The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 394 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 20  Next
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:54 am 

Hi folks,

I received the the Flyhawk Set for the 1:350 Prinz Eugen and it is amazing. My only concern is, that after installing, Iwould need new glasses.

Greetings from Germany

smoke

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:51 pm 

smoke wrote:
Hi folks,

I received the the Flyhawk Set for the 1:350 Prinz Eugen and it is amazing. My only concern is, that after installing, Iwould need new glasses.

Greetings from Germany

smoke

Because model building improves eyesight? :big_grin:

Please share progress on your PG ... and take care of the width of the boot-topping, VERY eyefriendly on KM ships. The had future model builders in mind when designing/painting those ships ... :heh:

Happy modelling ~ Olaf!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:26 pm 

Hello everybody,

here a link useful for modelers of the Admiral Hipper class on what to do on the hull to make their models perfect :

http://www.kbismarck.org/forum/viewtopi ... 438#p46438

Bye Antonio :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:08 pm 

Antonio Bonomi wrote:
Hello everybody,

here a link useful for modelers of the Admiral Hipper class on what to do on the hull to make their models perfect :

http://www.kbismarck.org/forum/viewtopi ... 438#p46438

Bye Antonio :thumbs_up_1:

NOTE: RELATES MAINLY TO FULL-HULL MODELERS; WATERLINERS NEED NOT APPLY! :wave_1:

Sincerely,

The Great White Snark. :heh:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:00 am 

RNfanDan wrote:
NOTE: RELATES MAINLY TO FULL-HULL MODELERS; WATERLINERS NEED NOT APPLY! :wave_1:

If you model a heavy swell, then you're right. But that plate was visible not only when the ships were drydocked. And I wonder that nobody before stumbled over this detail... on my 1/700 PG I reduced the thickness of it a bit as I found it being a tad on the over-scale side... :big_grin: (and then I almost destroyed it by applying too much paint ... :Mad_5:

Happy modelling ~ Olaf!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:37 am 
Glad I found this I'm building trumpy's 1/350 Hipper.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:57 pm 

Hi all,
I'm new to this board but am amazed at the knowledge of those here. I have the 1/400 Heller Prinz Eugen and wanted to convert it to the Blucher as she was at the time of loss in the Drobak Narrows. Does anyone know of a site or post that would explain what needs to be done with the Heller kit?
Thank you in advance for any help.

Don

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:09 pm 

You need a PG hull and the HP superstructure, both of course with some differences.

You may wish to contact Antonio (if he misses your question) as he did what you are planning to do:

Click to Blücher

Happy converting ~ Olaf!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:43 am 

Perhaps this book could be helpful:

Blücher. A Picture Documentation by John H. Østby, Wera Forlag, 2009 (in Norwegian, English and German)
http://www.modellmarine.de/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2543:john-h-ostby-bluecher-eine-dokumentation-in-bildern&catid=157

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:04 am 

Great, thanks for that! :thumbs_up_1:

Happy reading ~ Olaf!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:40 am 

Hello All,

I'm new to the site, I haven't built a model in years, but I just got back into it. I've done a few Tamiya kits before in the past on a smaller scale. Just picked up a 1/700 Tamiya Prinz Eugen waterline kit and purchased the PE kit from Tom's. Currently researching what paints i'll need and how to do rigging(i've never attempted before). I'll make sure to post up pics as I go.

One question I have is, I've seen the Prince with and without blast bags around the main turrents on some models. Did the ship always have them?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:46 am 

Hi ~ Please keep us updated on your research results regarding the colours ... :yeah:

With regard to rigging, please have a look at the Tipps and Tricks section in this forum.

There were blast bags on the ship for most of its career. It could be that you see photos without them, I'm not sure when they came on board, maybe after the sea trials?

Happy modelling ~ Olaf!

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:21 pm 

I think I'm going to paint the PE in this paint scheme.

Also a few pictures from Janes WWII ships that I have.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:34 am 

Has anyone used the brass barrels and brass rods for masts on the 1/700 Prinz Eugen kit before? Any tips/tricks?

Also with painting have most of you that built a 1/700 scale kit, have you painted the kit with spray paints? Air Brush? or brushed on the paint? If I decide to brush on the paint on larger sections will it look ok?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to cover every aspect before I begin the build.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 1:45 pm 

The alleged Prinz Eugen photo on the page of Jane's that you posted is actually Blucher.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 1:46 pm 

I used L'Arsenal (IIRC) brass barrels and Flyhawk masts. Here's a snap taken shortly after I put the masts on the model:
If I remember correctly, I used the two forward 'legs' from the kit and I had to shorten them a bit. There was a problem with the railing going around the searchlight platform, but I honestly can't remember what it was and how I solved it. I may had to do with the slight outward slant of the railing - which I decided to neglect at 1/700 ... :whistle:

40. Bofors wrote:
Also with painting have most of you that built a 1/700 scale kit, have you painted the kit with spray paints? Air Brush? or brushed on the paint? If I decide to brush on the paint on larger sections will it look ok?
I guess so, depends on you painting abilities. I hand-brushed the entire model.

40. Bofors wrote:
Sorry for all the questions, just trying to cover every aspect before I begin the build.
No need to say sorry. But don't forget the fun of it, building the model. :heh:

Happy modelling ~ Olaf!

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:14 am 

Dick J wrote:
The alleged Prinz Eugen photo on the page of Jane's that you posted is actually Blucher.

My book is at least 12 years old. Maybe they've corrected the photo/information by now.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:15 am 

Olaf Held wrote:
I used L'Arsenal (IIRC) brass barrels and Flyhawk masts. Here's a snap taken shortly after I put the masts on the model:
If I remember correctly, I used the two forward 'legs' from the kit and I had to shorten them a bit. There was a problem with the railing going around the searchlight platform, but I honestly can't remember what it was and how I solved it. I may had to do with the slight outward slant of the railing - which I decided to neglect at 1/700 ... :whistle:

40. Bofors wrote:
I guess so, depends on you painting abilities. I hand-brushed the entire model.

40. Bofors wrote:
No need to say sorry. But don't forget the fun of it, building the model. :heh:

Happy modelling ~ Olaf!

Thanks for all the help Olaf!

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:52 am 

40. Bofors wrote:
Dick J wrote:

My book is at least 12 years old. Maybe they've corrected the photo/information by now.

These "compiled" Jane's books are reprints of selected pages from the original annual releases of the time. Any mistakes they made then perpetuate because they don't usually re-edit the actual material. There are several quick "tells" that can help separate Prinz Eugen (PE) photos from those of Blucher. PE's mainmast had the support legs trailing forward. Blucher's trailed to the sides and aft, as on Hipper. The PE's catapult was adjacent to the funnel, while Blucher's and Hipper's were adjacent to the mainmast. The cranes on PE were bent in the middle while those on Blucher and Hipper were bent more toward the end. The funnel platform on Hipper and Blucher was relatively high on the stack while PE's was lower to allow the spherical searchlight cover (originally mounted but later removed) to meet the side of the stack below the base of the funnel cap when in the raised position. On Hipper and Blucher, turret Bruno barely cleared the bridge, while PE had a noticable gap between the two. All too often, photos of Blucher and Prinz Eugen are interchanged and the captions (as in this case) can't be taken at face value. I find it helpful to use each ship's unique features to verify the ident before I get too committed to incorporating the wrong configurations into my build.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:18 am 

I have Trumpeter's 1/350 Prinz Eugen kit. Is a super detailing up set like Flyhawks Etc, really necessary for a proper build of this model, or is it a decent and proper build straight from the box with the PE Trumpeter includes? I'm not very familiar with the specs on this ship, so I would not know if it has any errors or not, or if details need replacing with aftermarket stuff to address deficiencies.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ThomasEJohnson

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 394 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 20  Next