The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 394 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 20  Next
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:16 pm 

Does anyone know if Shipcraft #16Admiral Hipper Class Cruisers covers the 1940/41 configuration of the Prinz Eugen? Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:19 pm 

Dan Banks wrote:
I am doing a Blucher out of the Hipper kit and making a PE during cerberus, so I am afraid I don't have another set to spare.
Good luck Dan

Do you have any pics of this Hipper-Blucher conversion?

So you used the Trumpeter 1940 Hipper kit, I take it?

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Gents,

Does anyone know if the Hipper and Blucher ever did sea trials or did training workups together? Both were commissioned in 1939, so that gives sometime before the Blucher was sunk in April 1940 in the Battle of Drobak Sound during the invasion of Norway.

Can't seem to find a picture of the two sisters in the same picture in an online search, if one exists at all.

Lastly, wasn't it a waste that their sister Seydlitz was converted to a carrier when she was 95% complete? Hitler's changing priorities (e.g. focusing on carriers too late) really screwed up their chances in the naval campaigns of that war. The Seydlitz could have at least provided the KM with another raider to attack the Murmansk or Mid-Atlantic convoys.

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:42 pm 

Hello Sir: Yes I used the TR Hipper kit as a basis and have completed the hull with more pronounced bow, made most of the conversions to the bridge and funnel, put lifejacket bins on turret B & C, and started on mast structures. I used Stein Gildbergs build tutorial for most of the work and added a few things I noticed from photo's and drawings. I am getting a new I-phone next week so I will see if I can manage to send pictures. Outside add ons have included Wem PE, Pontos deck, Flyhawk PE, LaArsenel stuff, and parts bin. Haven't worked much on it lately, back issues make it hard to sit forward for more than 10-15 minutes. I am not aware of Blucher and Hipper ever operating together, but that doesn't mean it never happened. As far as Seydlitz goes, her range was too short and machinery too troublesome to be good as cruiser or carrier. I love the looks of the Hipper class, but they were probably worst use of naval rescources the Germans made. Maybe the K-class light cruisers but at least they were able to serve as training vessels.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:45 pm 

Hello to all.

I am scratchbuilding Prinz Eugen in 1/200, and I wondered if the is any interest on the forum to follow my build.
If that is the case I will gladly post pics of the progress (or is there a different subforum to start a thread?)

Here is a pic of my model in its current stage:

Cheers .... Poul

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:15 am 

poulw wrote:
Hello to all.I am scratchbuilding Prinz Eugen in 1/200, and I wondered if the is any interest on the forum to follow my build.
If that is the case I will gladly post pics of the progress (or is there a different subforum to start a thread?)

Yes, I am sure there would be interest. Please start a new thread in the "Works in Progress" forum:

viewforum.php?f=59

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:40 am 

Poul,

There certainly is interest here! Looks like you are off to a great start.

You should post in the "Online Scratchbuild Projects" section. Start your own Prince Eugen thread.

Phil

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:28 pm 

hail ya: your picture looks awsome. did you scratch build everything? if not what aftermarket parts and from where? more please!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:07 pm 
The Prinz Eugen and the Hipper and Blucher had slightly differing hulls.

Do the Trumpeter 1/700 kits reflect the different hulls or are do the kits use the same hull?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:33 am 

There is not kit of the Blücher by Trumpeter. Admiral Hipper and Prinz Eugen have different hulls. A strange difference between the two hulls in addition to the expected at the bow and the length is that Admiral Hipper is depicted completely empty, whereas Prinz Eugen is fully loaded, i.e. for a waterline model of Admiral Hipper the hull has to be buried about 3 mm in a diorama plate or 3 mm have to be removed.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:46 am 

In addition, a good starting point could be a Hipper kit with a Prinz bow attached, if it is not possible to modify the Hipper bow. With regard to the superstructure, Blücher is quite similar to the early-war-Hipper. I strongly recommend Stein Gildberg's 1/350 Blücher model. When it comes to smaller details, the differences are piling up, but apart from the bow surgery, most differences should be easy to fix, at least to a point that the model screams "Blücher" ...

Happy modelling ~ Olaf!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:42 pm 

Dan Banks wrote:
hail ya: your picture looks awsome. did you scratch build everything? if not what aftermarket parts and from where? more please!

Retired and now approaching 70 years of age, I have plenty of time, but limited funds :wink:
Everything so far is scratch built (unless you count the brass rivets used for portholes as parts). I only plan to purchase the props, and gun barrels as I don't have, or have access to, a metal lathe. Maybe I'll have to buy staircases a well.
Planks for the hull are cut from knot free pine timber, deck planks from lime veneer and the superstructure so far is mainly made out of styrene and brass sheets.
Here are some pics of the funnel section during construction:

And here is a picture of my last scratch built model, battleship "Richelieu", also in 1/200:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:24 pm 

Very cool, keep up the good work. More questions, whose plans did you use, what period are you going to represent with your fine model?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:05 pm 

Dan Banks wrote:
Very cool, keep up the good work. More questions, whose plans did you use, what period are you going to represent with your fine model?

PG plans are hard to come by, especially in 1/200, and whatever I got hold of had plenty inaccuracies.
So, I've had to draw up my own plans based on various information, mainly from the Prinz Eugen website and the card model "Schwerer Kreuzer Prinz Eugen" from CFM Verlag in Munich. It took me nearly 3 years of research before I had enough information to draw a proper side view and top view to begin the build.
My drawings are too large to post (and is still works in progress), but here is a section from the side view showing the catapult and funnel, just to give you an idea:

My hull plan is based on "Prinz Eugen - SMB bauplan" (W Seiss/Franz Mrva). A fellow modeller in the US was kind enough to email me 'Spantlinien' and 'Langelinien' from his drawing, which in turn I converted to scale 1/200.

The best overall plan I have seen so far is the one from Kagero by Waldemar Goralski in scale 1/350.

Detailed drawings and templates (armament, cranes, fittings, platforms, etc) are constructed 'on the go' as I progress

The model, when finished, will represent early 1945 at the time of handover in Copenhagen (there is a really good description of this period earlier in the thread [Jan 29, 2009] made by Olaf Held).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:39 pm 

Poul how long time did you use on the Richelieu ?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:03 am 

Oterlia wrote:
Poul how long time did you use on the Richelieu ?

It took me 3 years and more than 7,000 parts to build her.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:49 am 

That's impressive Poul.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:52 pm 

Hi guys :wave_1:

step by step I'm preparing to my next model. It will be Admiral Hipper 1:350 :big_grin: And I have a problem with paint scheme. I chose from march 1941 but I found many schemes and I don't know which is correct :( Just click in the miniature, If you click it will be much bigger

this is instruction from trumpeter

this I found in admiral hipper class website

this I found in kbismarck forum

and this I found in german naval camouflage

In every photo there are difference in paint scheme especially in the upper hull and superstructure

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:44 am 

These are all secondary sources. In my opinion you should stick to photos of the actual ship. It could be that all the artists doing those illustrations had photos showing exactly what they painted, maybe the photos were just taken a few weeks apart.

Some camouflage schemes developed over the course of a couple of weeks or months. If you see a stripe here or there in those illustrations, and you can't find it in photos, then just rule it out.

Happy painting ~ Olaf!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:40 am 

Olaf Held wrote:
If you see a stripe here or there in those illustrations, and you can't find it in photos, then just rule it out.

Happy painting ~ Olaf!

You are right, it will be the best solution, thanks :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:31 pm 

This photo adds nothing for the model builder. But historically it shows Prinz Eugen firing back at a Fleet Air Arm attack in which she shot down 2-3 attackers and avoided damage. Off Norway I believe in 42. Seen from a FAA attacker.
I have been working on Germany's warships versus air attacks. Found this in the hunt for data. Working on a list of all confirmed victories by German surface warships.

Attachments:
File comment: Under air attack, AA flashes.
17 May 1942.  Prince Eguen.jpg
17 May 1942. Prince Eguen.jpg [ 44.95 KiB | Viewed 6982 times ]
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 394 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 20  Next