Skram. They also do models of the Swedish coastal monitors Fenris (1871), Folke (1875) and Solve (1875). I have made their models of the Rendell gunboats, and was very impressed with the quality.

Hope this helps

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:41 am 

finnfan wrote:
Paper Shipwright (papershipwright.co.uk) have just released a model of Peder Skram. They also do models of the Swedish coastal monitors Fenris (1871), Folke (1875) and Solve (1875). I have made their models of the Rendell gunboats, and was very impressed with the quality.

Hope this helps

I know, I bought their kit as soon as it was released :big_grin: - I'm quite familiar with Paper Shipwrights as I used their Cerberus kit as plans for my scratchbuild, I also have their M.33, Melik, Solve and Tijger kits for future projects.
(The availability of the Paper Shipwrights kit is the reason I decided to build this particular ship)

The problem is that as I will be building the ship in 1/96 scale, and their kit is 1/250, I really need some more reference for the fine detail of the ship. It's also useful to see pictures of the real ship (or a builder's model) to get an idea of how everything goes together, there are some areas (notably the forecastle) which are quite complex shapes.

Thanks anyway!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:50 pm 

If anyone knows how to get Swedish plans, I would love to hear from you.

All the best
Sandy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:46 pm 

Some designs of the Dutch navy of the fifties had much in common with the Swedish: Bofors armament and turrets, and Hollandse Signaal radar equipment.

There is a kit of the Dutch destroyer Friesland in 1:350 (Naval Models), components of this kit could be used for a Halland class destroyer of the Swedish navy.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:13 pm 

Sandy:

I suppose you already know about different articles about Swedish warships in the Warship yearly issues. But I suppose you mean more elaborate plans, try with Sjöfartsmuseet in Gothenburg (Göteborg)

http://goteborg.se/wps/portal/sjofartsm/english
or Marinmuseum Karlskrona

http://www.marinmuseum.se/
Best regards
Anders

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:17 am 
Amphion
Amphion

The HMS Spårö is a minesweeper of the Arkö-class from the late 50's, early 60's.
Ships of this class saw service into the 80's, some as late as the early 90's.