The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:59 pm 

Mutsuo Sasaki wrote:
I went ahead and picked up that magazine, as well as a Maru Special on the Furutaka class. I'm also thinking of getting Miyukikai's 1/200 Furutaka plans then just trying to figure out where to go from there. As long as I can get the shape correct I can always update and put more detail onto the model later.

uhmm,I simply wonder if miyukikai can manage to make it (the modernized version)on 1/200. He has had F´taka/Kako on his future plan list since 2004-7, iirc,but other ambitous folk might be able to do it.

His website mentions that he has plans for Furutaka circa 1941 in 1/200 scale for sale. The plans are from after the ship was modernized to be more similar to the Aoba class, but I believe that I can use his plans to fill in the blanks of the 1/700 scale plans from the Model Art magazine and "Japanese Cruisers of the Pacific War". Of course it would be a lot more helpful if someone had access to Japanese Navy archives to see if there's any plans still lying around for Furutaka and Kako's initial fit, but I think that's a bit too much to hope for.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:05 am 

Arael wrote:
Mutsuo Sasaki wrote:
I went ahead and picked up that magazine, as well as a Maru Special on the Furutaka class. I'm also thinking of getting Miyukikai's 1/200 Furutaka plans then just trying to figure out where to go from there. As long as I can get the shape correct I can always update and put more detail onto the model later.

uhmm,I simply wonder if miyukikai can manage to make it (the modernized version)on 1/200. He has had F´taka/Kako on his future plan list since 2004-7, iirc,but other ambitous folk might be able to do it.

His website mentions that he has plans for Furutaka circa 1941 in 1/200 scale for sale. The plans are from after the ship was modernized to be more similar to the Aoba class, but I believe that I can use his plans to fill in the blanks of the 1/700 scale plans from the Model Art magazine and "Japanese Cruisers of the Pacific War". Of course it would be a lot more helpful if someone had access to Japanese Navy archives to see if there's any plans still lying around for Furutaka and Kako's initial fit, but I think that's a bit too much to hope for.

-------------------------
i must say his future researches into both Kako and Aoba class cruisers are in a total stalemate. Besides, he´s not interested in the earlier version of those cruisers. I had received a mail from you,but i was not able to relpy due to busyness in other things since August.my apology.
Miyuki-kai used to ask me when he wanted to start something new, but the bilateral connection had been disrupted between us,of some reason or other since late 2012.
So there´s a fat chance from his side.

For the time being i´m deeply involved in warplanes matters, and have almost no time for ships, sorry.
Mutsuo S.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:40 pm 

Okay, I started working on my ship. I picked up Profile Morskie's Furutaka plans and made up some plans of my own by photoshopping together the side views from the magazine along with the frames and hull form diagrams from Japanese Cruisers of the Pacific War. Problem is, the hull forms from Profile Morskie and Japanese Cruisers are slightly different in the deck undulation. Now keep in mind that I had to blow up the diagrams from Japanese Cruisers by about 400% to reach 1/144 scale, so it's possible that the diagram may have been warped when I resized it. In your opinions, which ones should I use? Profile Morskie's or the ones from Japanese Cruisers?

This is the one from Japanese Cruisers of the Pacific War

These are the ones from Profile Morskie

Now I know that the fit I'm building did not have those large bulges showing on Morskie's plans, so I will have to modify those portions. The main concern is the deck lines.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:48 pm 

Arael wrote:
Okay, I started working on my ship. I picked up Profile Morskie's Furutaka plans and made up some plans of my own by photoshopping together the side views from the magazine along with the frames and hull form diagrams from Japanese Cruisers of the Pacific War. Problem is, the hull forms from Profile Morskie and Japanese Cruisers are slightly different in the deck undulation. Now keep in mind that I had to blow up the diagrams from Japanese Cruisers by about 400% to reach 1/144 scale, so it's possible that the diagram may have been warped when I resized it. In your opinions, which ones should I use? Profile Morskie's or the ones from Japanese Cruisers?

This is the one from Japanese Cruisers of the Pacific War

These are the ones from Profile Morskie

Now I know that the fit I'm building did not have those large bulges showing on Morskie's plans, so I will have to modify those portions. The main concern is the deck lines.

I would suggest comparing Drawing 2.4 to Drawing 6.14 in Lacroix and Wells. My conclusion from comparing these two single hull profile drawings of Furutaka is that the Profile Morskie hull profiles are of the Furutaka following the 1939 modernization, which is no longer in the configuration you intend to model. The Lacroix and Wells profiles are for the Furutaka as originally constructed. Stay tuned, and some of the real experts may chime in... The modernization increased the maximum beam from 16.5m to 16.9m, which doesn't sound like all that much, but is probably also consistent with the Profile Morskie drawings being of a modernized Furutaka.

The main deck lines do not appear to have been significantly changed in the modernization, and the two sets of profiles look to be fairly similar in that regard (there may be some distortion during scanning, copying, printing...)

DavidK

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:55 pm 

These are two of my favorite pictures of the Kako and Furutaka in their original configuration.

Attachments:
Kako pre modernization.jpg
Kako pre modernization.jpg [ 105.72 KiB | Viewed 18058 times ]
Furutaka pre modernization.jpg
Furutaka pre modernization.jpg [ 123.3 KiB | Viewed 18058 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:28 pm 

I don't know enough to comment further than David's already astute observations. I think Mucho needs to wade in here.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:58 pm 

yea,the second centerline drawing are for the 2nd modernization.
Size of the bulge is clearly seeable for Kako and Aoba class respectivley on this,too.
DavidK, pls advise me of your mailaddress,so i can transmit it in a higher rez together with other gents replying here.

BR
mutsuo kotani

Attachments:
ASIfurutaka project low.jpg
ASIfurutaka project low.jpg [ 16.58 KiB | Viewed 18016 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:54 am 

Is there any consensus on the most comprehensive source for the layouts of these classes any any particular time? It seems this thread is a good starting point, but with the Photoshack issues, I'm guessing most supporting images are now gone.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:38 am 

Well, Gakken #44 and Model Art Ship Modeling Special #23 are pretty good references, as are some of the Maru Specials. At one time, there was a website devoted to ship illustrations similar to what is seen on Shipbucket.com that had a pretty comprehensive set of illustrations for all the sisters in their progressive fits. It seemed really accurate. Not on the Shipbucket.com site now, from what I can see.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:10 pm 

Dan's two suggestions both have lots of pictures. I have both on my book shelf. 44 has some nice Aoba drawings.

Another reference is Kagero Press's Super Drawings in 3D for the Heavy Cruiser Aoba by Waldemar Goralski and Miroslaw Skwiot. It has some really big drawings folded up inside at 1/350 scale in addition to being in English (for those of us who don't read any Japanese). (If you want one of these and can't find it on-line somewhere, let me know. I think I have two.)

As Dan did, I will respond here for both the Furutaka/Kako and the Aoba/Kinugasa requests.

Dave

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:24 am 

Thank you, Dan K and DavidK, for your replies. I checked my references and I have all the ones suggested. My concern was with the comments that Mucho had posted which seemed to have utter disdain for everything extant on the subject. I also wonder how his large-scale project is progressing.

I'd like to update the YMW 1/350 kit, but I'll have to redraw the brass and find replacements for the metal parts since the molds for those did not survive. Do either of you know of any problem areas that have been reported by builders of this kit? I'm going to try wading through this thread this evening to see if I can find anything.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:36 am 

It's been a while since Mucho posted, and I haven;t been in touch with him in the longest time. His 1/100 Furutaka, as featured in the Gakken volume, remains the best single reference model I know of.

You might want to PM Bob LaPadura to see if he has any thoughts on it. He built a magnificient version of the YMK kit, though it might be 10-15 years ago.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 8:37 pm 

Furutaka was found by R/V Petrel in February, though just announced the other day, She's in three pieces.

Attachments:
Furutaka bow.jpg
Furutaka bow.jpg [ 191.02 KiB | Viewed 16305 times ]
Furutaka main turret.jpg
Furutaka main turret.jpg [ 115.49 KiB | Viewed 16305 times ]
Furutaka 12cm AA.jpg
Furutaka 12cm AA.jpg [ 137.83 KiB | Viewed 16305 times ]
Furutaka 25mm twinjpg.jpg
Furutaka 25mm twinjpg.jpg [ 124.7 KiB | Viewed 16305 times ]
Furutaka torpedo mount  2.jpg
Furutaka torpedo mount 2.jpg [ 132.2 KiB | Viewed 16305 times ]
Furutaka torpedo stowage .jpg
Furutaka torpedo stowage .jpg [ 125.78 KiB | Viewed 16305 times ]
Furutaka torpedo stowage with trolleys.jpg
Furutaka torpedo stowage with trolleys.jpg [ 109.4 KiB | Viewed 16305 times ]
Furutaka prop.jpg
Furutaka prop.jpg [ 117.05 KiB | Viewed 16305 times ]
Furutaka stern anchor.jpg
Furutaka stern anchor.jpg [ 173.27 KiB | Viewed 16305 times ]
Furutaka director.jpg
Furutaka director.jpg [ 180.65 KiB | Viewed 16305 times ]
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:06 am 

Three if you count the bridge structure as a piece. Looks like the bow broke off before the forward turrets. The main portion of the wreck is upright and in fairly good condition, it seems. They found Fubuki back in 2015, so that means both IJN wrecks from Cape Esperance have now been located.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 2:39 am 

My son in law having been asked to renew the Furutaka model, he seems to be busy changing antenna riggings this week.The degaussing cable was attached to the model by me, September 10th. last year. On the night of the day before a mighty typhoon #13 landed on the Kanto area.The Furutaka model was in danger, but it had cleared the ordeal as it was inside of plexiglass casemate. Owner of Miyuki-kai didn´t escape from the typhoon harzard..uha.

cheers,

Attachments:
ASI古鷹空中線考察2.jpg
ASI古鷹空中線考察2.jpg [ 51.27 KiB | Viewed 15448 times ]
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 8:13 pm 

Thanks for posting the rigging diagram, Mucho.

Quote:
Owner of Miyuki-kai didn´t escape from the typhoon harzard..uha.

Yes, another board member just wrote Miyuki-kai for a plan of Tone and got this response:

"Sorry to say, All Plan are unavailable. All plan were damaged by the rainwater of typhoon."

I hope he will be able to resume copying the plans at some point. Maybe not; I know he is an older gentlemen. It would be a great loss.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 4:34 am 

Dan K wrote:
Thanks for posting the rigging diagram, Mucho.

Quote:
Owner of Miyuki-kai didn´t escape from the typhoon harzard..uha.

Yes, another board member just wrote Miyuki-kai for a plan of Tone and got this response:

"Sorry to say, All Plan are unavailable. All plan were damaged by the rainwater of typhoon."

I hope he will be able to resume copying the plans at some point. Maybe not; I know he is an older gentlemen. It would be a great loss.

That was the second time he had mishap.His house was burned down in a fire that broke out in his former house in the past,all documents,files,photos and books went with it. Fire and tyhoon,a big earthquake will be near while people forget it, and future volcano eruption of the dormant mt.Fuji.as well as tsunami. A modeller lost his life together with his large scale IJN shipmodels incl. 1/100 Tone and many,got swept away by the tsunami,was at Fukushima. I myself have been trying to persuade the son-in-law into giving Furutaka model away to Yasukuni shrine¨s Yushuu-kan museum ,without success yet.

mucho,

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 11:06 am 

Hoping transport of both Furutaka and Aoba models in a van will be done safe and sound tomorrow morning, on Sunday. They are to take pics of both of the models on the next day at Tokyo. Planes and boats are removed for safety reason while the repair work is under way.
cheers,
mucho

Attachments:
furutka repaired.jpg
furutka repaired.jpg [ 232.53 KiB | Viewed 14477 times ]
ASIIMG_7857.jpg
ASIIMG_7857.jpg [ 134.51 KiB | Viewed 14477 times ]
from futtsu to Tokyo.jpg
from futtsu to Tokyo.jpg [ 101.05 KiB | Viewed 14477 times ]
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 9:06 pm 

Good to see Furutaka again, Mucho. What's the occasion for the photography?

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:22 am 

Dan K wrote:
Good to see Furutaka again, Mucho. What's the occasion for the photography?

I believe they are to be used as starting pages for the Navy Yard magazine, the 47th issue, Dan.
mucho,

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next