The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:51 pm 

The black rectangle in the picture to the left of the ribbons is the starboard running lilght.

One possible reason for the shell ejection chutes on the forward 5"/38 mount is to prevent the ejected shells from banging into the superstructure and chipping off the paint.

Phil

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:45 pm 

Another question, well, two actually.

Question 1: In the link below below, on the left side of the upper most platform/deck we see a mounting for what looks like an antenna. Should I add it to my Boston -as she was in Nam? Photo was taken May 1960.
http://www.navsource.org/archives/04/069/04010110.jpg

Question 2: In the 2nd link, top right, there's round platform, to right of the 3" gun director. It has X bracing with gussets. Photo was taken in 1958 I made mine look like that one. Is it correct the Nam era? Did they change to the version in the kit? See link 3 below. BTW what belongs on that round platform?

link 2
http://www.navsource.org/archives/04/069/04010119.jpg

link 3 below checkout photos 3 & 4 of RandyM's beautiful model.
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=76040&start=80

Thanks a lot for the help.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:57 pm 

For my 1/96 CAG-1, I can't seem to find enough views to build the gun directors for the 3" guns. I'm sure I can find more info if had the type and MK #. At the top of the photo, it's the units directly below the U in the word Unknown in the link.

http://www.navsource.org/archives/04/069/04010119.jpg

Any help appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:18 am 

Try this: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Categ ... rol_System

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:45 am 

Thanks Dick, just what i needed, perfect.

Post subject: Antenna
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:31 pm 

Does anyone know what this antenna is? It was common on cruisers, DLGs and other ships in the 70s.

I would like to know dimensions (it is about 5 feet tall), frequencies and what it was used for.

Thanks.

Phil

Attachments:
Mystery antenna.jpg
Mystery antenna.jpg [ 70.89 KiB | Viewed 6915 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:06 am 

It's not the Boston, but I think you will find it interesting, wheres it's a cruiser from the same period. I came across this photo with a very useful identification sheet for the maze of antennas radars on the Providence CLG-6 in 1965. BTW: You need to scroll down to the Providence and click on it to bring the ship up.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... n_1965.jpg

Last edited by Timmy C on Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Replaced URL with direct link to image; merged with Boston thread

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:46 pm 

Thanks,

The CLG-6 antenna information will be useful.

I looked over the picture and I didn't see the antenna. I think it is some way associated with the SPS-37 air search radar that replaced the SPS-29 shown in the photo. The SPS-37s replaced the SPS-29s in the mid to late '60s.

The AN/SPS-37 uses the AS-1092/SP antenna assembly. I think the mystery antenna is an AS-1093/SP, but I haven't been able to find a data sheet for it, so I am not certain.

Phil

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:17 am 

I need photos and/or drawings of the ship's motor-launch.I hope that's what it's called? I searched here and found none. The photo in the link below shows the boat I like to get some info on.

Any help appreciated.

http://www.navsource.org/archives/04/069/04010169.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:23 am 

http://archive.hnsa.org/doc/boatcat/index.htm#toc

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:17 pm 
Cag.
The director right under the 'U' is a MK-56 GFCS director, The Boston and most of the other Baltimore type cruisers carried 6 of these during the 1950's and 60's.
Scale Shipyard makes these in 1:96 scale as well as the main MK-34 and the MK-37 directors thatthese ships carried. The SPG-49 directors should be coming out about the end of the year.
It is interesting that these ships started out with the missile directors being based on a late mod MK-37 director.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:30 am 

Thanks for the info guys; great list Russ.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:50 pm 

does anyone have a copy of the instructions to Yankee Model of the Boston. I have reached out to Brandon they don't have any copies.
Thank you in advance

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:06 pm 

What specifics are you looking for?

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:17 pm 

I have the Yankee Model works kit. I was looking for the PE instructions. I think I can follow the build that Randy did. However, I am still looking for a wooden replacement deck. and few other items.
thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:14 pm 

I need a source for photos and/or drawings of the WT doors as used on the Baltimore class CAs.
Whereas some will be open, I need both views inside and outside. With my model of the Canberra - CA2 in 1:96, the more detail the better.

When I get the info I;ll mold a buck and make them from fiberglass resin. If you're building a 1:96 model and need WT doors let me know and I will send u a buck to pour your own, nc.
thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:49 pm 

Do you know how many doors and what types were used on CA-2?

The forward superstructure will probably be the same as the WWII configuration, but all bets are off as to what was used on the aft superstructure missile house conversion.

Just looking at a few photos of the forward superstructure I saw:

1 quick acting water tight (QAWT) door with the wheel mechanism 26"x66"?
1 eight dog waffle pattern door 26"x66"?
2 eight dog double vertical rib door 26"x66"?

On the aft superstructure I can see several waffle pattern doors, some appear to be the standard 26"x66" opening but at least one is significantly wider. I can't count the dogs in the photos I have. Looks like there may be some shorter than 66" high.

Do you know if the missile house was built of armor plating? If so, the doors will be an entirely different type from the rest of the ship.

When the ships were converted to missile ships the yards just used whatever was laying around for the ordinary 26"x66" doors, especially doors that were removed from the original ship.

Here are the different types of variations I have seen:

Door type: air tight, water tight and armored. Air tight and water tight look pretty much alike.

Number of dogs: 3, 4, 6, 8 and 10.

Dog action: individual, quick acting wheel with dogs on the door, quick acting lever with dogs on the door, quick acting lever with dogs on the door frame.

Surface type: smooth, waffle and dual vertical rib. There are innumerable different waffle patterns!

View port: none, small and large.

I almost forgot to mention the type of watershed over the door (none, curved, pointed) and whether it has a dog wrench beside the door frame.

For my USS Oklahoma City CLG-5 model I discovered 25 different types of water tight and air tight doors on the superstructure - and I think I have just discovered yet another type of air tight door!

The type of door depends upon the position fore/aft and low/high.

The doors on the fore part of the forward superstructure on the main deck were ten dog reinforced water tight doors - to take pounding by green water in heavy seas. Aft on the main deck they were eight dog water tight, mostly individual dogs but with a few quick acting (one wheel type and two different lever types).

On the O1 level the doors were eight dog water tight. The O2 and O3 levels were eight and six dog water tight forward and water or air tight midships. O4 and O5 were mostly eight dog air tight, but it looks like there were some triple hinge three dog air tight doors at the upper levels.

It can be very difficult to figure out the type of door from photos! I have been puzzling over this for ten years.

If you can figure out what you need I have some digitized blueprints for the doors used on Cleveland class cruisers during WWII. However, there must be more than fifty different types of water tight and air tight doors in these blueprints!

Another source of drawings is the DVD of blueprints for the Fletcher class destroyers that was available from the Destroyer History Foundation (looks like they don't offer it any more). It also contained many drawings of stanchions, hand rails, ladders, etc. common to all Navy ships during WWII.

Phil

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:37 am 

DrPR wrote:
Do you know how many doors and what types were used on CA-2?

The forward superstructure will probably be the same as the WWII configuration, but all bets are off as to what was used on the aft superstructure missile house conversion.

Just looking at a few photos of the forward superstructure I saw:

1 quick acting water tight (QAWT) door with the wheel mechanism 26"x66"?
1 eight dog waffle pattern door 26"x66"?
2 eight dog double vertical rib door 26"x66"?

On the aft superstructure I can see several waffle pattern doors, some appear to be the standard 26"x66" opening but at least one is significantly wider. I can't count the dogs in the photos I have. Looks like there may be some shorter than 66" high.

Do you know if the missile house was built of armor plating? If so, the doors will be an entirely different type from the rest of the ship.

When the ships were converted to missile ships the yards just used whatever was laying around for the ordinary 26"x66" doors, especially doors that were removed from the original ship.

Here are the different types of variations I have seen:

Door type: air tight, water tight and armored. Air tight and water tight look pretty much alike.

Number of dogs: 3, 4, 6, 8 and 10.

Dog action: individual, quick acting wheel with dogs on the door, quick acting lever with dogs on the door, quick acting lever with dogs on the door frame.

Surface type: smooth, waffle and dual vertical rib. There are innumerable different waffle patterns!

View port: none, small and large.

I almost forgot to mention the type of watershed over the door (none, curved, pointed) and whether it has a dog wrench beside the door frame.

For my USS Oklahoma City CLG-5 model I discovered 25 different types of water tight and air tight doors on the superstructure - and I think I have just discovered yet another type of air tight door!

The type of door depends upon the position fore/aft and low/high.

The doors on the fore part of the forward superstructure on the main deck were ten dog reinforced water tight doors - to take pounding by green water in heavy seas. Aft on the main deck they were eight dog water tight, mostly individual dogs but with a few quick acting (one wheel type and two different lever types).

On the O1 level the doors were eight dog water tight. The O2 and O3 levels were eight and six dog water tight forward and water or air tight midships. O4 and O5 were mostly eight dog air tight, but it looks like there were some triple hinge three dog air tight doors at the upper levels.

It can be very difficult to figure out the type of door from photos! I have been puzzling over this for ten years.

If you can figure out what you need I have some digitized blueprints for the doors used on Cleveland class cruisers during WWII. However, there must be more than fifty different types of water tight and air tight doors in these blueprints!

Another source of drawings is the DVD of blueprints for the Fletcher class destroyers that was available from the Destroyer History Foundation (looks like they don't offer it any more). It also contained many drawings of stanchions, hand rails, ladders, etc. common to all Navy ships during WWII.

Phil

Dang, now I know why the photos I've seen are so confusing. Thanks for the info. BTW I think the movie In Harm's Way was filmed aboard either CA-1 or CA-2 and has some close ups to doors. I will likely limit the number of door types. Thanks Phil

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:42 pm 

I think most of the movie was filmed on the USS Saint Paul, with some shots of the forward half of the USS Boston. I haven't seen it for a while but there might be some good shots of the doors. The Caine Mutiny would be another movie to watch for doors.

Phil

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:18 pm 

Although I'm not ready to run one up yet, what size and where should I put Old Glory?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next