The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 394 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 20  Next
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:12 am 

Olaf Held wrote:
Yes, and so wrong when compared to their 1/350 ... (sorry) ...

Olaf..

Have you seen these two kits?

I built the old 1/350 mold of Titanic when it was the Entex release back in the early 1980s. Even then, the Entex hull was chock full of pits and was showing it's age. The moulding plate detail a bit of a mess. The coaling ports with the "X" on them. Ack! The decks were warped as were those promenade deck sides. Flash all over the smaller parts. A real devil of a kit to get together without pulling your hair out or getting a bottle of liquor to "assist" building it. {LOL!}

You really should take a look at the 1/400 version they made. It's completely different!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:16 am 

Morton_In_Formosa wrote:
You really should take a look at the 1/400 version they made. It's completely different!
This is the problem. The 350 is better in terms of accuracy. Try the 1998 'Accurized' version from Academy (or Minicraft or whoever made it). The problem of the 400 is that they mirrored the B- and C-deck window configuration from one side to the other whereas the actual configuration is correctly displayed on the 350. The only other plastic kit I'm aware of having this detail depicted correctly, is the Revell 570. All the others made the same mistake.

I'm not talking about tiny bits such as wrongly placed vents or bollards, this window thing is really a great flaw.

The 400, with its newer tooling, may fit better and may be built easier, I agree, but I always would prefer the 350 (the late ones) ...

Check the TRMA-site for more details about all the kits: http://titanicmodel.com/
(you may have to dig deep, but it's somewhere there ...)

Happy modelling ~ Olaf

Last edited by Olaf Held on Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:42 pm 

My Trumpeter Prinz Eugen in 1/350 has arrived... :big_grin:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:24 pm 

Some comparison photos of Trumpeter's Hipper & Eugen hulls posted over on the S/N site.

http://members.boardhost.com/Warship/ms ... 15899.html

Check them out before they dissappear off the front page.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:11 am 

Looks promising, thanks for sharing, Dave! :thumbs_up_1:

Happy modelling ~ Olaf!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:30 pm 

Hi all,

maybe something of your interest. I have reviewed Trumpeters 1/350 Admiral Hipper on Modellversium. Text is German but I hope the photos will tell the story!
http://www.modellversium.de/kit/artikel.php?id=4622
In my opinion a well done kit which represent Hipper well in his 1941 fit. The small AA guns are not as detailed as Dragon 20mm Oerlikon and 40mm Bofors but the rest is still ok!

AKA "Painter"
VMF'06 - German Gamblers
Veritable Modelling Friends 2006, Germany

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:30 pm 

Can anybody tell me if the 350th scale Hipper from Trumpy still includes the S-100 as a freebie? I know the Prinz Eugen had one, but if Hipper does, that gets my money!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:55 am 

prowler0000 wrote:
Can anybody tell me if the 350th scale Hipper from Trumpy still includes the S-100 as a freebie? I know the Prinz Eugen had one, but if Hipper does, that gets my money!!

Only the Prinz Eugen kit contains the E-Boat!
Feel free to take a look to the link I have posted before, here you can see all the sprues of the Hipper kit.

AKA "Painter"
VMF'06 - German Gamblers
Veritable Modelling Friends 2006, Germany

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:08 pm 

I picked up the 1/350 Prinz Eugen today. A list of all the changes that need to be made to make it a May 1941 fit was posted a few pages ago, but now I can't find it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ThomasEJohnson

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:21 pm 

See the post slightly over half way down: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=8372&start=75

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:37 am 

Well, after months of looking for the Trumpeter P.E 350th, I managed to find Admiral Hipper.....

& I feel a bit cheated, actually!!!

OK, I knew there was no S-100 in the box, but what happened to the 3rd etch fret?!?! the one with the stairs, Funneltop & crane davits..... :anyone:

OK, AH is a beautyful ship, & the kit more than stands up on its own merits: but that etch fret would have helped seal the deal!! & its only £1.50 less here in the UK...

I`d have paid that for the extra bits!!! :cry_3: :Mad_5:

Anyhoo, rant over.....

Looking forward to some peace & quiet to enjoy the kit in full!

Oh, & AH & PE are suitably unalike that I >might< be able to justify another purchase in the (not very distant) future.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:27 pm 

Aside from the review on this site of P.E, & the German-language review noted above, are there any other web-based reviews for either A.H or P.E?

Seems to be a lean subject....

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:54 pm 

Here's at least one for PG:
http://www.modelshipwrights.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=4524

Happy reading ~ Olaf!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:56 am 

Maarten Schönfeld wrote:
Hello all,

Backdating to 22-27 May 1941 Operation “Rheinübung”

Step 10, parts G12/13 on B3/4. The two forward high-angle AA-directors are lacking their domed tops (in German: "Wackeltopf"). This pair was handed over to the Russians, together with the aft pair from Bismarck and together with the 3rd ship of the second batch of Hipper class cruisers, the Lützow (Feb. 1940). In place of the domed tops, ordinary 3m-rangefinders were installed. Build these from scratch, or use them from a Bismarck kit.

Step 10 part A11. The AA platform in front of the conning tower, directly above the Admiral's Bridge, was narrower and just featured a railing and a searchlight instead of the Flakvierling. Modify the kit part and add the searchlight, I use a spare from the Revell Bismarck kit.

Step 14 parts A5/6. The AA platforms on either side of the funnel were searchlight platforms, with hemispherical rotatable covers. Similar to Bismarck. Platforms can be modified by cutting off rear platform extension, and making fixed part of domed hood from scratch (Evergreen strip). Rotatable dome parts from Bismarck kit, or modified from spare Wackeltopf rangefinder (G12/13) which has the same diameter.

Are there after market parts for the 3 meter rangefinders and searchlights/searchlight covers, or would I have to scratchbuild these? If scratchbuilding is necessary, what is the best way to approach this?

thanks!

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:18 pm 

Hi

My 1/700 Trumpeter Admiral Hipper has just turned up and has prompted some questions. It's the 1940 fit and I want to model the ship in its camou scheme. I know the hull should be DKM51 and the superstructure etc DKM50 but it appears to have darker blue/grey camou over the standard hull/superstructure colours. Does anyone know what this colour should be? Also what colour should the metal decks and turret tops be? They are depicted in the kit as being different colours.

Secondly, I'm trying to work out the differences in Adm Hipper (1940) and Blucher. From pics I've seen it looks like Blucher has a different shape bow but are there any other differences? If there aren't any big differences I'm thinking of getting another one to do as Blucher.

thanks
Mike

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:43 am 

Did anyone notice that the Hipper 1940 kit has what appears to be the 1941 outfit boxart (single 20mm on B-turret visible, also Seetakt radar visible). It will be interesting to see what boxart the 1941 kit has. I've seen magazines with the release date months in later than actual but boxart?!? :D

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:48 am 

Here's the 1941 art:
http://www.trumpeter-china.com/war513/p ... asp?id=868

Here's the 1940 art:
http://www.trumpeter-china.com/war513/p ... asp?id=829

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:21 pm 

Timmy C wrote:

Please have a look at the main masts in the box art images...

Brings this one back to memory:
Morton_In_Formosa wrote:
Admiral Hipper now available from Hobby Search. Take a look here!

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10098331

Also..take a VERY CLOSE look at the main mast. Looks like Trumpeter forgot the top part of the main mast entirely?! It shouldn't be hard to scratch build. I'm looking at my Koop/Schmolke book on the Hipper class right now and see several pictures with the top mast missing {lowered down? did this ship have telescoping main mast and foremast?}

I have yet to find out what was going on there on top of the main mast. Do we look ata platform with a solid bulwark or is it ralining with dodgers?

Happy wondering ~ Olaf!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:27 pm 

Olaf Held wrote:
Timmy C wrote:

Please have a look at the main masts in the box art images...

Brings this one back to memory:
Morton_In_Formosa wrote:
Admiral Hipper now available from Hobby Search. Take a look here!

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10098331

Also..take a VERY CLOSE look at the main mast. Looks like Trumpeter forgot the top part of the main mast entirely?! It shouldn't be hard to scratch build. I'm looking at my Koop/Schmolke book on the Hipper class right now and see several pictures with the top mast missing {lowered down? did this ship have telescoping main mast and foremast?}

I have yet to find out what was going on there on top of the main mast. Do we look ata platform with a solid bulwark or is it ralining with dodgers?

Happy wondering ~ Olaf!

The mast in the Trumpeter ad is not as in the kit. The ad shows only the LOWER section of main mast, there is also an upper section in the kit.

I'm building the Trumpeter 1/700 Hipper I will then compare it to my old Revell 1/700 HIpper that I spend loads of hours changing to correct its many problems. It will probably be crude compared to the new kit.

One of the problems I found with Adm. Hipper 1940 as Trumpy labels it is they use the wrong main foretop director it should be the tall two level one from all the pictures of AH during the Norway campaign. The instructions also show no radar, but AH should have FuMO 27 on face of radar office and aTimor frame on rear. The double height director was definetly present BEFORE AH sailed in 'Wesserbung' based on pictures of the troops loading on AH.

If you build the Kit staight from the instructions you will have a freak ship, in that the superstructer has parts of the pre Atlantic bow refit in the foretop director and the post refit funnel and hull. I'll probably find more but I've only had the kit for a few weeks and have just started it.

“Oh”

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:53 pm 

All Hands! Be advised that our PE 35124 for the 1/350 Prinz Eugen is ready and shipping; that our PE 35143 Late-War Kriegsmarine AA Weapons is ready and shipping; and that our PE 35141 1/350 Admiral Hipper/Blucher set is at the etchers and will be shipping in 2 - 3 weeks--all from the hands of our own Peter "Mad Pete" Hall.

Shady Grove Farm on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ShadyGroveDuckEggs

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 394 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 20  Next