The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:55 pm 

Different size flags were flown for different occasions. I think a 120" x 72" flag (10 ft x 6 ft) was the common every day size - at least on the CLGs.

If you are modeling the ship in port the flag should be flying from the flag staff on the fantail - and the Union Jack from the jack staff on the bow. Ships also flew pennants from halyards rigged at high points on the mast to indicate if the Captain was aboard, and the Admiral or Chief of Staff for flagships.

At sea the flag was flown on a halyard from a point high on the ship's mast. This varied for different ship types. Ships sometimes also flew signal flags with the ship's call sign when entering or leaving port or in formation with other ships.

On special occasions or holidays really huge flags might be flown. The size was limited by the length of the flag staff.

Phil

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:10 am 

Thanks, DR. I remember saluting the flag aft when boarding a ship but my model will be in an At Sea as in link photo below. Thus I'll go with highest one. BTW I plan on bringing my CAG-2 to the Warships underway 1/96 meet in October. Should be fun.

http://www.navsource.org/archives/04/070/04010224.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:29 pm 

Don't know if you have discovered this yet, but the Terrier launching systems (and Talos and Tarter) were patented. There are dozens of patents for parts and large assemblies with hundreds of drawings. The missiles were also patented. These patents are declassified and available online through the US Patent Office or Google Patents.

Patents were typically for the earliest versions of each type of system or missile. The Talos missile patent has over a hundred drawings and I don't know how many hundreds of drawings for the launching system (but not the launcher!!). And there are hundreds of pages of text explaining how everything worked - all you ever wanted to know and a whole lot more!

And, if that isn't enough, all of the technical manuals for the missiles, launching systems and radars are declassified and in the US National Archives. They contain even more drawings. An estimated 11,000 pages for the Talos system!

Phil

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:22 am 

DrPR wrote:
Don't know if you have discovered this yet, but the Terrier launching systems (and Talos and Tarter) were patented. There are dozens of patents for parts and large assemblies with hundreds of drawings. The missiles were also patented. These patents are declassified and available online through the US Patent Office or Google Patents.

Patents were typically for the earliest versions of each type of system or missile. The Talos missile patent has over a hundred drawings and I don't know how many hundreds of drawings for the launching system (but not the launcher!!). And there are hundreds of pages of text explaining how everything worked - all you ever wanted to know and a whole lot more!

And, if that isn't enough, all of the technical manuals for the missiles, launching systems and radars are declassified and in the US National Archives. They contain even more drawings. An estimated 11,000 pages for the Talos system!

Phil

Thanks for the info; I will check it out. Give a look at the video of the last meet of the 1/100-1/96 group attached link I think you will find it very interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmnY5K- ... e=youtu.be

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:34 pm 

Nice!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:11 pm 
This year's meet is October 7-9 in Rocky Mount, North Carolina City Lake. We typically arrive Thursday and run ships Friday through Sunday. This run is restricted to 1/96 or 1/100 scale models.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:07 am 
Randy could you please tell me where you got the props and anchors for your cag 1 build. Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:15 pm 

So I see Orange Hobby will be releasing a 1/350 BOSTON. I assume this will be scaled-up from their 1/700 version. Has anybody here built the OH 1:700 BOSTON? Any comments on accuracy or quality? I’ve found their 1/350 PHM and KNOX to be very nice and am hoping BOSTON will follow suit.

Thanks ahead,

Keith

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:54 pm 

I just received the Orange Hobby 1/350 USS Boston CAG-1. I'm no expert but it looks the part with good crisp resin parts and waterline/ full hull option. My problem, looking forward, is complete lack of rigging plan anywhere. Have looked at Navsource until I'm cross-eyed, Googled, checked Floating Drydock- can't find anything or pictures clear enough to just give a clue. Anybody can help? Would be appreciated.
Walt

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:31 pm 

Hi All,
Wondering who still has the instruction of yankee 1/350 boston and willing to share a copy. Thanks!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9