The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 480 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 24  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:10 am 

I saw John's work at Yeovilton which included HMS Nile - I hope he shares the rest of his fleet here on ModelWarships. I'm currently working on HMS Sussex, and I think I need to go back to the drawing board on some details after having seen this beauty.

Peter F :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:48 am 

Inspired subject. Superb execution.

In response to an earlier comment, this particular HMS Cumberland was of course not a pre-dreadnought but a County Class treaty cruiser. Indeed she was the last of the Counties, ending her days in 1959. That makes her somewhat special.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:50 am 

Hi Y'all,

I have posted a few photos relating to this class. My Uncle served on HMS Suffolk and I have got his 'Crossing the Line' Certificate. There are also other photos from the RN Far East Squadron Days.

The link here shows three white hulled Heavy (Treaty) Cruisers:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/frank_deweck/1327591911/

With reference to the modelling side, it is about time somebody did produce a 1/350 (I would accept a 1/400) model. As the USN is represented by the San Francisco, perhaps we can have some hope that there will be an RN representative on its' way, particularly so as Trumpeter are marketing float planes for 30-40's RN battleships and cruisers. Patience, I suppose.

Regards,

Hugh Williams

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:50 am 

Elvis965 wrote:
Beautiful job! :thumbs_up_1:

Someone needs to make some WW2 British cruisers in 1/350 plastic. It's hard to believe no oner's done a Suffolk or Norfolk, Ajax or Exeter, in 1/350 plastic yet. :scratch:

Mike McCabe's tanker was also top notch! Great job!

Bob

CC Lee does a rather nice kit of HMS Aurora in 1/300. It joined my stash last year. I will build it OOB, but at 1/300 there is great potential for superdetailing.

Jack

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:59 am 

Jack Ray wrote:
Elvis965 wrote:
Beautiful job! :thumbs_up_1:

Someone needs to make some WW2 British cruisers in 1/350 plastic. It's hard to believe no oner's done a Suffolk or Norfolk, Ajax or Exeter, in 1/350 plastic yet. :scratch:

Mike McCabe's tanker was also top notch! Great job!

Bob

CC Lee does a rather nice kit of HMS Aurora in 1/300. It joined my stash last year. I will build it OOB, but at 1/300 there is great potential for superdetailing.

Jack

Yep, I have the H.M.S Aurora. I have a problem with the way the hull is formed below the foc'sle, notwithstanding that, it isn't too bad a model with great potential. Pity about it being 1/300, though. On the bright side of things, Battle Class destroyers go well enough with it!

Cheers,

Hugh Williams

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:13 am 

Excellent stuff!
I must say in these last days there were real jewels on display!
This communitiy needs to be commended!
Bravo Zulu!

Guido

Never wear your best trousers when you go out to fight for freedom and truth. - H. IBSEN

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk8zhb1sc4Pe3BRLqq3d-SQ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:15 pm 

Just to remind everybody, the 'County Class' Treaty Cruisers were Second in the most wanted plastic 1/350 model warship poll, trailing HMS Warspite. I hope that the interest in John Barnum's interesting work might also assist in raising their profile....not to mention other RN WW2 warships.

Cheers,

Hugh.

P.S. When I was a teenager, my RN County Class was sold to the Navy of the Irish Republic, having an opinion that our partners across the Irish Sea were needing a bit of beefing up where naval matters were concerned! Was that imagination working overtime, or is it another thread?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:00 am 

These are three excellent models. I really like the paintjobs and especially the extraordinary choice of the timeframes. The Cumberland is a very nice-looking ship. I didn´t know that british ships have ever been painted white and buff after WWI. Mikes tanker is definitely a model I will try to build myself. I love the civil paintsheme on the ship.

Great job guys- Bravo Zulu!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:52 am 

I thought Cumberland was good British sausages, but I seem to have overlook the boat of the same name, I really like it when the quality of a model -both in terms of extreme detailing, realistic photography setting, and handsome painting can make you discover and love some new ships. uplifiting work, I really like it :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:46 am 

Another super build from John.

Cheers,

Rob

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:52 pm 

Some County class photos, won recently at auction:

Attachments:
File comment: Sussex
SussexScan.jpg
SussexScan.jpg [ 70.36 KiB | Viewed 4433 times ]
File comment: Shropshire
ShropshireScan.jpg
ShropshireScan.jpg [ 56.75 KiB | Viewed 4462 times ]

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:12 pm 

I’m in the planning stages for a build of the ISW 1/350 HMS Norfolk kit and I’m thinking about the 1942 time period. On the back cover of Alan Raven’s book Warship Perspectives Camouflage Volume Two: RN 1942 there are two color drawings for Norfolk that I would like to paint the model as. Can anyone please tell me what the colors are, there is nothing in the book that gives this information. I’ve been told they could be 507A, 507C, MS-2 and B-6, any other opinions?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:23 pm 

Roger Torgeson wrote:
Can anyone please tell me what the colors are, there is nothing in the book that gives this information.

Roger,

You may want to check with John Synder of WEM. He may have the answer.

EDIT: I checked in my copy of Man O War 1 - County Class Cruisers (Raven & Roberts) last night. It says of the 1942 pattern that the color "may be in the new range". Not very helpful, I'm afraid.

Meanwhile, another postcard of a "County" - this one of London in the early 30's.

Attachments:
File comment: HMS London, County class cruiser
LondonCA.jpg
LondonCA.jpg [ 58.16 KiB | Viewed 4406 times ]

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:28 am 

Does anyone have any photos, drawings or plans etc showing HMAS Shropshire as of May 1945. I know she carried 15 single bofors but apart from on top of B and X turrets I'd like to know exactly where the others were. Also I want to see what other appearence changes she underwent, allowing me to see if it's possible to model her using WEM's Sussex as a starting point.

thanks
Mike

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:11 am 

Mike I have got a few and a very good "WEBB" Drawing it only shows it with 12 -single Mk3 40mm which tallies vert closely with other information that I have collected over the years
the drawing and photos wont show much detail if I post them here due the size resrtictions ( I scan all my stuff at a very hig rez)
Sent me a PM with you email address and I will sent them to you

Graham Murdoch.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:38 pm 

David P stuff sent please let me know if if you get it I don't trust my IP!!

graham Murdoch

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:30 pm 
Mike
Have you seen Stan Nicholl's HMAS Shropshire sight? It has a line drawing in which you can make out the Bofors positions. It is basically a memoir of his services aboard Shropshire, and he specifically mentions about when they installed the bofors and got rid of the oerlikons. I would just type in HMAS Shropshire-Stan Nicholls.
I hope this is some use and could I ask for future reference, what kit if any are you using for this model?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:40 pm 

Graham - yes I got it and it looks like it may be feasible - I will study the plans.

Phil - I will taKe a look at that. I am thinking of WEM's Sussex as a starting point, seeing as I have it already!

thanks
Mike

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:27 pm 

Hi guys,

I've just started building a computer model of HMS Kent circa 1941/1942. I'm using the Profile Morskie plans which are pretty good, but do not give enough detail in a few important areas. Has anybody done drawings that show how and where the various decks are supported, especially those around the bridge? Strangely, the PM monograph does not have a front view of the bridge.

Is there much on the Kent in the Man O War publication noted above?

Best wishes
Steve P

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:59 pm 

I am painting up HMAS Australia during the Battle of the Coral Sea, May 7-8, 1942 and HMAS Canberra during the Battle of Savo Island, August 9, 1942. I checked the four volumes of Alan Raven's Royal Navy Camo series but did not find any reference to either ship. I have seen one painting of Australia that depicts her in a blue/gray camo pattern and then I have found references to Canberra in a USN Chicago Blue scheme. Does anyone have concrete details on how each ship was painted and the RN or USN colors involved? Info on horizontal deck surfaces would be helpful too.

Thanks,
Chris

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 480 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 24  Next