The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 314 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 16  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:52 pm 

Sorry, nothing in 1/72. They would be very, very large sheets.

Special Navy U-Boot Type XXIII 1:72
Revell DKM Bismarck 1:350
Tauro RN Fiume, Pola, Zara, Gorizia 1:400
Heller DKM Admiral Scheer 1:400
Revell DKM Schnellboot S-100 1:72

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:09 pm 
Hi There

I am building Academy's premium edition and I have a problem decifering what goes on the stern deck between the last two bolards. Academy on their kit plans show an AA and the anchor chain going to the capstain at the froward end of the deck, Their Photo Etch instructions don't show where it starts from. I have checked other ships in the gallery and all the photos of the real ship, they all show different things, real ship photos of the stern are hard to find and see the configuration on the deck. Some models show the AA gun between the bollards and some don't. If the AA isn't there what is there for the anchor chain, All instructions and photos I have seen don't make it very clear.

I hope I am explaining this sufficiently enough to get help from you guys.

Thanks for any suggestions

Bill

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:39 pm 

Hi Bill ~ I felt free to merge your topic with the existing one. :wave_1:

With regard to your question, please have a look at those illustrations:

http://kbismarck.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=467

If they are correct, they did not change a thing on the stern deck. The anchor cable seems just to disappear into that 'box'. I'm not sure what is going on there, we need to look at other KM ships of that time and how they did it.

Happy modelling ~ Olaf!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:35 am 

thanks Olaf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:51 am 

Hi all :wave_1:
Im going to buy a 1/350 Graf spee next week and im torn between Both Academy premium edition or Trumpeter kit.
If I buy the Trump kit I will also get the Pontos wood decks and Seamaster barrel set.Both work out about the same price.

What would you recommend?

Many thanks
Karl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:13 pm 

DKMKARL -

If you start at page three (3) of this thread, and read on, there is an in-depth comparison of both kits.

:thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:10 pm 

I have a query about Admiral Scheer - Having just finished Koop's book on the Deutschland Class, I cannot find any answer as to why she had her pagoda-style tower replaced with a more pole-like structure.

Does any one know anything more as to why this structure was changed?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:41 pm 

I seem to recall reading that it was because the tower was too distinctive. For a raider that was trying to pass as something else until it was too late, the tower was too dificult to disguise. However, I don't remember where I got this, or how accurate it is.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:34 am 

Well I orded the Academy premium edition after looking at both kits.Just like to thank WEM for keeping it for me as they only had 1 in stock when I phoned them up and they keeped it untill my money was available.
I will post some pictures of the box and sprue parts when it comes.
Feel like a kid at christmas :yeah:

Cheers all
Karl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:31 pm 

Quick question about Spee's then floating wreckage. What colour would the ship have been after burning? I've been studying this image to try and figure it out. There look like some remnants of the light grey paint still there. Reason for this is I have a 1/400 LEE kit I cut the bow off and I figured I can still use the structures to make a wreck diorama.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:07 pm 

Any hope or rumors that either Trumpeter or Academy (or dare we hope, Dragon) will be producing an Admiral Scheer version?

Special Navy U-Boot Type XXIII 1:72
Revell DKM Bismarck 1:350
Tauro RN Fiume, Pola, Zara, Gorizia 1:400
Heller DKM Admiral Scheer 1:400
Revell DKM Schnellboot S-100 1:72

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:14 pm 
Is anyone aware of photos or first-hand accounts of Graf Spee's supposed use of the AR-196 in French or RAF markings? I have seen artist's renderings of this; it's pure speculation on their part, or is there something to this?
The new volume of German Naval Camouflage '39-'41 does not reference this as far as I can tell..... BTW a very worthwhile purchase if DKM is your thing.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:03 am 
I'm building the Trumpeter kit and if you follow the instructions the backs of the 150mm turrets will be open. Is this correct or were the turrets fully enclosed? Based on several photos, I think they were enclosed. Does anyone who has built this kit know whether there is a "phantom" part included to represent the turret door?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:14 pm 

Eduard PE have armoured doors in their set and the Eduard instructions show them fitted in the open position, suppose they could also be fitted in the closed position.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:27 pm 
Thanks, Bill. I'm using the Eduard set so I'll see how they look in the "closed" position. Odd that Trumpeter wouldn't provide the turret doors ... unless I haven't found them yet. I know Dragon is known for phantom parts but I have less experience with Trumpeter kits.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:06 pm 

An example of this gun is preserved in a Norwegian fortress, installed there by the Nazis. Here's a picture of the rear: http://lh6.ggpht.com/-5v04Sptqz3A/SH39z ... CF3827.JPG

It seems that there would be very little to no room for sailors to load/operate the gun if the doorway was closed. I recall reading elsewhere on the forum that a canvas piece was used to keep out the elements, rather than any substantial metal hatch.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:21 pm 

Timmy C wrote:
It seems that there would be very little to no room for sailors to load/operate the gun if the doorway was closed. I recall reading elsewhere on the forum that a canvas piece was used to keep out the elements, rather than any substantial metal hatch.

That is correct. The 5.9'' gun mount was not fully enclosed. A small part...about 1/3 of the beam of the shield...would be opened and closed only with canvas. I've posted a photo some time ago on the board about it that could clearly show the back of mount. Can't seem to find it but it was peacetime I believe with some high-ranking DKM officers passing by one of the 5.9''. Some of Spee's famous damage photos also show part of the back of the mounts in question.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:43 pm 

I have a question about the Admiral Graf Spee's windlasses. I'm working from Abram Joslin/Antonio Bonomi's overhead view of the ship in December 1939 and it shows the top of the port side windlass painted in a red/white pinwheel and the top of the starboard side windlass painted in a green/white pinwheel. However, looking at photos of the Admiral Graf Spee at the time of the Spithead naval review the tops appear to be a uniform color and the sides to have been painted. Which is correct?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:35 am 

Bill Gormley wrote:
Which is correct?

You are really asking if a photo or an illustration is correct? :whistle:

Happy modelling ~ Olaf!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:36 am 

Hello everybody,

@ Bill,

I am having hard time realizing what you mean about the Graf Spee, ... can you attach here a pic of that detail so I can take a look for you.

Thanks ... Bye Antonio :thumbs_up_1:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 314 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 16  Next