The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 504 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:22 am 

Hello
my web handel is county class my ship built to a scale of 1/128 is HMS CORNWALL 3 funnel job
what do you need
gary r uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:48 am 

Yes, especially the Counties.

Elegant and 'quite' warship-looking, Oulde Chap. Let us chat thereon.

:surfer:

Post subject: Kent-class RULES!!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:32 pm 

Would like to see someone model HMS Cumberland

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:17 am 

Dan
Did you know that the only things that did not change position on any countie class were the main turrets and the fuunnels ( london not inc )
cheere
gary r uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:17 am 

county class wrote:
Dan
Did you know that the only things that did not change position on any countie class were the main turrets and the fuunnels ( london not inc )
cheere
gary r uk

Both Cumberland and Suffolk differed from the rest of their sisterships, in having a lowered quarterdeck after modernization refits. This gave the two ships a different profile/silhouette which, in my opinion, made them somewhat more visually appealing (apart from their "boxy" seaplane hangars, that is).

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:01 am 

Dan
The sturn was cut down as a weight saving measure which did not work Berwick Suffolk Cumberland & my Cornwall all had the walrus hangar only my Cornwall kept hers to the end all the rest were removed in refits,
and although the counties were well thought of they were terrible ships to live on the joke was that they would roll on damp moss
gary

Post subject: radar
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:11 am 

was the radar mounted aft of B turret, in front of the bridge?
john bange

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:15 pm 

John
one or two carried the radar between the forward tirret & the bridge others had it between the after funnel & the after mast this was not a great place due to the large blind spot forward
gary

Post subject: radar location
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:11 pm 

Thanks, Gary... looks like HMS Berwick will be my next victim. I was confused about the radar. I guess if a blind spot is unavoidable, I would rather see what I need to miss then see what I just missed.
John

Post subject: Re: radar location
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:18 pm 

john bange wrote:
I was confused about the radar. I guess if a blind spot is unavoidable, I would rather see what I need to miss then see what I just missed.
John

John--

According to my information, if you want to model a County during WW2 years with the radar lantern ahead of the bridge, you'll need to go with either Shropshire or Sussex, before 1943. By some point in 1943, both ships had lost this feature. From what I can determine, Berwick did not have the radar abaft B turret.

Dan

Post subject: radar/county class/WW11
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:01 pm 

That figures...I have photos with and without...maybe I will do Canberra and not worry about the radar.
John Bange

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:03 am 

Hi
Berwick was sister to Cornwall had the hanger but no cut down quarter deck
Cornwall had simple pole mast Berwick had tripod masts
gary

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:50 am 

wr,

The drawing of the catapult that Laurence posted appears to me to be very similar to the those on Norfolk and Dorsetshire:

I was under the impression that both ships used double extending types, at least originally, ie pre-1937.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:15 pm 
Similar yes but not the same.
The drawing shown can be used generally for structural details though.
The Ough plans have the greatest benefit in the detailed fittings drawings. The man was extremly good at this.
Combine the "as fitted" plans (for general arrangement), with the Ough plans (for details of fittings and equiptment) and you will end up with a model that will pass the most expert scrutiny in terms of accuracy.
If you have not yet actually orderd the plans, then additionally ask for the "as fitted" rig sheet, and the "as fitted" WT sheet, these will give you the aerial runs and the rigging arrangement for the masts and booms, which the general arrangement set will not.

Let us know when the "as fitted:' set arrives.

I hope that this advice is of some help.

PS. The "as fitted" plans may show As & As (alterations and additions), so look at these very carefully, and use dated photos before starting work.
PPS. Once you have used "as fitted" plans, you will probably not want to use any other type in the future.

Steve Sobieralski wrote:
wr,

The drawing of the catapult that Laurence posted appears to me to be very similar to the those on Norfolk and Dorsetshire:

I was under the impression that both ships used double extending types, at least originally, ie pre-1937.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:24 pm 
After my above posting I went and looked up a couple of things in Raven and Roberts.
Dorsetshire was originally fitted with a S11L type catapult.
Replaced during the large refit by a E1VH catapult.
I could be wrong but I do not thing that the drawing shown is a S11L type.
If I am wrong, then you can use the drawing for the ship as in her first years of service.

wr wrote:
Similar yes but not the same.
The drawing shown can be used generally for structural details though.
The Ough plans have the greatest benefit in the detailed fittings drawings. The man was extremly good at this.
Combine the "as fitted" plans (for general arrangement), with the Ough plans (for details of fittings and equiptment) and you will end up with a model that will pass the most expert scrutiny in terms of accuracy.
If you have not yet actually orderd the plans, then additionally ask for the "as fitted" rig sheet, and the "as fitted" WT sheet, these will give you the aerial runs and the rigging arrangement for the masts and booms, which the general arrangement set will not.

Let us know when the "as fitted:' set arrives.

I hope that this advice is of some help.

PS. The "as fitted" plans may show As & As (alterations and additions), so look at these very carefully, and use dated photos before starting work.
PPS. Once you have used "as fitted" plans, you will probably not want to use any other type in the future.

Steve Sobieralski wrote:
wr,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:36 pm 

wr wrote:

I have ordered the plans and I did order both the rig and the WT sheets. Most of the sheets for Dorsetshire were designated 1930 + 1937, so I am assuming they will show the modifications drawn over the original configuration. I was hoping to get something that would show the locations of the 20 mms added during the war, but there is apparently nothing on file after 1937. I am really looking forward to seeing them, both for the model and my general interest. Unfortunately, NMM is apparently in the process of installing a new plans copier and I was told that there may be "substantial delays".

wr wrote:
If I am wrong, then you can use the drawing for the ship as in her first years of service.

No, I think you are right. The drawing appears very close to the E1VH, which is what is shown in the photo. I had already constructed an S11L per Ough's plans before I realized that it would not be correct for the post-37 refit that the model will depict.

Thanks for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:54 pm 
On the matter of 20mm fitted during the war.

Tyne refit, june/july 1941.
Proposed to fit five 20mm but due to shortage none were fitted. Instead a single 2pdr pom pom fitted on the quarterdeck.

Refit at Columbo commencing 22nd march 1942.
Was to have received five 20mm and radar.
Refit halted on the 26th of March 1942 due to general situation regarding the Japanese advance and before radar and 20mm could be fitted.

Left Columbo on the 31st.

Arrived back in Columbo on the 2nd of April to resume refit.

Left Columbo on the 4th of April to avoid threatened air attack.

Sunk on the following day.

Unknown if the 20mm and radar were ever fitted at the time of loss.

If you decide to fit your model with five 20mm I can give you the proposed positions.

Please let me know.

Steve Sobieralski wrote:
wr wrote:

I have ordered the plans and I did order both the rig and the WT sheets. Most of the sheets for Dorsetshire were designated 1930 + 1937, so I am assuming they will show the modifications drawn over the original configuration. I was hoping to get something that would show the locations of the 20 mms added during the war, but there is apparently nothing on file after 1937. I am really looking forward to seeing them, both for the model and my general interest. Unfortunately, NMM is apparently in the process of installing a new plans copier and I was told that there may be "substantial delays".

wr wrote:

No, I think you are right. The drawing appears very close to the E1VH, which is what is shown in the photo. I had already constructed an S11L per Ough's plans before I realized that it would not be correct for the post-37 refit that the model will depict.

Thanks for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:15 pm 
As a PS to my last post,
It is just possible the some or all of the 20mm were fitted during the 2nd - 4th of April.
Question; are there any photos taken by the Japanese during the attack on the 5th, and if so, do they show anything?

wr wrote:
On the matter of 20mm fitted during the war.

Tyne refit, june/july 1941.
Proposed to fit five 20mm but due to shortage none were fitted. Instead a single 2pdr pom pom fitted on the quarterdeck.

Refit at Columbo commencing 22nd march 1942.
Was to have received five 20mm and radar.
Refit halted on the 26th of March 1942 due to general situation regarding the Japanese advance and before radar and 20mm could be fitted.

Left Columbo on the 31st.

Arrived back in Columbo on the 2nd of April to resume refit.

Left Columbo on the 4th of April to avoid threatened air attack.

Sunk on the following day.

Unknown if the 20mm and radar were ever fitted at the time of loss.

If you decide to fit your model with five 20mm I can give you the proposed positions.

Please let me know.

Steve Sobieralski wrote:
wr wrote:

wr wrote:

Thanks for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:42 pm 

wr wrote:
Question; are there any photos taken by the Japanese during the attack on the 5th, and if so, do they show anything?

There are a few photos of the attack but unfortunately they are too blurred or the ships too far away to make out any details like the 20mm positions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:20 pm 
Do the photos give any indication of the paint scheme of the Dorsetshire?

Filipe Ramires wrote:
wr wrote:

There are a few photos of the attack but unfortunately they are too blurred or the ships too far away to make out any details like the 20mm positions.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 504 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next