The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 480 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:38 pm 

Dear Kazec:

Per your questions:

1) wooden decks were often natural, but sometimes painted. You need to rely on photographic or documentary evidence to determine what was the case for the camouflage scheme in question. Regarding Cornwall's two-tone scheme, there is no photographic documentation for that, only the testimony of a senior RN officer, and we don't have info about her deck color at the time (if I remember correctly). So no one can say you are wrong, whether you go with natural teak or dark gray.

2) 01 deck forward of the bridge was wood--Aoshima got it wrong--as we have nice photos of HMS Berwick, a near sister, clearly showing wooden planking there. I think all counties had wooden decks on their forward deckhouses--at least as built.

3) 01 deck around the 4" HA guns on Berwick, and presumably Cornwall, was steel with a grid anti-slip pattern, but the working areas around the gun were wooden plank matting. We have good pictures of Berwick showing these details.

4) regarding the aft vent platform, I believe Aoshima got it right, though photos are not definitive.

For photos of Berwich that might help with your Cornwall build, see here:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/ind ... nt-3766966

HTH!

Mike E.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:30 pm 

Mike E. wrote:
Dear Kazec:

Per your questions:

Thank you very much, Mike!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:02 am 

HMAS Australia in the Coral Sea 1942. Port side camouflage.
https://youtu.be/iAcuSGBSUOg

Episode 05: Builder's Trials
Guided Tour1: Hangar Deck

ESSEX CLASS TIMELINE
USS Ticonderoga CV-14 Operational History
USS Shangri La, 1945 in Color

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:56 am 

Excellent find, thanks for sharing!

Prep stage: USS Vincennes CA-44 | HMAS Australia | Yubari | Kako

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:47 pm 

A very interesting find, the first part/majority of the clip would tie in with the strbd shot 80-G-7292 for the exact time period. The sequence has been spliced, it shows that her port midship pattern had been modified but we are left to presume that it took place approx. around the end of Feb/early March. There is only one other shot taken in June 42 from a port bow qtr aspect, showing the pattern modification, along with weapons mods. It is unfortunate that we don`t have an exact date for the alteration but it appears to have been performed much earlier than we had originally thought, thxs for posting.

Post subject: HMS Kent search lights
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:28 pm 

Gathering ideas for my future Trumpeter 1/350 HMS Kent build, I’m rather excited about the Micro Master detail parts ,thinking of possibly replace the stock search lights with MM pieces. But have no idea which size to use ,I’m seeing 24”36” and 44” the last probably to large,no idea as to where I can locate this information….Any help greatly appreciated…

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:21 pm 

Kent as built was fitted with 36" S.L`s, after refit when the S.L tower was fitted she still carried 36" but they appear to have been a later Mk / or retrofitted with new fan motor assy. When the RDF lantern was fitted/modified platform those S.L`s were repositioned side by side. The position of the cooling fan motor assembly on both Mk`s indicate the size S.L. Unfortunately MicroMaster do not produce this size S.L. (their WWI 36" is not the correct Mk for Kent)
The only manufacturer I know of, producing this Mk in 1/350 is NorthStar. There could be others.

Attachments:
36.jpg
36.jpg [ 221.78 KiB | Viewed 12051 times ]

Last edited by Brett Morrow on Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:38 pm 

DavidP wrote:
what time period?

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 8:50 am 

I'm going through Tom's Modelworks' instruction of County Class PE set (7103) for my Aoshima Norfolk kit.

There is a paragraph mentioning Aoshima did not model the PomPom director and it needs to be scratch built.

Does anyone know where HMS Norfolk's PomPom directors were located?

Attachment:
image0.jpeg
image0.jpeg [ 41.4 KiB | Viewed 11963 times ]

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 9:32 pm 

Wish to know what type of DCT’s HMS Kent was fitted with in 1941. Might wish to upgrade the one’s on my TRUMPETER 1/350 during the build with a 3D units possibly from Micro Master if available….

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 3:58 pm 

If you were planning to use MM parts, the pieces available/applicapable for Kent 41 would be the Mk XXI DCT (Pg 1) forward (excluding 284 parts) and the 8" refit DCT (Pg 4) aft. Not sure on the HACS turrets, refit plans from Greenwich would suggest Mk I (judging by O/H turret shape) but I neither have these plans in Hi Res nor image reference in sufficient resolution to verify that to be correct. Perhaps someone has a listing.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 8:53 am 

If you were planning to use MM parts, the pieces available/applicapable for Kent 41 would be the Mk XXI DCT (Pg 1) forward (excluding 284 parts) and the 8" refit DCT (Pg 4) aft. Not sure on the HACS turrets, refit plans from Greenwich would suggest Mk I (judging by O/H turret shape) but I neither have these plans in Hi Res nor image reference in sufficient resolution to verify that to be correct. Perhaps someone has a listing.

G,day mate
And thank you for this information,looks to be very helpful! :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 8:28 am 

On checking build instructions and the sprues on the kit on its arrival I’m seeing there are no torpedo tube mounts provided….
Wondering if at some point in her career they were removed? On checking the Wikipedia history of the ship it shows 2 quadruple 21” mounts listed in the armament section….
Micro Masters lists the mounts in their inventory if I wish to add them , just curious if the kit is correct in not having them…

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 12:05 pm 

The Kent's lost their torpedo tubes as part of the late 1930's modernizations. Australia retained hers at first, but lost them later in the war. Only the unmodernized Canberra retained hers to the end. The London and Norfolk classes retained their tubes.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 12:57 pm 

Dick J wrote:
The Kent's lost their torpedo tubes as part of the late 1930's modernizations. Australia retained hers at first, but lost them later in the war. Only the unmodernized Canberra retained hers to the end. The London and Norfolk classes retained their tubes.

Dick J,
Thank you for the clarification….

Last edited by MartinJQuinn on Tue May 31, 2022 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merged into County Class Fans thread

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:14 am 

I thought I may find where Norfolk's Pom-Pom director were located. They are in the tubs right above Pom-Pom.

Attachment:
HMSNorfolk040.jpg
HMSNorfolk040.jpg [ 122.21 KiB | Viewed 6280 times ]

Aoshima's 1/700 kit (both 1941 and 1943 version) put two 20mm AA in the same place, which I suspect is wrong.
Attachment:
AoshimaInstruction.JPG
AoshimaInstruction.JPG [ 20.74 KiB | Viewed 6279 times ]

Also from War Thunder (not a good refernce)
HMS Norfolk had 8 x 20mm Oerlikon
https://wiki.warthunder.com/HMS_Norfolk

"The star of the ship's AA are the two octuple 40mm Pom-Pom mounts located just aft of the torpedoes. These will immediately dispatch aircraft, as well as patrol boats if necessary. Aside from those, and the dual-purpose 4 inch/45 mounts, the only other AA armament are eight single 20mm Oerlikon Mk.IIs. Four are located around the superstructure, one is on the B turret, two are on the X turret, and one more can be found on the stern. "

I count 1x on turret B, 2x on turret X, 1x on the stern, 2x between No1 and No2 funnels, 2x after No3 funnel. So it is likely Aoshima is wrong

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:00 am 

Did HMS Cornwall actually receive any Oerlikons and Radars before she was sunk?

thanks
Mike

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:39 pm 

Mike W wrote:

thanks
Mike

According to the WW2 cruisers website, after the star of WW2, apparently not:

Quote:
Cornwall had few modifications if any at all.

https://www.world-war.co.uk/Kent/kent_class.php
(scroll to "Modifications")

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:01 pm 

PaulC wrote:
Mike W wrote:

thanks
Mike

According to the WW2 cruisers website, after the star of WW2, apparently not:

Quote:
Cornwall had few modifications if any at all.

https://www.world-war.co.uk/Kent/kent_class.php
(scroll to "Modifications")

So essentially, Aoshima's Cornwall kit, represents the ship at any point in WW2 until she was sunk?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:59 pm 

Quote:
So essentially, Aoshima's Cornwall kit, represents the ship at any point in WW2 until she was sunk?

That seems to be correct. The only structural difference as sunk was a cut down mainmast. See drawings here:

https://www.world-war.co.uk/Kent/cornwall.php

(Note that those drawings were done long before it was discovered that in WW2, 507A and B were basically the same shade - all 507A but either 10% or 13% reflectivity.)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 480 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next