The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:51 am 

Thanks a lot for the comment. Cheers, jean. :wave_1:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:43 am 

I am trying to find out what are the timeframes represented by each of the currently available Myoko-class 1/700 kits (Fujimi and Hasegawa, so 8 kits in total) and if there are any major flaws in these kits. Can anyone post such a summary - I am sure it will be useful to many! Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:11 pm 

Hey Vlad,

I only have four of the eight kits mentioned:

Myoko (Fujimi No.7) - 1944/45, with 8 twin and 4 triple AA
Nachi (Hasegawa 334) - 1941-43, with 6 twin AA
Haguro (Hasegawa 335) - 1941-43, with 6 twin AA
Ashigara (Hasegawa 336) - 1944, with 10 twin AA

Hope this helps!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:41 pm 

Thanks a lot. Seems you really liked the Hasegawa mold better than Fujimi :)

I quickly checked http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/plamo and it is clear that manufacturers did not care about single 25mm guns at the time of origin of these kits. I will eventually compare kit photos from Hobby Search to Lacroix & Wells to find out more about their config (I could have done it before instead of asking stupid questions ;) ).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:29 am 

Location: About 50 miles away from the Gulf of Mexico ( traveling W is you do so :)
[quote="Sbouba"]Hello to you all. It seems a century since I have posted something on the forum. I am more an airplane modeler but I do enjoy building ships too, and I have followed the great works of D. Kaplan who helped me with my "Chokai" some times ago, and whose knowledge on IJN is always amazing me! José Soca did also a great job on the last model I did, the IJN Myoko. like him I did get the Flyhawk set after my built was well advanced using left over PE parts from GMM and Lion's roar IJN Takao. I usually do my ships in water line configuration but I decided for a change. I also did apply my weathering technics from planes to ship and the result is the one on the pics. My references were the Gakken on the Nachi, and the Warship pictorial on the Myoko class cruisers, the bible on the subject (Lacroix) was also consulted when in doubt. I did not find a decent rigging pattern for a 1942 configuration so some connections might be invalid! Anyway I did enjoy this built immensely and I will probably tackle the Shokaku latter this year! My best regards to you all, cheers, Jean.

That is a gorgeous Myoko, Jean :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: When I started modeling mine I thought about going full hull but I gave up on the idea, you captured it phenomenal !! I'm glad I helped you on this one, sorry for not chiming in earlier .

regards

Jose :wave_1:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:52 pm 

Got the shipcraft book for Myoko and Tone classes today. I am trying to finish my Myoko that I started several years ago, and this book has some great pictures and drawings to help. But the Maya build featured on the cover and later in the book is UNREAL. My son didnt believe me when I showed him, he thought it was a real ship...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:44 am 

Location: About 50 miles away from the Gulf of Mexico ( traveling W is you do so :)
krgf15 wrote:
Got the shipcraft book for Myoko and Tone classes today. I am trying to finish my Myoko that I started several years ago, and this book has some great pictures and drawings to help. But the Maya build featured on the cover and later in the book is UNREAL. My son didnt believe me when I showed him, he thought it was a real ship...

Hi,

I got the same book but is not the Tone but Takao class, unless there is another book edition i haven't heard of but you answered my question when you wrote about the Maya build on the front cover. FYI, Maya was a Takao class cruiser.

Jose :wave_1:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:06 pm 

yes yes I know, just didnt proof read like I was supposed to. I was just mentioning the Maya because it was such a nice build.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:58 am 

That Maya was made from the PitRoad kit by Claudio Matteini, and is in our gallery: http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html

And now, back the to Myoko class............

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:59 pm 

ok back to myoko, Got my ashigara last week, doing it side by side with my Myoko, but im doing the earlier configuration. The thing im wondering, is how close were the hulls on these two ships. It seems like other than the extra parts for the taller mast for Ashigara, that all of the rest of the parts are identical. All I have for reference is the shipcraft book, and the little osprey IJN heavy crusiers vook.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:11 pm 

Well, for starters, the main turrets differ slightly between sisters. See p.6 of this thread........

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:11 pm 

Speaking strictly about the hull, the lower row of scuttles extended further forward towards the bow in Myoko and Ashigara than Nachi and Haguro. Just forward of the breakwater in the first pair vs. even with the end of the muzzles in turret #1 in the latter pair.

Plus this...

Attachments:
Bow_diferences, MASMS #11.jpg
Bow_diferences, MASMS #11.jpg [ 122.57 KiB | Viewed 2688 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:56 pm 

Sweet thanks, I would like to do Nachi and Haguro after this, but I don't know, ships are starting to stack up.....

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:41 am 

Hi guys,

I have the Aoshima 1/350 Nachi in my stash and would like to inquire if there are any errors in this kit that need correction.

On page 8, it has been mentioned that the range finder of turret #1 should be cut down to remove the overhang and that the exercise aiming devices from all the turret tops must be removed.

Aside from these two errors, are there any other issues that I should address?

Thanks very much in advance.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:31 pm 

rdsaplala wrote:
Hi guys,

I have the Aoshima 1/350 Nachi in my stash and would like to inquire if there are any errors in this kit that need correction.

On page 8, it has been mentioned that the range finder of turret #1 should be cut down to remove the overhang and that the exercise aiming devices from all the turret tops must be removed.

Besides those, no. But maybe you will find that some heavy AA or light AA might look inaccurate or a bit off scale, but that's small details. Aoshima kit in 1/350 is a nice kit.
On the exercise aiming device, ALL model manufactures ignore this feature, all Imperial Japanese Heavy Cruiser's exercise aiming device where removed by 1943(only IJN Mogami class never had on her 20 cm main turrets, only the 15,5 cm version of IJN Mogami class had exercise aiming device).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:38 pm 

Dan K wrote:
Speaking strictly about the hull, the lower row of scuttles extended further forward towards the bow in Myoko and Ashigara than Nachi and Haguro. Just forward of the breakwater in the first pair vs. even with the end of the muzzles in turret #1 in the latter pair.

Plus this...

Very interesting picture Dan, good for those who want to super detail the IJN Myoko class.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:18 pm 
I"m interested in the Nachi during the Battle of the Komandorski Islands. Specifically the bridge. During the battle, which officers besides Hosogaya and Sone would have been on the bridge? The number of officers and sailors might be enough. What instruments (radar, etc.) are housed on the bridge where Adm. Hosogaya would have been during the battle? Size of this bridge? Guesses welcome.

Much thanks,
Hank

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:52 pm 

Definitely a type 21 radar and the bridge has wind baffles.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:30 pm 

Quote:
Size of this bridge?

Hank, I haven't had a chance to go to the L&W book, much less any other source but, page three of this thread (towards the very bottom) shows Jose's work on the 1/350 Myoko at the compass bridge level, which he has detailed beautifully.

It's surprisngly small. I don't think too many folks hung out there. Reminds me of Nagumo and his staff crowding Akagi's bridge. It's possible that Adm. Hosogaya and his staff could be a deck lower but, I really doubt it. Not the IJN way.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:59 pm 

Atma wrote:
rdsaplala wrote:
Hi guys,

Besides those, no. But maybe you will find that some heavy AA or light AA might look inaccurate or a bit off scale, but that's small details. Aoshima kit in 1/350 is a nice kit.
On the exercise aiming device, ALL model manufactures ignore this feature, all Imperial Japanese Heavy Cruiser's exercise aiming device where removed by 1943(only IJN Mogami class never had on her 20 cm main turrets, only the 15,5 cm version of IJN Mogami class had exercise aiming device).

Cool! Thanks very much Atma :thumbs_up_1:
Just a follow up question: Are these the exercise aiming devices you that you mentioned?
Attachment:
excercise training device.jpg
excercise training device.jpg [ 32.89 KiB | Viewed 2418 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next