The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 406 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 21  Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:19 pm 
Just wondering if Trumpeter's 1/700 1940 Admiral Hipper could be turned into a 1940 Blucher and what if anything needs to be changed? It always annoys me when a company does two out of three ships in a class but more than one version of the two and none of the third.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:35 pm 

Forum member Stein Gildberg did that in scale 350. You could use his model and build log as a guide.

In my opinion, this is one of the best Blücher models around, if not THE best.

Happy converting ~ Olaf!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:42 pm 
Hi
I'm backdating Trumpy's Prinz Eugen Kit to 1941 fit and as such I understand the forward range finders were exposed (3m and 4m?)
Can anyone point me in the direction of drawings or aftermarket kits of these as I cannot seem to find either?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:56 am 

Russelle wrote:
Hi
I'm backdating Trumpy's Prinz Eugen Kit to 1941 fit and as such I understand the forward range finders were exposed (3m and 4m?)
Can anyone point me in the direction of drawings or aftermarket kits of these as I cannot seem to find either?

Thanks.

I did it by taking parts from a Tamiya 1/350 Bismarck kit that I had as an extra kit for such tasks due to a very good sale price. The previously known WEM photo etch for the Prinz Eugen had the appropriate parts and I believe Toms Modelworks now has the licence for this.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:16 pm 
Currently working on the same thing.

I got the rangefinders from a Dragon Z-32 destroyer, which came with an extra set (not sure if this was intentional or I just got lucky).

Also theres a smaller set of rangefinders just behind the main ones which should be exposed in the 1941 configuration, but comes in a boxy housing for the '45 version. I think these can be replaced with the Veteran Models directors and rangefinders set.

Also get the Veteran Modes Kriegsmarine searchlight set to replace the Flakvierlings.

Curently my main challenge is to build the protective domes for the funnel mounted searchlights. Taking measurements from the Bismarck kit, I think I'll try to sculpt them in CAD and have them 3d printed.

One last thing is to change is the searchlight patform on the conning tower. The WEM PE set has the correct repacement with railing (though I suppose it would fairly simple to remove the solid plastic splinter shild and repace it with PE railing.

And of course AA armament and radars need to be backdated to the correct configuration. :)

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:13 pm 
I got the range finders from Revell's spares department! Tick for Revell! :)

For the search light domes, use the spare set of range finder domes as they are the same diameter. Then you just need to scratch build the section to the funnel from sheet Styrene.

Currently I'm building the ship's boats and the kit parts are pretty uninspired to say the least.

I've been thinking about modelling them up in 3d CAD and getting them printed on Shapeways or a similar service. Can I get a show of hands please from anyone else who would be interested in having these available as AM items, before I commit to investing the time and money required to do this?

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:16 am 

Russelle wrote:

Currently I'm building the ship's boats and the kit parts are pretty uninspired to say the least.

I've been thinking about modelling them up in 3d CAD and getting them printed on Shapeways or a similar service. Can I get a show of hands please from anyone else who would be interested in having these available as AM items, before I commit to investing the time and money required to do this?

I would welcome a better set of boats for Prinz Eugen (this is 1/350, right?). I've just returned to working on my model after having shelved it for almost 10 years. :thumbs_up_1:
:wave_1:

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:31 pm 

Hi Biggles2!

yes, I would model them up in 1/350 as that is the only scale I'm familiar with in terms of ships boats.

At the moment though, sourcing the plans is proving challenging-can anyone recommend where to find them?

Russelle

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:20 pm 

Maybe you could cheat a bit and use Dragon's boats from Scharnhorst and their German Zerstorers as reference.
:wave_1:

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:51 pm 

Russelle, pm your email address & i'll send you what I have for the hipper class boats.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:26 pm 

Hi Biggles2

unfortunately I don't have Dragon's kits available

Thanks David

PM on its way

Russ

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 1:32 am 

Hi,
I am scratchbuilding the Prinz at the moment in scale 1/200, and in between I am trying to find out the correct paint scheme for 1945 - at the surrender in Copengagen.
One thing I cannot figure out is if the ship actually had a black waterline.
From the photos taken at the the ship's launch, where the bottom is completely exposed, it doesn't look like it.
All the other photos I have of the ship she is too deep in the water to be conclusive.
Does anyone have any information on this?

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:04 am 

German ships of that time never had a black waterline. It was always dark grey. According to Eric Leon & John Asmussen, German Naval Camouflage 1942-1945, the waterline was darker than the dark grey above.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 3:04 am 

Thanks a lot maxim

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:00 pm 

Hello Poul, the dark grey waterline color was called out in KM regulations as RAL7016. I don't know what paint line you prefer but it is available from most that deal in naval paints. I like colorcoats because it leaves a slight sheen, which replicates the antifouling agents in the paint.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:06 am 

Hey everybody,

I have the trumpeter 1:350 kit in my stash, and have taken due note of the messages setting forth modications needed to backdate the glorious Prinz Eugen to 1941. Since then, there are some excitiing aftermarket products to be had, namely this:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/GKLRM ... ngefinders

I wanted to know if I needed to get anything else besides this for this backdating purpose.

I have also noted this prodcut:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/EKWL8 ... ngefinders

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

Edit: after reviewing the thread in question, the notes say step 14 requires "searchlight platforms, with hemispherical rotatable covers." AM I correct to presume these will fit the bill? https://www.shapeways.com/product/EKWL8 ... ngefinders

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:13 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Sauerteig wrote:
....after reviewing the thread in question, the notes say step 14 requires "searchlight platforms, with hemispherical rotatable covers." AM I correct to presume these will fit the bill? https://www.shapeways.com/product/EKWL8 ... ngefinders

I think this product will better meet your 1941 searchlight cover needs:

http://shpws.me/ON7Z

Thanks!

Attachments:
1-350 Prinz Eugen Searchlight Covers (1941).jpg
1-350 Prinz Eugen Searchlight Covers (1941).jpg [ 28.78 KiB | Viewed 3672 times ]

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:40 am 

Hi,

Just started to work on Eugen and decided to build it as in early May -41. Unfortunately I can't find too many detailed photos from this time and wonder if anyone knows what these tubes are - in Trumpys kit part F7. I can't see them in early photos, although it is maybe because of the poor quality, but on the late US photos they are clearly visible.

Risto

Attachments:
File comment: Late picture, tubes clearly visible.
tubes.jpg
tubes.jpg [ 191.34 KiB | Viewed 3582 times ]
File comment: Picture from 1941, can't see the tubes.
early.jpg
early.jpg [ 171.5 KiB | Viewed 3582 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:29 am 
Only a guess. Containers to hold cleaning rods for the guns.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:27 pm 

Or containers for replacement barrels?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 406 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 21  Next